1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best driver for HD7950 for Windows 10

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Catalyst Drivers Section' started by tekniksinc, May 11, 2018.

1. tekniksinc

tekniksinc New Member

GPU:
    Sapphire Radeon HD6950 1G
    I have a HD7950 and I recently moved to Windows 10 from Windows 7. In Windows 7 I could install the latest driver and play BF1/Hellblade/TF2 without problems.

Now with Windows 10 I also use the latest driver but I get spikes in all the games and generally I don't have such a smooth experience as before.

Do you think that it's a driver problem? Does any older driver work better for Windows 10 and HD7950?

2. TUMIK

TUMIK Member

GPU:
    HD7790
    try driver from windows update.

3. Romulus_ut3

Romulus_ut3 Master Guru

GPU:
    HD 7950 Vapor-X 3GB
    The latest ReLive driver works just fine on a HD 7950.

4. z8373767

z8373767 Member Guru

GPU:
    Fury Nitro 1070/600
    Typical for Win10 upgraded directly from Win7 and it could be win10 itself. Many friends had weird HDD usage (me too). After some tweaks like DWS Lite, OO&SU10, performance spikes gone and HDD calm down. It's real thing. I hate pre-installed/default Win10. Many useless process, many useless settings, many useless services, but still love tweaked/modded version. Runs much faster than Win7. I can't say same thing for default Win10.

HD 7950 will works fine on latest driver. My friend using it with HD 7870.

5. flow

flow Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX1080 2000Mhz
    You will just have to try some drivers , one by one. Start with the one you were using in win7, use the win10 version and do a total cleanout of older drivers first. Then fresh driver install. Work your way up from there and don't be afraid to return to previous driver for better results.

As for gaming difference between win7 and 10, I find there to be none, for DX11 games. DX12 games can run slower compared to their DX11 counterpart though, but that's because of the extra features.

Also, amd drivers are very specific in certain instances. Like an older driver being the fastest, except for farcry 5, which runs poor on them. A recent amd driver improved that radically for me. If I never played farcry 5, then I would say I don't need newest driver yet. If it's my only game, I will say the latest are the greatest.
    This goes for most new games btw, they usually run like you really need to upgrade your pc now, until after a new driver, which makes your pc "good enough" again.

ps. do a rerun of your settings in those games, chances are some are altered during the os upgrade, or you haven't finetuned them yet after a clean os install.

6. Montville

Montville Active Member

GPU:
    Aorus RX 570 4GB
    I had similar issues when upgrading from 7 to 10 - best idea is wipe the disk and clean install 10 from scratch. Then all should work smoothly.

7. AlleyViper

AlleyViper Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX480 GX 8GB
    Before returning to an earlier driver, right click in the affected game's exe, go to properties/compat and disable fullscreen optimizations, on top of disabling everything related to game bar and game dvr. If a game is using the new Hybrid fullscreen mode, it can cause stuttering.