Best drivers for 4850?

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by outlaw101, Sep 23, 2010.

1. outlaw101

outlaw101 Member

GPU:
    MSI N460GTX hawk 1GB
    hi,

was hoping someone here could give me some advice on what are the best drivers to use with an ati 4850 512mb, and more specifically which work best for overclocking.

I've tried every driver upwards inc hotfixes from catalyst 10.5 -10.9 and have had nothing but problems trying to overclock with CCC and overdrive.

what happens is i try changing any clock values and click apply but then it reverts straight back to default clocks. Also auto tune does nothing and the 'test custom clocks' button hangs the computer and i have to ctrl+alt+del out of CCC.

I'm currently using 10.4 which seems to overclock OK with overdrive but stil give loads or errors in event viewer, though the system doesn't seem affected.

The games i'm most interested in working well with are bad company 2 and GTA4, so if anyone know good drivers for these would be appreciated.

I have windows 7 x64 if it helps. cheers.

2. nOv1c3

nOv1c3 Maha Guru

GPU:
    2X VisionTek HD 4850
    I,m sticking with the 10.4 or earlier drivers . They seem to work the best for me '

I,m on winXP 32bit so not sure about those errors in event viewer
    10.4 been real stable for me

3. atimaniac

atimaniac Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI EVOKE RX 5700 X
  4. outlaw101

outlaw101 Member

GPU:
    MSI N460GTX hawk 1GB
    hey thanks for that link atimaniac, i'll give em a try.

i have a couple of questions though, how will i go about changing graphic settings, overclocks, etc with those? is a modded ccc included or something? or i gotta use ati's ccc? thanks.

5. OPmind

OPmind Member

GPU:
    HD4870 1024MB
    Definitely the TwL's drivers proposed here. I have a very similar rig, so you may find my tip given here ( http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?p=3714532#post3714532 ) useful.

One more thing before you install them on your system: follow the instructions. It's easy to get turned off since if you ignore them, you will most likely miss some of the benefits this drivers have to offer.

For OCing try using MSI Afterburner (it's not just for MSI). It simply works... though I do not believe, that you will be able to gain much performance with your card and there is always some risk to worry about.

Good luck :)

6. outlaw101

outlaw101 Member

GPU:
    MSI N460GTX hawk 1GB
    OPmind, cheers for the advice, i'll definatly be trying out that msi afterburner aswell.

it's a shame ati can't even produce anything decent for their own cards, catalyst control center in particular needs a complete rework i think.

7. MyBrains

MyBrains Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 7950 OC 950MHz
    Which 4850 model is it? i have an XFX 4850 XXX Edition which i use for a backup now,but that thing wud never overclock even tho reviews all said it was a great overclocker,i remember 10.5a working well for it but i'm guessing 10.8 will work for it as they are solid for my XFX 4890 i have now.