best nvidea drivers for Red dead redemption 2 pc

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Abesa, Jun 25, 2020.

1. Abesa

Abesa New Member

GPU:
    gpu 1070
    Iam sorry for posting this, maybe it was already posted here. What are the best nvidea gpu drivers for red dead redemption 2 ? anyone have some insights on this ?

my setup:

i7 8700k
    gtx 1070
    16gb ram
    latest win 10

iam playing on vulkan api, ultrawide ...

thank you a lot, and sry for my english

2. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    the 451 drivers so far provide the best vulkan performance.

3. Cave Waverider

Cave Waverider Master Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 2080 Ti
    451.48 and 451.22 have performed much better than previous drivers in RDR2 for me (using Vulkan on Windows 10 2004). 451.48 feels a tad bit better than 451.22, but that may be subjective.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2020
  4. Susahamat

Susahamat Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 980 Ti Poseidon

5. Adnan008

Adnan008 New Member

GPU:
    Gigab. RTX 2070supr
    maybe, but 451.48 also has vulkan 1.2 support
    so in general -including rdr2- 451.48 whql game ready driver overall would be better choice, dont you think?

6. Abesa

Abesa New Member

GPU:
    gpu 1070
    does rdr2 evan support vulkan 1.2 ?

7. Abesa

Abesa New Member

GPU:
    gpu 1070
    can you give an explenation pls ?

8. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD S. 5700XT Pulse
    Vulkan development driver, adds API support for newer 1.2 SDK's but Red Dead 2 being on 1.1 (Far as I know.) it should only benefit from NVIDIA bug fixes or optimizations that would be more recent than what are already in the 451.48 release driver (Also supporting Vulkan 1.2 but not quite the most recent SDK for it.) so I wouldn't think it matters here all that much.
    (451.48 should be on something like 1.2.130 to maybe 1.2.135 with the development driver probably up to 1.2.141)

Vulkan runtime itself can also be updated but it's not really required for anything unless it has specific bug fixes and I think 1.2.141.2 is mainly a crash fix for the 1.2 SDK and a particular way to call one of these features which wouldn't matter for Vulkan 1.1 or earlier applications. :)

EDIT:
    On the other hand general bug fixes and optimizations in the newest release driver (451.48) could apply to Red Dead 2 plus you get Hardware Accelerated GPU Scheduling or how it's called but I don't know if that even applies through Vulkan but you might see some gains if the game runs on D3D12 mode.

Failing that it's probably similar to Assassin's Creed Origins and Odyssey and you need a very high-end CPU and GPU together to just brute force performance if you don't drop the settings.

Support from the game for DLSS 2.0 would be a neat addition too as it would at least improve GPU performance with a lessened impact on visual quality but I have no idea if Rockstar is doing features or if it's maintenance and bug fixes until GTA V PS5/XBox what's it called and the stand-alone GTA Online as the new project being focused on and whatever is after that.

Not sure if hardware GPU scheduling could do much on the CPU utilization side, D3D12 or Vulkan you might just have to have a particular number of cores minimum and a effective single threading performance and some newer supported extensions of games/applications start drawing on AVX and newer.
    (Plus possible improvements on Windows 10 2004/20H1 and newer at least from AMD and then for them too the latest bios and AGESA and chipset driver to make sure the CPU's working optimally here.)

EDIT:
    I should look up some RAM and SSD comparisons too, I'd imagine you can do a nice number to minimum and average framerate with higher-end DDR4's and make the load times and stuttering less of a thing but just about any SSD would work for that compared to a HDD.

At least through usage of D3D12 and Vulkan and well game bugs and crash issues for that it's not going to be as bad as GTA IV was locked to D3D9 and then various layers and schemes like SecuROM I believe and LIVE.

Instead here we get Arxan or what it's called and the Rockstar client. :D
    (Don't have any data on how Arxan is compared to Denuvo though implemented well it should be lightweight, ideally at least.)

Plus going by the patch notes they are still improving the PC version in terms of stability and optimization so it could just need more of that rather than hoping to outright brute force ideal performance.
    (If the developer implementation of these API's has issues it's not going to work too well after all but I imagine it's gotten better since launch at least.)

Last edited: Jun 26, 2020