Best headphones for $150

Discussion in 'Soundcards, Speakers HiFI & File formats' started by Chillin, Jul 31, 2011.

1. Chillin

Chillin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    OK, I decided against going with a surround speaker setup due to neighbors, so now I need a good headphone system.

I have roughly $150 to play with. I have an X-Fi Xtremegamer (CMMS 3D) for my sound card and that's it (no amp, etc). I want a headphone that simulates or does surround sound very accurately (I already checked out the Psyko Carbon reviews, not impressed) and doesn't break the bank. It should be good for movies and music mainly, games don't matter too much (except for some surround sound).

I have a high quality FLAC music collection of Rock and classical music, so good playback for them is important. My movies usually have 5.1 so I'll like something compatible with them also. Microphone is not important to me, neither are looks. I would also rather they be circumferential (around the ear).

Suggestions?

2. °L°

°L° Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 970
    You should search for a sennheiser hd598 or hd595 at least.

Im very glad with it. (And very neutral for music)

3. killer_939

killer_939 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 7950 @ 1100/1500
    Sennheiser HD 595 might be for you.

I love my AD700's but so many people claim they lack bass to much but they have great sound stage, you may want to consider them.

4. sverek

sverek Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    Yup 595 or 598 are pretty decent for that price range.

5. Postalisback

Postalisback Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 760 TwinFrozr 2GB
    Hmm, I had HD 595 and would say they are good for classical but not good for rock.... I also think they could do with amplification although this is not a requirement

Maybe the Audio Technica ATH-AD700 are a better choice, not sure, never heard them myself.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2011
  6. Chillin

Chillin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    OK, thanks guys for those options.

While looking around I also came across these headsets:

Tritton AX Pro
    Tritton PC510 HDa
    Sennheiser PC 350
    Sennheiser PC 360

Any opinions on them?

Also, what does an amp really do and do I really need one?

7. RexAeterna1987

RexAeterna1987 Member

GPU:
    XFX 5870@stock
    the akg 240 studios are under 100 bucks and are very good. they have a nice open soundstage. they are not ''flat'' or natural sounding but are very enjoyable to say. for gaming they'll work wonders and they have more then enough bass impact for most people.

i own them but i personally don't use them much since i listen to music most of the day and play sometimes as well. i use my vintage akg 240 sextetts lp or my akg 240DF's the most for accurate sound. i prefer my listening experience with more natural and transparent headphones that has no coloration and both my vintage akgs tackle that task very well. they have better soundstage than the studios but are 600ohms so your soundcard will be far from being able to drive them and they can lack serious low end if not enough voltage is delivered to the drivers.

the studios tho will play fine out of a computer soundcard since they're 55ohms.

8. IcE

IcE Don Snow Staff Member

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1070 Mini
    The ATH-A700 is the ticket if you want more bass.

9. bballfreak6

bballfreak6 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 2070S OC
    alessandro ms1 ~100 usd shipped, awesome set of 'phones

10. bballfreak6

bballfreak6 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 2070S OC
    i was considering the ad700's myself, but i listen to a lot of rock so went with the alessandro ms1's instead...having said that i think i am gonna get myself a pair of ad900's just to see what the fuss is about

and dream of one day the alessandro ms pro's lol

11. GenClaymore

GenClaymore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 5700 XT Thic II
    The thing is you dont just look at the ohms of headphones, them being low ohm do not mean they dont need to be amped to get the most out of them.

Because those AKGs benefit from being used with a amp. The op isnt willing to get a headphone amp so those wouldnt be a good choice for him.

@ Amazon has Ultrasone HFI-550 used for 100,Ultrasones is a good choice for gaming.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2011
  12. RexAeterna1987

RexAeterna1987 Member

GPU:
    XFX 5870@stock
    i know. the studios will work fine out of a computer tho. the vintage akgs won't. i even played my studio out of my sony walkman mp3 player fine and sounded great.