Best socket and processor for emulators...?

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards Intel' started by superpoeper, Aug 24, 2017.

1. superpoeper

superpoeper Active Member

GPU:
    Asus GTX1070 O8G
    i am running a i7 920 at 3.7ghz on air

i plan to upgrade in a couple of months
    The price is of lesser concern.

what would be the best socket/processor for emulators (that is also rather future proof for regular gaming)?
    I do a lot of emulation gaming of the more recent consoles like ps2 (with pcsx2), psp (with ppsspp), wii U (with CEMU), wii/gamecube (with dolphin) and a lot of older retro gaming

(i am a game collector and own the games i play though emulation for higher res graphics / higher FPS)

So in short i'm looking for the best performer for the "heavy" emulators like CEMU and PCSX2...
    Would it be Socket 2066 , coffee lake on 1151 or TR4 or AM4?

Please advise

2. Tree Dude

Tree Dude Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon R9 270X 2GB
    You are looking for the best single threaded performance you can get for emulators. So you are looking at an Intel i5 or i7, preferably a K series so you can overclock it. Emulators tend to not benefit from a ton of cores, so a quad should be just fine. You can grab a Kaby Lake now or wait and get a Coffee Lake if you want a 6 core over a 4 core.

3. CalculuS

CalculuS Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660Ti
    High clockspeed and high IPC is king in emulation.

Anything past sandy bridge will do fine for most emulations and overclocked and past will make sure you can put on some extra eyecandy.

4. NiColaoS

NiColaoS Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660 SUPER
    Are you kidding me? K series and overclock for just a damn emulator which works even with ATARI 2600?

Get the Intel G4560 with a cheap motherboard and 4GB RAM ( or 8GB since DDD3 is cheap). This should more than enough. Now if you consider for better games, too, wait for legenderay i5 8600K as I do. Of course it's be gonna way more than the budget from the former build I mentioned, but OK. Fortunately and I hope the 8600 is gonna be around 250€ plus an ASRock Extreme 4 motherboard around 120€

Last edited: Aug 27, 2017
    airbud7 likes this.

5. Tree Dude

Tree Dude Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon R9 270X 2GB
    If you had read the original post better then you'd know he's focusing on emulation of newer systems like PS2 and WII U. Some horse power is necessary especially for WII U emulation.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2017
  6. airbud7

airbud7 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    Yea^...can't wait for benchmarks on the 8600k/8700k