best graphic game

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by damien666, May 18, 2006.

1. SHIVAN484

SHIVAN484 Member Guru

GPU:
    Gtx 480 + 9800gt (physx)
    Now if only games could breed, the offspring of hl2 and doom 3 would be worth a system upgrade :)

Oblivion is awesome, HL2 has the most realistic outdoor lighting i have seen. Farcry is sweet but somehow always looked a little cartoony to me (over realism maybe). Fear had great graphics some average textures in places but totally 'intense' firefights. They all seem best at something but none is yet a master of all trades.

2. Darkoz

Darkoz Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 8800 ULTRA xXx 675/2.3GHz
    You're absolutely right atomicskis5, Oblivion doesn't look anywhere near as good as FarCry.:flip:

Last edited: May 22, 2006
  3. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 1080TI
    +1 to oblivion...

4. martin2006

martin2006 Master Guru

GPU:
    onboard geforce 6100
    whats up with that fear picture.. im not a huge fan of plastic walls myself lol.

5. parodius4

parodius4 Active Member

GPU:
    Asus 7900GT TOP
    Chronicles of Riddick: Escape from ButcherBay

couldn't believe how amazed I was by its graphics and the gameplay. That's exactly the type of game I'd wish to forget about completely after finishing it so I could play it again. I think it is very underrated, best game I've heard the least about.
    Incredible surface lighting, almost surreal, adding its part to an atmosphere that's hard to describe.

Btw if you look for a game to stress your system like f.e.a.r. but don't like the game apart from its graphics you could try Condemned. It looks very equal (and since they're both monolith games I'm sure they use the same engine) but has a more sophisticated story and way more versatile level and enemy design.

6. horse

horse Maha Guru

GPU:
    PowerColour HD4870

:) Well said.

7. SniperDaws

SniperDaws Banned

GPU:
    XFX7600GTXXX Zalman Vf900
    Im confused over the fact that you are confused, Oblivion isnt my bag baby when it comes to graphics, i didnt realsise you get added colours and more extreme graphical content by shoving it up to 1600x1200 sorry my bad :blunt:

8. Classic Satch

Classic Satch Banned

GPU:
    2xEVGA GTX 260 216 SC
    Brother, I think it's time to lay off of the oregano. While Far Cry is an awesome game in so many aspects, it is still a good bit behind Oblivion graphically. I uploaded that screenshot at 1280x1024 but it was originally taken at 1600x1200. I think that you would be changing your tune if you could ride through the countryside at the aforementioned resolution with everything cranked up and AF set to 16x. The colors are outstanding with my X1900 BTW.

Pros
    Open
    Oblivion is so wide-open that the instances when you can’t do something are much easier to list than those where you can.

Polished
    Compared to Morrowind, this is night and day. Speech everywhere, map marker icons to find your objectives, auto-travel across the world, plenty of content in the game world, etc.

Graphics
    The most graphically impressive game out now, bar none.

http://www.firingsquad.com/games/oblivion_review/page5.asp

One of the game's biggest attractions is the breathtaking technology used in building it. Oblivion's graphics are amazing from both a technical and graphic design perspective. The dynamic lighting and realistic terrain make it easily the most beautiful RPG world I've ever had the privilege of running around in, from the hazy golden glow that comes over the world as the Tamriel's sun sets to how creepy it is to crawl through a vampire lair, watching the shadows dance in the light of a solitary torch.

http://pc.gamespy.com/pc/the-elder-scrolls-iv-oblivion/698423p2.html

Alright so final thoughts: near-masterpiece, absolutely phenomenal achievement for Bethesda, and no-doubt the best game on the PC in 2006; if not all formats. The best graphics *ever*, the best physics in an RPG, and the best quest system and story-line of the TES series. Curtain closed, and bed-time for this tired reviewer because my sorceror's pet zombie has just started talking to me and I need to sleep before I start seeing necromancers leap out the screen.

http://www.strategyinformer.com/pc/theelderscrollsivoblivion/review.html

I could go on and on. You are most assuredly entitled to your opinion. However, please make note of the fact that said opinion is in an extremely small minority. :rolleyes:

Last edited: May 22, 2006
  9. Classic Satch

Classic Satch Banned

GPU:
    2xEVGA GTX 260 216 SC
    LOL! Man, I hope that you're joking. Either that or you need to see an optometrist.

10. Copey

Copey Ancient Guru

GPU:
    960 2GB

WTF!!!! can you actually see

11. Decane

Decane Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1060 6GB
    (Sorry off-topic): Could anyone here enlighten me about this whole "ATI has better IQ than Nvidia"-thing? My friend has an ATI 9800Pro and I must say that the IQ between that and my 6800GT is identical (at least with custom driver settings on my 6800GT...), and I have never witnessed any "shimmering" in my games etiher, so could anyone here please tell me the truth about this matter...?

I also remember reading in one of Hilbert's reviews (don't remember which, sorry) that the IQ thing is actually a myth, and no longer holds true. Can anyone here confirm this? (And BTW please do not start a flame-war, all I want is one simple un-biased answer, although this seems very unlikely since this is the Nvidia section...).

12. llerenaprincipe

llerenaprincipe Ancient Guru

GPU:
    DIAMOND X1950XTX 512MB, 650/2000Mhz
    if you want more answers,
    start your own thread in the general hardware section
    as you said thi IS the Nvidia Section
    :p

13. SniperDaws

SniperDaws Banned

GPU:
    i never thought that graphics could be effected on personal taste like what films you think are good or not i always thought great graphics were just great and everyone thought so, but it could be just that because i honestly dont think Oblivion graphics are very good. But thats just my opinion and for what its worth it means nothing.

14. Decane

Decane Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1060 6GB

The problem is, that people have different perceptions of "good graphics". Some people consider good graphics to be sharp textures with lots of detail implemented in them, while others think good graphics are the overall impression of a game (for example vivid colors applied to appropriate areas). Some people even set requirements to "good graphics". HDR is the latest example of this, since many people claim that a game can't have the best graphics unless it does HDR. I personally think this is crap, since it is just as stupid as saying that a game can't have good graphics because it's old. It's just a principle, not the concrete image you see before you.

15. Classic Satch

Classic Satch Banned

GPU:
    2xEVGA GTX 260 216 SC
    Well, you know they say that opinions are like a$$holes, everybody's got one!:rolleyes:

Honestly man, if you could play the game at the settings I do on my nice gigantic 22" CRT, you would probably change your tune. When my wife, who isn't particularly concerned with graphics, just gameplay, first saw Oblivion her comment went along the lines of "Holy S#$t!"

16. dcx_badass

dcx_badass Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Palit GTX 1060 6GB
    Well i found this thead amusing. Some arguments are lame, Well i can run Far Cry at max and oblivion only at medium therefore oblivion has better graphics, or the game engine sucks....
    Onblivion is simply an example(not played it) but that argument is bollocks, different engines are optimised different farcry runs amazingly well even on a mx440.
    Farcry gets the award here.

17. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    good graphics to me at least mean the following:

sharp textures
    nicely modelled enviroment
    good character models
    good shadows/lightning
    and a few additional features (hdr/bloom...) are also welcome...

18. Classic Satch

Classic Satch Banned

GPU:
    2xEVGA GTX 260 216 SC
    Why don't you actually try playing Oblivion at high resolutions and settings before you make such a statement? Sorry bud, I love Far Cry as much as the next person but Oblivion eats it's lunch in the visuals department. Not to mention that it's one hell of a lot of fun. The fact that Far Cry may run well on outdated video cards should tell you something right there.

19. SniperDaws

SniperDaws Banned

GPU:
    The fact that farcry can run well on outdated cards tells me that the game engine is extremly efficient. i have seen Oblivion running on a 32" HDTV forced at 1600x1200 with 4x AA and everything maxed and it didnt blow me away my mate plays it using 2x7900GTX and even he's not that impressed, but HL2 which i dont really consider to be that good looks amazing and did blow me away.

20. Classic Satch

Classic Satch Banned

GPU:
    2xEVGA GTX 260 216 SC
    Oh well, to each their own I guess. I don't think that I'm going out on a limb by saying that most folks would agree with my assessment of Oblivion's graphical prowess. At least judging from the myriad reviews out there.