1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best odds reaching a stable 5+ GHz overclock on all cores

Discussion in 'Die-hard Overclocking & Case Modifications' started by WebMaximus, Jan 22, 2019.

1. WebMaximus

WebMaximus Member

GPU:
    DDR3-2400 / 16GB
    As the topic suggests, what CPU would give me the best odds reaching a stable 5+ GHz overclock on all cores?

The CPUs I'm considering are:

The 8086K is a good contender I guess since it's a "factory binned" 8700K out of the box.

The 9700K is not as power hungry as the 9900K and thus would produce less heat meaning better chances to reach a stable and high overclock without the temps going through the roof.

The 9900K is more power hungry vs both the 9700K and the 8086K but since I won't need the HT meaning I can disable it, maybe that would increase my chances reaching a high and stable overclock while at the same time keeping the temps healthy.

I'm also wondering if the 9900K in fact might be a 9700K binned by Intel to make sure it will be able to reach its listed clocks with HT added and then get the 9900K label rather than the 9700K label? However, since it also comes with more cache I guess they indeed are two completely different CPUs?

As for motherboards, I'm an MSI guy and have been looking at the MEG Z390 Ace or the MPG Z390 Gaming Pro Carbon. Not sure if the latter would do the job just fine or if the Ace would increase my odds reaching a stable 5+ GHz overclock?

Many thanks for any tips and input!

2. UZ7

UZ7 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2070 GZ
    Its really a toss up. I got my 9700K a few months ago and its been pretty good on me in both voltages (1.25~), temps, and it can hit 5.4GHz (binned?). I keep it at 5.0GHz to keep my temps and voltages down. Now I've seen some posts online where they need 1.3+ V to reach 5GHz+ and even on the 9900K I've seen some people needing that much and/or having even lower.

While it does make sense saying 9700K is a lower batch of a 9900K, theres so much factors that would probably say it isn't. I can say (since I have) that my 9700K does 5.0-5.3GHz OC, 5.4GHz bootable (benchmark purposes) but the same thing cant be said for all 9900K as YMMV as well.

I think 5.0GHz is very achievable but anything past that will be binning.

8086K/9700K will be fine on any of the Z390 motherboards. 9900K overclocking I would suggest one with better phases/VRMs. And that's with Gigabyte Aurous, ASRock, and so forth. I got an Asus motherboard but their quality has gone down recently.

3. WebMaximus

WebMaximus Member

GPU:
    DDR3-2400 / 16GB
    Wow, looks like you got really lucky in the silicon lottery! Congrats :)

Even when I haven't made my mind up 100% I think I'll go with the 8086K. This since that seems to give me the best odds achieving a high and stable overclock which is my main goal.

That also means I can settle for the Gaming Pro Carbon saving a few bucks.

Speaking about motherboards and CPUs, I've noticed how some (most?) of the Z390 boards come with two CPU PWR connectors. Either two EPS12 or one EPS12 and one P4 connectors.

When asking elsewhere, people seems to agree using both is only required for extreme overclocking. At the same time, the manual for the Ace motherboard for example says all power connectors need to be plugged in to ensure proper operation.

My Corsair HX850W PSU only comes with one EPS12 connector so I guess I'll just buy one of those inexpensive Molex->P4 adapters allowing me to have both plugged in for peace of mind. The Gaming Pro Carbon comes with one EPS12 and one P4 as I recall it.

4. jura11

jura11 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX1080 Ti 1080 FE
    Hi there

I have recently built loop for friend where we are used like 8700k abd 8086k, both has been able break 5.0GHz barrier, with 8700k we are been able to run 5.1GHz as max at 1.41v which is bit high but his 8700k has been dud OC'er, 5.2GHz needed close to 1.5v that's delidded and motherboard we are used in both cases Asus Maximus X Formula

8086k with that, we are been running 5.2GHz with 1.375v stable like in Cinebench or Asus Realbench stress test or OCCT 4.4.2, 5.1GHz needed only 1.28v and 5.0GHz I think needed just 1.25v

Temperatures on 8700k has been in mid 80's and 8086k temperatures has been in mid 70's with 5.2GHz, I think with bit of tweaking 5.3GHz should be possible

Hope this helps

Thanks, Jura

5. WebMaximus

WebMaximus Member

GPU:
    DDR3-2400 / 16GB
    That sounds great and I can only hope my 8086K will perform as well as yours.

With that speed and temp, was that with or without delid?

And the way I understand it, you were using a custom water loop?

I'll be using my old Corsair Hydro H100i and hopefully that will be fine. If not I might delid it and use liquid metal.

6. TaskMaster

TaskMaster Master Guru

GPU:
    Strix 2080TI 11gb
    I have i9 9900k and with HT on I have a satable 5ghz on all cores with good temps as I have a liquid cooler. Not one BSOD when running multiple apps and CPU intensive games.

Worth the money for me.

7. WebMaximus

WebMaximus Member

GPU:
    DDR3-2400 / 16GB
    I'm now running my 8086K @ 5.1 GHz @ 1.3v.

Not a top performer being an 8086K but still OK I guess.

8. jura11

jura11 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX1080 Ti 1080 FE

Yours OC is pretty good there, other friend have 8086k which will do 5.1GHz at 1.265v but his chip is cherry picked and he paid for that, if its worth it, I wouldn't say

5.1GHz at 1.3v is good OC there

Hope this helps

Thanks, Jura

9. WebMaximus

WebMaximus Member

GPU:
    DDR3-2400 / 16GB
    Yep, of course it would have been nice to get one of those rare 8086Ks that will do 5.3 @ a reasonable voltage and temps but I'm happy with 5.1 for sure.

10. Cave Waverider

Cave Waverider Master Guru

GPU:
    Titan X (Pascal)@4K
    For what it's worth, I got a Core i9 9900K a couple of days ago and have been running it rock stable through various stress tests, games and all kinds of rendering tasks with 5GHz on all cores with HT at 1.260V on a Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master mainboard with Corsair H115i RGB Platinum CPU cooler.
    I haven't done all that much tweaking yet, I'll still try to go lower on the voltage to see how low it can go stable for 5GHz and after that perhaps try to go and see how high I can ramp up the clocks without loosing 24/7 stability for my system or raising temperatures too far. I'm pretty happy with what I've got to already, though.

11. dune2

dune2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce Titan X Aqua
    I can get my 9900k to 4.9 stable but I already need 1.30v under load (1.32v in bios). 5 GHz is game stable but crashes randomly in stress tests, no matter how much voltage I apply. Temps are OK under water, but it's a hot chip in general. Havent done any lapping or de-lidding. Probably not worth it for another 100 MHz or so.

12. JakeRF

JakeRF New Member

GPU:
    Strix 1070 OC 8Gb
    I got my i7-9700k Friday, oc’ed it yesterday to 5.0ghz to begin with 1.275~ also tried with 1.26~, still stable. Temps are at 60C under AIDA64 tests. I have a Z390 Gigabyte Auros Master board. And TridentsZ 16Gb 3200Mhz and the Noctua D-15 cooler.

I am going to see how it does with 1.25~ with AIDA64. :)

I could try to go higher, but 5Ghz is more than enough (for me) for gaming.

//Jakob

13. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    I don't see the advantage in seeing how low you can go on the voltage except for bragging rights. ;) Unless you're having temp issues, an extra .01 volts keeps you from scratching your head over the random game crash.