Best Driver for Prototype

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Mersonix, Jun 12, 2009.

1. Valagard

Valagard Guest

As well as this game performs, technically its a really bad port as it was designed for computers that frankly, really don't exist except in a static development enviroment

Like if you have a high end X-Fi soundcard everyone sounds like Chip and Dale rescue rangers and cinema's go twice as fast, and if you have more then 2 human interface devices installed the computer won't use your GPU to render the game, only the CPU

There is no good drivers for prototype right now, all the games bugs are on Activisions side, not NVidia's side

2. Lacusmons

Lacusmons Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080
    I had to disable all HiD devices in device manager to get full framerate. This is well documented on activision and steam forums for Prototype.

3. HaZe303

HaZe303 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2070 Super
    Lower youre sample rate to 48000hz and the sound will work fine, I had the same issue, but only if my sample rate was higher than 48000hz. So try that, if you havent already?

4. FrenchKiss

FrenchKiss Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX970 G1 GAMING
    I disabled all my HID devices, except my mouse of course, but it didn't change anything. The only way I could get some extra fps was by disabling SLI... Used to have around 30/35fps during combats, now around 45 (1920x1080 all maxed out AAx2 AFx16, WinXp x32). What a shame. I hope for a decent SLI support asap :/

5. Flukester

Flukester Banned

GPU:
    eVga GTX 260 Core216 896M
    Absolutely no issue here. Until I saw this thread I had no idea anyone would be having problems. Game runs like silk for me. 186.08 drivers on Windows 7 x64.

I am running at 2048x1152 everything high, AA off. Vsync off. Never touched the options since.

EDIT: this is an awesome game too. I tried Mirrors Edge, but this game serious kicks it's arse in every aspect.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2009
  6. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    The Xbox 360 version doesn't run at 60 fps though, it's locked at the usual 30 fps for these open world games on the consoles. Thus any framerate drops on that platform will be far less noticeable than on the PC where you might encounter the framerate dropping from 60 fps momentarily to 30/40 fps for example. I've been getting pretty much 50 - 60 fps (V-sync and triple buffering enabled) for the 10 hours I've been playing the game far. It sometimes drops to the mid-40s but only intermittently and it doesn't affect the gameplay at all.

Apart from the slight judder while panning the camera around on top of buildings the performance is decent with a smooth framerate 99.99% of the time. I'd expect it though given the game's fairly basic looks and my PC's specifications.

7. HaZe303

HaZe303 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2070 Super
    I agree what you said about 360, yes it is locked at 30fps. But I dont care, because 30fps on 360 looks the same as 60 on pc. The positive side on the 360 is as you said, NO slowdowns, NONE, ZIP, ZERO.

If that is possible on 3year old console hardware but not on current highend pc hardware (even at 60fps), something is not right?? But with that said, I have no issues playing this game either on my pc. I was more reflecting on others issues, both on the ATI driver thread and on this one. I like the game, but the multi-gpu support in the game engine is awful. I actually get worse performance with crossfire on, than when its disabled. Others say the same. Actually when this game is rolling on my 3 gpu´s in xfire, all thre gpu´s utilize@ 25-40%. If I use one gpu, its on 99-100%. So with three gpu´s I get 3x25%=75%. :)

Not quite happy with that result. It isnt funny when youre three gpu´s are utilized only a quarter each and still get slowdowns in some area´s/portions of the game. Specially when all hell breaks loose and you got 5 tanks+5heli´s+100 soldiers around you trying to kill you? But still in the same spot on the 360, frame rate is suprisingly solid!? :) Either the 360 is a super computer in disguise, or the game is just badly ported to pc?

8. It's not his cpu... I use a quad that's over 3GHZ and it still gives me 40fps-60fps with all settings max and vsync on, the game doesn't have great video card driver support yet, and so far it looks like ATI and NVIDIA are still working on releases for Prototype performance (In-a-nut-shell the game may be somewhat cpu bound, but with the O.P.'s video card he should be getting better results)

9. Saiyan

Saiyan Member Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 970 Strix
    IMHO the stuttering when panning on top of buildings is due to the engine having an incredibly short draw distance. You can effectively see the stuff popping out of nowhere which in fact seems to be the issue. This is -contrary to the already customary 'bad port' expression- simply an engine issue. As the game was designed in parallel for all 3 systems thus one cannot say it's a 'bad port' (not to mention that the XBOX 360 is basically a PC to begin with).

Oh and for the record, I'm using the 182.50 and have no framerate issues whatsoever on 1680x1050 2xAA all max, no vsyc. (Never really bothered for a number as long as the game runs smooth.)

10. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    Unfortunately it's not the game, it's Crossfire and the driver support that's to blame.

I've been playing the game for almost 11 hours now and I've not seen any bad slowdown at all. It runs at 40-60 fps for me and seems to be averaging high 50s fps. I only have a single GeForce GTX 280 too. There's nothing wrong with the performance in this game apart from the judder I mentioned earlier when panning the camera around on top of buildings.

11. heltonxl

heltonxl Banned

GPU:
    HD 5850
    Fix for the fps issues

For anyone with performance issues in prototype , download fps limiter, and start the gui.jar , search executable , put something like 45 fps , this will lock the fps in game stable , and smooth, i play in my computer q6600 , gtx 260 , 4 gig ddr2, 1440 900 4aa, and to have smooth frames in central park put medium quality in graphics , shadow in high. no more stuters even in top of skycrapers.
    i hope this will help. now the same experience of xbox 360 users.

12. kenjishinoda

kenjishinoda Active Member

GPU:
    SAPPHIRE 6870
    Link?

13. 0blivious

0blivious Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5700XT / GTX1070
    One of the better ports I've seen.

It runs pretty damn good on my dual core rig, maxed out at 1920x1080, the framerate seems to be 40+, though I haven't checked. I was pretty impressed with how well it ran.

I'm still using 182.06, have had no issues so I haven't updated for a few months.

14. kingsface

kingsface Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 570 @ 900Mhz AXP
    V-sync will always limit thefps your gpu can feed to the refresh rate of your monitor. eg. 60Hz means max 60 fps with v-sync on.
    With V-sync off the tearing effect comes in because simply the gpu is generating more fps than your monitor can handle.

If you turn v-sync off you should possibly get better framerates.

With my spec and at 1440x900 on 19" and medium settings I get 48-50fps. For me the fps changes with the time of the day and whether the scenario is clean or infected (eg. hive etc.)

I'm using 186.08 driver.

You can also deactivate v-sync without installing nhancer (by the in game options btw.)

15. HaZe303

HaZe303 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2070 Super
    Strange thing is that with my gtx260 the game is fluid even when it drops down to 30-35´s. But on my ATI system, the game is fluid as long as its between 55-60fps, but as soon as it drops below 35-40fps the game feels much moore jittery than on the Nvidia system? So I agree that this could very much be the drivers at fault here. But I really dont care, as the game is solid 99% of the time.

16. Mersonix

Mersonix Member Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia GT 550m
    I was actually lucky enough to have some guys over and play prototype on my 360 this afternoon. The gameplay isn't buttery smooth as an above user said- it was choppy too. Not GTAIV choppy, but it wasn't completely smooth. Has anyone figured out how to bring up command line/increase draw distance. I feel like that could help things (visually). I'd really like to tweak this game to see if i can get it looking/playing better.

17. HaZe303

HaZe303 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2070 Super
    It is for me, but I have it installed on the 360 harddrive, if you didnt have it installed it could be that you get choppines from the game loading stuff of the dvd? But for me the game is super solid.

18. youra6

youra6 New Member

GPU:
    EVGA 280gtx
    people... people.... I dont care that you guys say the game runs flawlessly, because I hope by now you guys know that this game runs smooth even below 40 fps.

So give me some numbers here.... I'll be happy to give you mine.

Check my sig for specs

The settings are 1680X1050 res, 4X filtering, details all on high.

With triple buffering off and vsync off I get around 60 frames per second during free roam. During intense fights, it drops to about 40- 42.

When climbing buildings I get about 90 fps.

Now heres the issue... Anyone out there with a similar build get higher fps? I think mine are a bit lower than expected

cheers

Last edited: Jun 17, 2009
  19. Bornakiller

Bornakiller Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 580 SLI
    This game is rubish period!!

Another bad port...

20. apintojr

apintojr Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX3070
    game runs fine 30+ plus. i feel no diffrence when the game is at 60fps appose to the 42-45 fps i get steady ( gameplay, intense fights, etc.)

most people that say this game is a bad port, is it because the graphics arent jaw dropping? becasue the game play itself it awesome.