Best OS for games in here

Discussion in 'Links' started by Dave, Nov 25, 2002.

1. IndianScout

IndianScout Banned

GPU:
    GTX580 SLI
    thought I would move this here

Here is some interesting info I came across after 2 days of testing..

Test rig specs are to the right in my profile

I tested Battlefield 1942 on both XP Pro and Win98se

CPU Usage

win98se 60%
    winxp 98%

Temp IDLE

win98se 32c
    winxp 43c

Temp LOAD

win98se 38c
    winxp 48c

Pings same server

win98se 41
    winxp 68

on the XP I saw the normal random crashes in Battlefield, with the 98se I saw none, gameplay on Xp was a bit smoother but on 98se it seemed faster more responsive....

This kinda makes me wonder which OS is better for gaming and what system specs are needed when a game demands 98% of the CPU usage.....

****NOTE on the test for 98se memory was decreased to 512M

let me know what you think

2. 3dfxvoodoo7maka

3dfxvoodoo7maka Active Member

GPU:
    ATI x800Pro(472/450)
    It is normal that win98 is faster since it doesn't have so much stuff loaded, but winxp isn't a bad OS either, after you tweak couple of settings and optimize it.

One thing I'm sure, Win98 is much more hit in performance when sound is enabled in games, then XP is.

I tested THPS4 on win98 and it lags so much, but it has good fps. When I disable sound it goes perfectly.
    Then again Over Xp, with sound it doesn't lag like on win98 but it doesn't have the FPS, and without sound not much faster.

We need a ONLY gaming OS, :)

3. serAph

serAph Guest

winXP is so much better. Name one thing that 98SE "supposedly" does better than XP and I'll tell you why it doesnt. Go ahead - try me. Ive been tweaking both for many a year now...

4. nm+

nm+ Don Cappuccino Staff Member

GPU:
    old
    Give you time to take a leak while its booting :D

5. serAph

serAph Guest

haha - ok you got me beat there ;)

honestly tho - I dont think very many people realize the benefit of having a pure 32bit kernel. the 9x Kernel was part 16bit part 32 bit. Its VERY conducive to crashing and inefficiency. XP virtually never crashes. I think Ive crashed it maybe 3 or 4 times in a matter of years - 9x kernels crashed on me 3 or 4 times a day...

6. Cogar

Cogar Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI NX6600GT
    Good information, Ojibewa! :)

7. -=CBK=-Myk3

-=CBK=-Myk3 Master Guru

GPU:
    PNY Geforce FX 5500 128mb 270/400 (Stock)
    Win2k has crashed on me 3 or 4 times too, and i've had it for like 3-4 years, Win2k SP4 is a great OS, along with Linux.

I'm sorry but I strongly disagree that XP Pro is a stable OS, I have seen XP Pro & XP Home Edition in action for hours on end, and they seem to be a LOT more crash prone (even with SP1!!!), I think that Win2k SP4 is the best OS for games (Compatability tab was on it before XP was even made!). I rest my case. ;)

8. serAph

serAph Guest

XP Pro is by far the most stable windows out there - proven fact. Its mainly because of Win2K's shaky driver support. All the computers here where I work are on 2k sp4 and they all give me "at least one service or driver failed to initialize during startup." Its ridiculous.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2003
  9. ZioniX

ZioniX Maha Guru

GPU:
    Leadtek WinFast A6600 GT TDH
    As serAph is saying XP is M$ best OS so far in term of stability. For gaming now: there was a review that was done in PC EXtreme mag and they all came to the conclusion that win98 was the best - I was astound but it's the truth. Both W2K and XP offer the same performance though!

10. Ne0pHyT3

Ne0pHyT3 Guest

I agree, XP is definitely the best MS O/S at the moment. I doubt there'll be enough of a performance difference to justify sticking with the Win 9x/ME bunch.

The longest I've had XP running without restarting or anything was 27 days. But then I blew a fuse somehow....;)..

11. locki

locki Guest

hi!
    i have 2000 and i agree with you that 2000 is the BEST os for gaming without a shout of a doubt, im gaining 5-10 fps on games over xp. however, before, in finding the best setting for my rig, i tried out several sp's from ms, and each sp gave me slower performance...must be because more and more background services are being runned or something else. have u tried playing on ur win2000 without a sp?

12. nm+

nm+ Don Cappuccino Staff Member

GPU:
    old
    If you don't install teh sps, tell me how the viruses are

13. -=CBK=-Myk3

-=CBK=-Myk3 Master Guru

GPU:
    Hmm yes the only thing i've experienced without SP's are Corrupt Icons, thats it though!, anyway I can get rid of viruses easily.

14. DrSiN

DrSiN Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 560 Ti OC 1G
    ive been using Xp since it launched.

i found that installing service packs caused jerkyness in games and longer boot and loading times
    all i use now is Winxp Pro with about 25 services disabled

this cut loading time for mirc 6.03 by 25 ms might not sound like a lot but its takes me 1.6 seconds to load it and thats quite a big cut from just dropping some unused services

15. ROMA_TUROK

ROMA_TUROK Member Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1080
    DrSiN what the service you disable?
    You have web site for explaining what the service disable?

16. locki

locki Guest

i dont get viruses, nor worms, because my system is secured and dont need such sps...

17. Phoenikx

Phoenikx Master Guru

GPU:
    Myself
    Dave ...

In gaming, no any other OS can compete with :
    * Windows98 :smoke:

18. -=CBK=-Myk3

-=CBK=-Myk3 Master Guru

GPU:
    Aren't IBM supporting Linux now, and people say Linux is unpopular BAH, my dad managed to persuade people at his workplace to start using Linux, & it is a success.

19. -=CBK=-Myk3

-=CBK=-Myk3 Master Guru

GPU:
    Oh yeah, my dad uses a Sony VAIO at his workplace & he has it connected to a 15" TFC LCD Monitor by Dell, he says he has major problems with XP & I believe him because I have tried doing some stuff on his Laptop & the amount of errors he gets is ridiculous, plus he has a motion-sensing camera on his laptop & XP deleted the ****ing drivers so we can't use it anymore, I hate XP.

20. JeyNyce

JeyNyce Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Galaxy 670GTX 4GB OC
    IMNO Win2K SP4 Is the most stable OS out there. I'm using it for my gaming rig. It's nice and basic. It doesn't have all the "window dressing" like XP has.