1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best drivers for CounterStrike: Source

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by inum, Apr 30, 2005.

1. inum

inum Guest

I have an ATi 9800PRO and i use the Omega's 4.12 driver.
    At the moment i'm getting around 40 FPS with graphic tweaks.

What to do for more fps? what drivers etc?
    Thank you.

2. XmodifierS

XmodifierS Member Guru

GPU:
    eVGA e-GeForce 8800 GTS 320MB
    What settings and resolution are you playing in? With a 9800Pro, I suggest use the default settings, you should be getting around 100fps stress test. With this game and older cards really isnt any head room for eyecandy. I play Default HIGH ALL NO AA/AF 1280x1024 I get 91.xfps stess test. As for your question 4.12 and 5.1s are pretty even. Through my experiance I got less fps and choppy gameplay with newer ones, 5.2+. I have 5.1s and performance is great, smooth and fps is stable.

P.S for a little perfomance boost, in control panel, set your texture and mipmap level from highq to quality. I believe there is a thread about it, I read that I.Q is very, very hard to notice, and gain up to 5%. Try it out.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2005
  3. SVT Amateur

SVT Amateur Maha Guru

GPU:
    ASUS x850 XT PE VIVO PCI-Express
    The latest drivers are usually always the best.

4. DeathtrapX

DeathtrapX Master Guru

GPU:
    x800 XT 256mb sapphire 500/500
    New drivers are usually the best for cs : s? Dude not to sound like a troll, but are you smoking crack? Anything above 4.12 (maybe 5.1 are ok) is utter torment for source. The fps drop insanely .... it's choppy as heck, very ugly to watch. I am using 4.12 for source , and it run's great.

5. SVT Amateur

SVT Amateur Maha Guru

GPU:
    Do I spoke crack? No.

Maybe 4.12 works better for you, but your system is outdated as all get out, and it's no wonder that your graphics are choppy. I have seen noticeable improvement in performance with each driver release, starting from the 4.9's.

Again, I said usually the newer drivers are better, not always. I'm sure ATI isn't targeting people with 2-3 year old systems when they release their drivers.

6. SVT Amateur

SVT Amateur Maha Guru

GPU:
    How do you get 640 MB DDR RAM that is listed in your sig? What kind of combination of memory yields that?

7. gobbles

gobbles Member Guru

GPU:
    x800 -> x800 xt pe 526/570
    1x512 plus 1x128

8. 1stGuyNut

1stGuyNut Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 9800GTX+ 512MB
    In general 4.12b are supposed to give best performance in source games.:)

9. XmodifierS

XmodifierS Member Guru

GPU:
    eVGA e-GeForce 8800 GTS 320MB
    All points taken, Older drivers work better for older gen video cards. As far as I know I've tried it with a 9600pro/9700pro/9800pro/xt, all performances were better with 5.1s and previous by a margin. Starting with 5.2s each card in gameplay stutters and fps is lower. So till then, through my experiance, I suggest older drivers. Unless you have compatibility issues, then use drivers accordingly.

10. sputnik

sputnik Member

GPU:
    Saphire 8800gts
    I'd definately reccomend the 5.4 drivers with the omega mod.
    I get 80+ fps now, whereas before i got <40 fps with the series prior to the 5.3s.

11. FRAGEYE

FRAGEYE Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 8800 GT 512MB
    1.2 ghz amd athlon<br>
    Gf4 Ti 4400<br>
    640mb Ram DDR<br>
    Creative sound blaster live!<br>
    Win xp Home Edition

By the way ask yourself your own question DX,Gf4 Ti 4400<br[you don't use that card with the ati driver do you] lol,You should fill in the details correctly for your spec.