Best drivers for Sapphire HD 3850 512 mb video card?

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Catalyst Drivers Section' started by GMan316, Jan 7, 2010.

1. GMan316

GMan316 Member

GPU:
    SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 3850 5
    Hey guys, I recently upgraded to a Sapphire HD 3850 video card from an old GeForce4 ti4800. I was wondering what the best drivers are for this particular card. I downloaded the most recent one from this site (version 9.12, I downloaded the package one that came with the catalyst control center but I didn't install the folding@home. Is that a good thing or a bad thing?).

However it seems like I'm not getting the best performance out of the card. When I tried playing DoD (the regular one, not source) I was unable to get 100 fps consistently as to where I was able to with my gf4 ti 4800. I read somewhere on the web that the drivers are based on one's computer build, as in some drivers would be better suited in one machine but not necessarily in another. Is this true?

If so if anyone has a build similar to mine could tell me which drivers work best for you as it may just do the trick for me? thanks.

My build:

AMD 64 3000+ CPU

Abit NF8-V mobo

1 GB Corsair ram

610W PC P&C psu

1 TB WD Black HDD

Sapphire HD 3850 512 mb vid card

21.5" Samsung SyncMaster 2253BW

The colors on my monitor also seem to be a bit off, the letters seem a bit blurred. It also seems to lag when I'm streaming videos on the web, which wasn't really a problem with my old card. This kind of re-assures me that I'm indeed having some sort of driver issue since this card is supposed to be vastly superior. Any help would be grealty appreciated. Thanks.

2. UnrealGaming

UnrealGaming Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Make sure you have the latest DirectX package installed. http://downloads.guru3d.com/DirectX-End-User-Runtimes-(March-2009)-download-1943.html . Or later if available for XP ...
    For videos on the web, make sure you have the latest flash player which supports hardware acceleration. That should offload your CPU. Also, do a proper driver uninstall/install if you haven't. Basically, delete nvidia card's drivers and the drivers you installed for your current card. After restart, enter safe mod and delete any driver leftovers with "driver sweeper" (small driver cleaning software that you can find here on guru3d ). Then restart back to windows and install new drivers.
    For colors and letters, make sure your monitor is calibrated and set in native resolution and 32bit color depth. Also use "clear type" font.
    For anything more specific, some ATI user might be able to help ...
    Other than that, I can tell you that your CPU is a major bottleneck for anything newer then 7600GT or so . And that some newer ATI drivers/cards do have some specific issues with some older games.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2010
  3. Imperious

Imperious Master Guru

GPU:
    Gainward Phoenix GTX1070
    A game as old as DOD may not be optimised in the latest drivers, Your best bet is to use the ATI AGP hotfix drivers.
    Make sure You have installed Catalyst Control center, otherwise Your card will run at 300mhz in games.

http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles/Pages/CatalystAGPHotfix.aspx

You don't need Folding at home unless You are into Folding, if You don't know what that is then You certainly do not need it.

If You run into further issues I would suggest You install the Driver only (no CCC) and Ati Tray Tools, which I use to overclock my HD3850 AGP, there are less potential issues that way.

http://cid-a50350ea7a969f0c.skydrive.live.com/self.aspx/Public/attsetup.exe

4. GMan316

GMan316 Member

GPU:
    I actually got a new HD along with the HD 3850, so my system is basically a fresh install. I started with the HD 3850 and not with my old card. I will attemp the driver sweeper though since I first installed the 9.12 drivers and later went to the 8.12 ones from the disk.

Could you explain the "native resolution and 32 bit color depth," for the monitor. Where would I go to to make the proper changes for that? Thanks.

5. GMan316

GMan316 Member

GPU:
    I'll use the driver sweeper software do delete the drivers I have now and try the ones you've linked me too. And would overclocking make that much of a significance as far as performance wise? I was thinking about overclocking, but not by much. Thanks.

6. W.A.W.

W.A.W. Active Member

GPU:
    GigaByte HD 6870 OC 1GB
    My videocard runing fine with orginal ATI Catalyst 9.12. I think Your issues are in first - too little RAM and second - on Your MoBo nForce chipset. I don't understood for all, why people will try to use PC components companies, which are at war?!? :bang:

[​IMG]

7. Imperious

Imperious Master Guru

GPU:
    Gainward Phoenix GTX1070
    With Your 3000+ cpu overclocking will likely make no difference as You are cpu bottlenecked. You could experiment and see if You can get more out of the cpu, but I used to have my HD3850 hooked up to an overclocked Pentium M at 2.72ghz, and the cpu was still a bottleneck. Overclocked Pentium M cpu's were the most powerful single core cpu's produced, for gaming anyway.

ATI TRAY TOOLS is a great replacement for CCC, which can be problematic with these cards, vpu recover and other errors, which You will not get running ATT.

8. GMan316

GMan316 Member

GPU:
    I tried to install the 9.12 hotfix drivers you linked me too earlier and for some reason they wouldn't install properly. I went to the sapphire site and DL'd the one right before (9.11) and they still wouldn't install properly. The only ones that I can get to install properly are the 9.12 ones I found in the ATI site and the ones that came from the CD.

I uninstalled the drivers by going to control panel>system>hardware>device manager>display driver> uninstall. I then followed it by rebooting and using both DC Cleaner and Drive Sweeper to make sure all ATI components were uninstalled. When I reboot windows automatically tries to search for the driver but I canceled it since I have the installer. When I run the installer it seems to install fine (strange that it doesn't ask me to reboot though...) then when I reboot and check under the display drivers it says the hardware is not properly installed?

I was thinking about what some of you guys suggested about my comp being a handicap to the card since my system is real old. Would you suggest me just getting a lower end Nvidia card? Maybe a 7300? Because the way I think about it the HD 3850 really serves me no purpose since I can't use it to its full capacity. Thanks

9. Pnrrr

Pnrrr Member

GPU:
    club3d HD3850agp@830/1023
    9.11 and 9.12 hotfix driver installer not working for agp cards, well atleast for my hd3850 it didnt. You have to manualy update drivers in device manager. And yes use latest drivers even if its agp card, you still get bugfixes.
    Doesn't make difference. I found nforce3 rock stable for both ati cards i used on this setup.

10. edigee

edigee Active Member

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 960/GT 820M
    GMan ,there IS a solution that actualy works. I was struggeling for a long time to install newer drivers for my HD3650 AGP card and I had the same issues as you .Till i modified that info file from the driver ,because my AGP card was not listed there. So I put in that file the corect ID vendor so everything worked like a charm. The only think that pops up is someting like "the driver is not digitaly signed" , click "continue anyway" and everything it's OK.
    note: Didn,t use any driver cleaner(sweeper) tool. Just uninstall the old package from "programs and features" ,reboot ,and then install the new drivers from the ATI folder(the unpacked driver).
    Edit: Just found that on the net:
    http://www.sevenforums.com/graphic-...hd-3850-agp-card-driver-not-working-win7.html
    Read the first 2 posts there, it's basicly what i did too ,only difference is that i didn't have to install the drivers manually(from device manager), and of course my card's vendor ID is different.
    I'm sure it's working on XP too, just spot the inf file there corectly.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2010

11. GMan316

GMan316 Member

GPU:
    Which drivers are you using for yours? The 9.10? How would I do the manual update? Thanks.

12. Pnrrr

Pnrrr Member

GPU:
    9.12 i have now. Uninstall your previous drivers like you normaly did. Take hotfix drivers from link posted by "Imperious" below. Just unpack drivers but don't start installation. In Device manager find your video card and push "update drivers". Select advanced and point to driver\inf folder to which you unpacked earlier. It will be standalone driver installation. If you want ccc the run installer again, or just use ati tray tools instead.

13. edigee

edigee Active Member

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 960/GT 820M
    @Pnrrr
    People with older AGP cards (HD2600(some versions works), HD3450, HD 3650, HD 3850) that are trying to install newer drivers ,all have the same issue. No matter the OS. Yes ,the driver can be update from the device manager ,but the problems occures when trying to run the install from the unpack ATI folder. Of course ATT can be useful to that point, but for those who want to have CCC too ,the modification of the info file from the drivers section might be the solution.
    For example ,for my card in the ID vendor list it has to be something like:
    "ATI Radeon HD 3650 AGP" = ati2mtag_RV630, PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_9596
    For HD3850 it should be:
    "ATI Radeon HD 3850 AGP" = ati2mtag_RV630, PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_9515
    There is also a possibility that the XP version of the driver doesn't have that vendor ID code listed but the Vista or W7 version does..

14. Pnrrr

Pnrrr Member

GPU:
    Its not actualy like that with latest agp drivers. For example i will take my hd3850 card which has device id 9515. All previous hotfix drivers installed perfectly up to 9.10. But in 9.11 they changed catalyst install manager and it doesn't want to see my card even to its listed in .inf file. So only way to install is bypassing catalyst manager and manualy pointing to .inf file from device manager. Its in XP drivers like that, maybe for win7/vista it installs without problem. Anyone actualy managed to install latest agp drivers normal way after adding card info to .inf file?

15. edigee

edigee Active Member

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 960/GT 820M
    That's the reason i posted in this thread, I actually succeded in that way with my HD3650 on AGP(Asus EAH3560 AGP Silent).I'm running Vista 32 bit. Ultimate.Couldn't install 9.12 or 9.11 in normal way or updating the driver from the device manager.It was only the driver that i could install ,not the CCC! After i made the modification in the info file on AGP Hotfix9.12 the install procedure went smooth , the only thing that apeared was "driver not digitaly signed" ,I clicked "continue anyway" and the instalation succesfuly succeded.
    I mention again that i didn't use any driver cleaner(sweeper) tool. Actually it was the 1st time i didn't use them, just made a classic uninstall from 'programes and features".
    note: On my son's system, with HD 2600XT on AGP and XP-SP3 ,the instalation of AGP Hotfix 9.12 works with no problems-no need to make any modification. The interesting thing is that with the new drivers the card is seen as HD2600/3600 series in the device manager.

16. Pnrrr

Pnrrr Member

GPU:
    Then its a bit strange with my card. Since its listed in .inf file, then there is nothing more to edit there. The info line is exact same as in 9.10 drivers but install manager still doesn't find card. But in device manager it picks up correct card from list and continues installing like it would normaly do. Correct - if you cant install normal way then first thing to do is check if your card is listed in info file. If its not there, then add it and rerun install. It will be full installation that way. If it doesnt then there is always manual updating way.

17. GMan316

GMan316 Member

GPU:
    Thanks for the input fellas. I think I'm gonna go ahead and just return the card since my system pretty much handicaps it anyway. I'll just save up and build a new system in the future. Thanks again, I appreciate all the input.