Best Gaming Laptop to buy

Discussion in 'Laptops & Notebooks' started by squidward, Nov 16, 2019.

1. squidward

squidward Member

GPU:
    NVidia GTS 450 1GB
    Hi everyone. I wanted to buy a new gaming laptop and needed some advice. I did search online but I felt that most websites which listed the best gaming laptops were paid to advertise 1 laptop over the other, and also different websites said different models were the best. So I thought I'd ask on a neutral arena and take inputs from individuals rather than from companies.

First, let me tell you my requirements: It should run all the latest games, including beefy ones like Red Dead Redemption 2. I'm leaving my powerful gaming PC and going abroad, so I want to carry a good substitute for my gaming needs. I also do a lot of CPU intensive work, like high-res photo & video edits. My budget is around $2000, though I can go upto $2500 if it's really worth the price increase.

These are the things I must have with the new laptop:

1. Powerful GPU. I'm looking for the 2080 RTX cards
    2. Powerful CPU: an i9 (or an i7, if it won't bottleneck the GPU)
    3. Dual HDDs: minimum of 500 GB SSD for windows & game installations, and 500 MB - 1 TB SATA for storage purposes.
    4. Atleast 16 GB of RAM
    5. Large screen size. If I'm not mistaken, 17 inches the largest available for laptops
    6. Efficient cooling. This goes without saying as its for gaming for long duration.
    7. Future-proof and durable: As I'm making a significant investment, I'd want the laptop to be useful for the next 3-5 years. Should not be delicate/flimsy.
    8. Good keyboard arrangement. Very small keyboard layouts won't be comfortable for gaming.
    9. Adequate USB ports
    Here's a list of things I'm not particular about:

1. Size: I'm buying it for gaming, so I don't mind if it's heavy and bulky.
    2. Trackpad: I never use it and always use a wireless mouse. So this isn't an issue
    3. Battery: Heavy gaming will drain battery, and I won't be gaming on battery. Will plug into power outlet when I play.
    I searched online for such laptops, and liked a few models, each with its own pros & cons. Can you suggest which would be the best for me (from either the ones I've shortlisted or suggest new ones)

Asus ROG Zephyrus S GX701
    MSI GS75 Stealth 8SG
    MSI GT75 Titan

Last edited: Nov 16, 2019
  2. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Vega/Navi
    Sounds like you want a mobile desktop.
    And no, my commentary is not meant to taunt you or whatever.
    Just saying that gaming laptops are a difficult matter, few gaming laptops are balanced regarding hardware. And dificult to choose the right one IMHO.
    And their lifespan is shorter, gaming are demanding exponentially, productivity laptops is where the money are made.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2019
    K.S. likes this.
  3. K.S.

K.S. Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 GAMING OC
    Gigabyte AERO 15 OLED YA-7US5450SP 15" - The best 15" profile solution out there. Simply put, amazing.
    MSI GS65 Stealth 9SG 15" - 2nd to the Gigabyte AERO. Behind in battery - Studio solution, screen quality & cooling.
    Gigabyte AORUS 17 YA-7US2150SH 17" - best 17" FHD screen
    MSI GS75 Stealth 9SG 17" - best 17" thin solution
    Razer Blade Pro (Late 2019) 17.3" 4K 120Hz - best 17" screen period

All are RTX 2080s

Be aware of the above post - lifespan is short on gaming laptops so be sure to purchase the extended warranty friend!

Not good enough. You have laid out criteria but you'll need to sacrifice some of it or spend more. To buy the latest and greatest is costly with extra storage etc.. either go back a generation of model to drop cost. Drop specs some or increase budget and or wait and save money yes? It is better to do something right the first time than to realize later on you skimped on warranty or screen or this or that. Get it right. Be happy later.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2019
    squidward likes this.
  4. squidward

squidward Member

GPU:
    NVidia GTS 450 1GB
    Thank you for your valuable input mate. I'll certainly check these out. What budget should I keep for the specs I want? I'd rather save and get the latest and best ones rather than buy lower specs and repent later.

Also, what did you mean by gaming laptops having short life? I'm spending a lot and don't want to have a broken down machine early! That's a scary thought!

K.S. likes this.

5. K.S.

K.S. Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 GAMING OC
    They’ll fail at least once (have a defect/need an RMA) within an extended warranty has been my experience with Razer’s when I did Warranty work on them at a RMA center. Blown batteries, blown DC input cables (constant high wattage on turbo mode)

The heat is another factor. Cooling can only do so much against constant intensity of high degrees in close-quarters. VRMs give out over time in cases. Lack of cleaning or thin radiator fins / everything becomes a heatsink etc.

I’ve opened many a gaming laptop to find scorch and burn marks. Don’t let this frighten you. I’ve opened many to find none. User treatment is everything with anything. My main point earlier being build quality will cost. A good screen will, cooling, 2nd HDD or RAID ...

Nutshell answer to your budget question take the costs of the three 17” laptops I gave you - don’t buy one of them persay. Just use the mean of their pricing to get a fair ballpark of where you stand. They’re among the most expensive out there at present so between the three it should give a “range” as it were. Look at their specs. See what you like and don’t. What you need and can do to live without. Remember most of these can be configured a great deal. When you’re done; add your product protection. If you’re still in budget good if not add a little more ...

EDIT: An alternative is if once you reach a solution and it’s a “mobile 9th Gen” Intel find the identical in 8th Gen. There’s no performance difference if same amount of cores/threads etc. It wasn’t an architectural change nor any IPC recorded difference. It’s considerably cheaper.

6. SweenJM

SweenJM Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 590 nitro
    If you a gonna spend that much, get a Sager. Check out the NP8978 or NP9176-G3.

K.S. likes this.
  7. K.S.

K.S. Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 GAMING OC
    Yeah @SweenJM has a really good suggestion! Look into Sager too! They're super configurable, offer 16" displays too (which I think is great) and have a offering of OLED RTX gaming laptops that should be right up your alley :). They are "robust" build quality...

@squidward

After hours of looking things over; triple checking. You yourself picked out the best one yourself for your budget. So please pardon me for being hasty in my advice. I've owned ASUS, Razers, GIGABYTE, MSI and loved each as much as the next. ASUS makes amazing gaming tech; it's no step down.

Make sure to select the Intel 8th Generation version model with what you purchase to cut costs. On average the standard config of the GX701 comes out to approx 2400 USD. It will climb higher based on extra storage, ram or screen modifications and ofcourse years added to any standard warranty. I'll update with a rough estimate

Purchasing links: note some of the different dealers/vendors linked via ASUS's links will let you configure your storage options unlike Amazon

8. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 390/GTX1070M
  9. Hypernaut

Hypernaut Active Member

GPU:
    5700XT Red Devil
    My gaming laptop has a 6300HQ coupled with a GTX 965M and 16GB 2400 DDR4 ram. It plays most games reasonably well. CSGO and Arma 3 run fantastic, even Arma with a 60 player coop. If you buy a modern laptop it will last a few years, especially if you are getting a decent specced monster.