1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

BEST Nvidia SLI setting

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by KillerC, Sep 29, 2008.

1. KillerC

KillerC Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 RTX
    Hey y'all , I am fairly new to SLI and so far i have had very few problems with any drivers.

But one of my GPU's always runs hotter then the other , does this mean that one is being used more then the other? and/or would there be another setting to make them work more evenly?

There is like 4 settings for SLI and one for single GPU as far as I can see in the CP , I have my global set to Nvidia Recommended Sli which I assume is the standard , but I don't understand any of the other settings , is there any better setting for games or just a better one in general?

also any links to a good article(s) that explains the difference in these would be greatly appreciated , if one even exists.

thanks and sorry for being dense...:)

2. JPennStar

JPennStar Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD 7970M
    I'd just stick with the Nvidia pre-settings. Usually the GPUs have different temperatures because of the physical placement in the case. My lower VGA is always warmer than the upper VGA because it gets less airflow. But nothing to worry about.

3. KillerC

KillerC Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 RTX
    Thats kinda what I figured , I have my sound card right above my bottom card , because of this fabulous ASUS board layout , which may be hugging the board and warming it up.

I just don't have room for the after market coolers but I found a pretty cool PCI slotted dual fan solution.

http://www.compusa.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=120565&CatId=494

I've put off buying this in the past but I think I may pick it up and see how it does.

thanks

4. Real_DeaL311

Real_DeaL311 Active Member

GPU:
    evga 8800gt stock
    have the same problem, increase your fan speed on the lower card, u should be fine

5. KillerC

KillerC Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 RTX
    I already tried that with Riva Tuner 2.11 but I can't even measure the fan speed because it won't let me select reference fan duty from the list. I also tried to set the fan speed from the default 35% up to like 70 and it just dropped back to 29!

Is there another program that lets me adjust fan speeds for 2 cards in sli?

thanks

6. Real_DeaL311

Real_DeaL311 Active Member

GPU:
    evga 8800gt stock
  7. ereetos

ereetos Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX280 SLi
    newer games will almost always support AFR (alternate frame rendering)

AFR makes 1 card process 1 frame, and the other card process the next frame. This is the fastest way for SLI, but not all games work using this method.

older games often require you to set Split-Frame (one card renders half the frame, the other card renders the other half)

some people have reported problems in games like warcraft3 where the image is completely jerky and looks almost like its ghosting until they manually set the game profile to Split Frame mode in the nvidia control panel.

By using the Nvidia recommended mode, it tries to auto detect the best mode to use, but for some older games it will detect wrong and you'll get a weird picture. You really only need to adjust it for specific game profiles if you're having problems.

8. KillerC

KillerC Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 RTX
    Thanks RealDeal , I think I have it working now , when I tried it before I didn't reboot to detect the fan , probably why it wouldn't stick. and I see the second card now from your picts. I'll give it a try.

and also thank you ereetos , thats a good explanation of Nvidia recommended , I assume since if a game it in the profile of the driver than Nvidia had predetermined the best setting , I am playing STALKER CS right now and it runs ok with the Nvidia Recomended.