1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best nVidia driver for GTX 1060 3GB or Pascal in genral?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Smough, Feb 10, 2019.

1. Smough

Smough Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 1060 3GB
    Best I mean the ones that would give less stutter, not hundreds of fps. I want stability, tons of frames per second mean nothing if everything is gonna be a stutter fest. I've the 399.24 ones and now the 416.94 ones, both felt similar in performance and the games feel ok, bit of stutter on some. I don't even know anymore, nVidia drivers seem to vary so much from one to other.

Maybe someone tried several drivers on Pascal and finally found one that gives the best gaming experience across all games?

2. Velldanas

Velldanas Member

GPU:
    1060 GTX / 3GB
    399.24 and 416.94 are good for 1063. But, as I said earlier in topic 418.81, the latest drivers have increased my fps from ~20fps to 60+ in Division 2.
    Idk, what is this magic, but it is incredible lmao. And I noticed that HITMAN 2 on the latest drivers (418.81) works much smoother than on 416.94.
    But water glitch is returned (like on 416.94), so I am waiting for the next drivers.

p.s. about other games. Horizon 4, ACOdyssey, SotTR, Siege, RE2R works smooth too.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2019
    Smough likes this.
  3. dexterav

dexterav Active Member

GPU:
    Evga GTX1080Ti FE
    i supose need to try yourself this is best thing
    i use allway new driver and in general ist ok all , and in some scenario i see more fps, ofcourse not twice but few fps for free its nice
    more fps in time not only amd feature
    playing WoT, AW, PC2

i talk about 1060MAXQ in notebook, performance its +- like dtp 1060 3 GB

4. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 OC
    Always use the latest driver unless you personally run into stability issues on it.

According to whom? I've been benchmarking drivers on my machine for the last 3-4 years, there's almost no difference in performance on Pascal between what we had back in 2016 compared to what we have in 2019. Several games got noticeable boosts, no games lost anything.

cryohellinc likes this.

5. insp1re2600

insp1re2600 Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080TI OC
    i think stutter would be reduced by having a card with more vram personally, these days.

Cave Waverider and Smough like this.
  6. Smough

Smough Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 1060 3GB
    Yeah, that's true, no amount of optimization by driver will fix lack of VRAM. I think I just need a card with more memory.

7. Smough

Smough Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 1060 3GB
    Well, we have the same GPU, so nothing to lose by giving them a try. Thanks for the advice!

8. ngoni615

ngoni615 Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti 11gb
    I highly doubt a driver upgate got you from 20fps to 60fps.

cryohellinc likes this.
  9. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080Ti
    The latest driver is always the best unless there is some particular issue with it.

Tantawi, dr_rus and Smough like this.
  10. Smough

Smough Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 1060 3GB
    Sometimes at some games stuff like that happens due to optimizations on the driver. However, in cases like his it's genrally because the driver was corrupt and the new one solve the issues he was having.

11. pimpineasy

pimpineasy Master Guru

GPU:
    1050ti/Rx570
    Go Local Parts Store

Apply New Thermal paste, remove air flow blocking bs, apply custom cooling mods.

Apply performance setting in latest driver

Powershell Admin

Get-AppxPackage -AllUsers | Out-GridView -PassThru | Remove-AppxPackage

or

Get-AppxProvisionedPackage -online | Out-GridView -PassThru | Remove-AppxProvisionedPackage -online

Last edited: Mar 2, 2019
  12. Smough

Smough Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 1060 3GB
    If the GPU does not overheat at all, there is no need to re-apply the thermal paste and the custom water cooling mods are for those who do heavy OC on their GPU and keep like that 24/7.

And there is no need to unistall all Windows 10 apps, simply go to "Settings" and disable all background apps, except for Xbox, which some games need it if you use the store.

pimpineasy likes this.
  13. pimpineasy

pimpineasy Master Guru

GPU:
    1050ti/Rx570
    Go read a thermal dynamics book. Then learn about kernel. Then programmed thermal throttling.

14. Smough

Smough Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 1060 3GB
    Or maybe stick with that I see with my own eyes and tests? And know that all GPU manufacturers give a certain temp number before a GPU throttles...

But ok, seems I need to read a bunch of stuff I don't care about and learn about stuff unrelated to gaming to be able to use my GPU properly. Lmao.