1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best Spyware Removal Program?

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by mike41, Nov 5, 2007.

1. mike41

mike41 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Evga 560ti
    what would oyu say is the best?

2. SolidBladez

SolidBladez Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti OC
  3. Clawedge

Clawedge Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 570
    webroot spyware remover

4. fischju

fischju Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Visiontek Radeon HD 4850
    Windows Defender is great, but I also use Adaware and Spybot

5. Animatrix

Animatrix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    BFG 8800GT OC2 512
  6. clawhamer

clawhamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 780 Classified
  7. alphaphotek

alphaphotek Master Guru

GPU:
    2x MSI GTX 260 SLI
    I love spyware doctor, that **** works wel. Gotta pay to play though

8. Shaman391

Shaman391 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 66GT 128mb@600/1320 1.6ns
    spybot is the best, and it's free. pay... lol :)

9. Animatrix

Animatrix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    BFG 8800GT OC2 512
    Please do not use SmitfraudFix unless you know what you are doing or you where specifically asked to use it by someone qualified - it should only be when appropriate. It's the same for tools like ComboFix, SDFix, VundoFix and VirtumundoBeGone. All are specialized tools made for the removal of specific malware and are not meant to be used as detection scanners. Most times a hijackthis log will be required before you can tell which tool to use. Again these tools where made specifically to aid in the removal of malware that many AS scanners can not remove themselves. But i agree SmitfraudFix is a nice tool to have in your arsenal.

10. Animatrix

Animatrix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    BFG 8800GT OC2 512
    I agree that spybot is or sadly was a classic. Unfortunately tests have shown it not to have a very good detection rate anymore and it seems like it did not keep up with times. But it is still one of the scanners you can trust and that alone is worth something i think.

11. clawhamer

clawhamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 780 Classified

Very true, the reason I mentioned smitfraudfix was because I use it on a daily basis to remove malware that spyware/virus scanners are unable to. The amount of PCs with this type of infection is mind boggling; I’ve seen to many people reinstall Windows because they simply aren’t aware of this type of infection or how to remove it. I was hoping by posting the link, others would read the page and become educated on other tools that aren’t the norm; like the other lesser known removal tools you mentioned.

12. Animatrix

Animatrix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    BFG 8800GT OC2 512
    You are quite right. It is in fact just sad how bad AV's protect against it. Some worse then others. NOD32 has on wilderssecurity a thread just for this
    The reason why i leave such tools out both here but also in the sticky is just to play safe. But come to think of it i might add them with a warning and explaining when to use them.

13. sava700

sava700 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080GTX FWT
    It depends on what your infected with.. superantispyware works fine but if really hosed then I suggest running it in safemode along with spybot (without tea timer..annoying crap)

Also check HijackThis logs and clean out any junk, use MSAutoRuns to check to see whats running on startup etc. Most spyware is stuck to the memory and therefore won't remove very easily.

Suggest viewing hidin files and cleaning out Temp and Temp internet folders of profiles along with running Crap Cleaner to ensure everything else is cleaned.

It takes time depending on whats there..but Vundo variants are very annoying not to mention the company that made em is in Court :)

14. clawhamer

clawhamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 780 Classified

Not only do I think that’s a great idea, but necessary for fellow gurus to see and understand just what and how these infections look and work. Perhaps they could have their own section with an example screenshot and which tool is needed to remove the specific infection. I realize this would be an enormous amount of work on your part, but in so many cases these are the only tools that will cure the problem.

The frustration rate of users increases when their favorite well known anti-virus/spyware programs are unable recognize then; yet the user knows something is taking control of their system.

15. Animatrix

Animatrix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    BFG 8800GT OC2 512
    I have added them under "Specialized removal tools" with a short explanation or warning really, then for each of the tools i also link to a guide explaining the tool.

There are a few threads now and then where people ask for cleaning help but it is fairly infrequent. I don't think that many will come here for that, and often i will find they have a thread in some known cleaning place. Maybe because it will take a little time before one of the cleaners can get to them.