best graphic game

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by damien666, May 18, 2006.

1. Classic Satch

Classic Satch Banned

GPU:
    2xEVGA GTX 260 216 SC
    Far Cry better than Oblivion? I think you should see the eye doctor. I've beaten Far Cry several times and currently have almost 200 hours into Oblivion. There is simply no comparison. Oblivion has, hands down, the best graphics currently available. Especially when you install the various texture mods that are out there.

http://www.atomicmpc.com.au/article.asp?CIID=36919

My old PC(now my wife's) used to run Far Cry at very high settings quite well. Now she has to play Oblivion at 1024x768 with many settings turned down.

There is absolutely nothing like riding through the countryside of Cyrodiil at 1600x1200 with 16x HQ anisotropic filtering enabled. The colors and overall picture quality of my X1900 is noticeably superior to that of Nvidia also. My last four video cards have been Geforce 3 Ultra, 9700 Pro, 6800 GT, and now this X1900, so I'm no fanboy of either company. I'm just stating a fact.

FEAR rules the FPS roost but overall Oblivion takes the belt.

Last edited: May 21, 2006
  2. Satan

Satan Ancient Guru

GPU:
    some
    Yeah... it really goes to
    F.E.A.R. and Oblivion hands down.

3. Decane

Decane Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1060 6GB
    What the hell is wrong with you people !? Who cares if any mid-high end modern pc can run FC at 1600*1200 res with 4xAA 16xAF and all settings maxed !? Who cares if the game was released a few years ago !? There's no denying it; Far Cry was, and still is one of the most incredible looking games around. I own FEAR and have seen it at 1600*1200 res with 4xAA and yes, the graphics are impressive, but then again what I refer to as "beautiful graphics" in games is not necessarily an implementation of the latest technologies like HDR and such, but rather the overall visual impression of the game, and I feel that in this department, Far Cry delivers. In fact, I could go as far as to say that Far Cry has the most beautiful graphics to date, even if it is a game that's over a year old. The vivid colors and sharp textures coupled with nice bump-mapping makes the game look amazing IMO, even if the characters look like plastic.

4. Classic Satch

Classic Satch Banned

GPU:
    2xEVGA GTX 260 216 SC
    We're all entitled to our opinions, as it should be. However, as good as Far Cry is, and it is darn good, it still pales in comparison to Oblivion. You really can't expect a game engine that is several years old to stack up against a brand new cutting-edge game like Oblivion. Those mods I previously cited even make it look better. Oblivion is also a great game regardless of it's visual superiority. I sure as hell wouldn't have invested almost 200 hours in it just because it looks awesome.

[​IMG]

5. Decane

Decane Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1060 6GB
    ... If you say that Far Cry's graphics are inferior to some of the latest showcases, then you're living by principles: "...Far Cry's graphics suck 'cos they lack HDR without opening console and typing "/hdrrendering 7" and 'cos Far Cry's textures don't look as smooth as Doom3's plastic walls..."

Forget the fact that Far Cry is an old game, and forget the fact that any modern high-end pc can run it at max settings no sweat, and you'll see what I'm getting at. And about the bugs, I'd have to say that Far Cry is pretty damn bug-free considering the vast surrounings of it. I mean, what do you expect from a game the size of Far Cry? But to say that the game is buggy in the context in which you use it is just plain stupid (unless of course patch 1.3 doesn't ring any bells, and you're still playing v1.0 which casted a black square block on the ground instead of a proper shadow of a helicopter on my 6800GT)... :nerd:

6. Decane

Decane Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1060 6GB

Ok ok, Oblivion is damn beautiful, and yes, it topples Far Cry, but still, to say that games like FEAR or COD2 have better graphics than Far Cry is in my opinion absurd... FEAR looks ugly if you forget the nice shadow&light effects of the game, and COD2 is nothing special unless you use the absolute maximum settings and even then it looks like COD1 in some parts of the game. Of course, the more detailed textures of modern games make Far Cry look a tad inferior in comparison, but the sheer beauty of FC is undeniable.

EDIT: BTW that Oblivion shot made me wet my new jeans :).

7. Classic Satch

Classic Satch Banned

GPU:
    2xEVGA GTX 260 216 SC
    I never so much as implied that Far Cry was buggy. I actually had zero problems with it. Please don't misunderstand me, I really enjoyed the heck out of Far Cry. I simply stated that I have played both games extensively and IMHO, Oblivion possesses the best graphics in a PC game to date. I daresay that most people, at least those who can run it with the settings and resolution cranked up, would agree with that assessment. I have installed many visual mods and fiddled with my .ini file so that I have almost eliminated any stuttering and made the game even better.

8. Decane

Decane Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1060 6GB

I understand you mate, and I'm sorry for getting all defensive, it's just that I can't stand it if someone even suggests that Far Cry's graphics are something unworthy of a praise and special mention; even nowadays. Sure, Oblivion beats FC in the graphics department (sorry btw; I forgot about Oblivion completely in my first post about this topic), but the fact remains, that Far Cry looks damn beautiful and the experience is stimulated even further with the excellent atmosphere and overall feel of the game.

9. Classic Satch

Classic Satch Banned

GPU:
    2xEVGA GTX 260 216 SC
    No problem at all. I very much agree with your opinion of Far Cry. It's one of the best games that I've played in the last five years. Damn it, your commentary has me seriously thinking of installing it and playing it through one more time. I still have to finish off COD 2 and FEAR, not to mention Oblivion. ( I didn't want to play the aforementioned titles until I got the OK form the wife to build my new system) You see what you've done to me? :rolleyes:

10. Classic Satch

Classic Satch Banned

GPU:
    2xEVGA GTX 260 216 SC
    I actually took that shot from inside the game after I had just whacked the bear and watched it roll hilariously down the hill into the water. The physics engine can make for some very entertaining kills.

11. Decane

Decane Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1060 6GB
    Is it just me, or does HL2 look ugly compared to the likes of FEAR and Oblivion...?

HL2: Lost Coast is pretty with its HDR though, even if the rock along which you travel to the church does seem a bit low-detail...

12. Dojomann

Dojomann Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 275 896MB
    Hey, an odd addition here, but I think Hitman Blood Money has some really good graphics.

13. Classic Satch

Classic Satch Banned

GPU:
    2xEVGA GTX 260 216 SC
    I sure wouldn't call HL2 ugly but the Source engine is a bit older than the others and therefore doesn't quite match them for graphical prowess.

14. martin2006

martin2006 Master Guru

GPU:
    onboard geforce 6100
    some times tho, half life 2 is very impressive

take this pic from the start of the game for instance

[​IMG]

you cant say that doesnt look good, it doesnt have the lighting like oblivion and fear. but it does looks realistic. which for me is why hl2 is such a good looking game

15. Classic Satch

Classic Satch Banned

GPU:
    2xEVGA GTX 260 216 SC
    Agreed. I guess I'm just spoiled with Oblivion. I'll be grabbing the HL2 add-on as soon as it comes out.

16. Darkasantion

Darkasantion Master Guru

GPU:
    Club 3D HD5870 1035/1325
    My taste is Far Cry, altough Cod2 is also awesome, so let's call it even?

17. Copey

Copey Ancient Guru

GPU:
    960 2GB
    shall we end this ???

is there anyone who can put up a screen with farcry , oblvion , fear , HL2 (or loast coast) , and COD2 with max settings at a fairly decent resoulution (these 5 are the most popular)

if you can put a good screen of each

then we can really compare and decide which games holds the title for "best graphical game"

18. SniperDaws

SniperDaws Banned

GPU:
    XFX7600GTXXX Zalman Vf900
    How on earth can you say Oblivion iseven in the top 20, the graphics are very very average even with it all maxed out.

FarCry sh*ts all over it!

Even FEAR didnt blow me away.

And that screen shot you posted of Oblivion looks crap, ive got oblivion and ok ive got my settings maxed out but running in 1024x768 4xAA w/o HDR but bloom instead and it doesnt impress me in the slightest. its not going to look any better wether its got 4xAA or 16xAA the game looks old and dated. Mother Nature in 3dmark 03 looks 100x better than Oblivion. I think your just bemused by the fact that you really like the game Oblivion and will sing its praises til your blue in the face, the gamplay in Oblivion is great but the graphics are just plain.

But one thing i do agree with you on is that Image Quality on ATI is far better than Nvidia.

Last edited: May 22, 2006
  19. Satan

Satan Ancient Guru

GPU:
    some
  20. atomicskis5

atomicskis5 Master Guru

GPU:
    msi 4850
    i am really confused sniper. How could u say oblivion is not good looking? It is the most visualy stunning game to this day, hands down. And once again, far cry, for its time, was the best looking game. Its three years old now and time to put it in the past. Also, how can you say its not good looking maxed when u r not even capable at playing at 1600x1200, let alone maxed out at that? I agree on you with fear because fear is based soley on shadows and lighting. But in reality, Far Cry and Oblivion are not even close.