Best Driver for GTX 980

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Vicalvi, Jul 13, 2018.

1. MaidenFred

MaidenFred Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3080Ti Suprim X
    For me and my 980ti, best driver is 377.83 quadro modded... fast enough with latest games and no lag

2. khanmein

khanmein Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 SC
  3. Sabbath

Sabbath Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Super
    The best driver for me is 391.74 Quadro, video card is a Gigabyte GTX 670.

4. SleazyE

SleazyE Guest

GPU:
    NVIDIA GTX 980
    Hello Fellas,

I am not into conspiracy theories, but..

I just finished setting up my new pc. I do have a GTX980, which i havent replaced with a new one. However:

- Downloaded latest version of cinebench from their page
    - Kept the drivers that windows did automagically install ( i think 388.something, not sure)
    - Did the opnegl test and got 177 fps

Right after that, in a matter of minutes:

- Downloaded the latest nvidia drivers (417.71-desktop-win10-64bit-international-whql) and installed them
    - Did the same test with cinebench and I do not get barelly over 140

I mean WTF? And why are people here telling use the latest bla bla?

Am I overseeing something or not considering...

5. warlord

warlord Guest

GPU:
    Null
    ^ IQ (Image Quality)

6. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    @SleazyE No nvidia always cared for older gen users. Run the tests again, you are not seeing it right. :D

Dagda and warlord like this.
  7. SleazyE

SleazyE Guest

GPU:
    NVIDIA GTX 980
    @warlord well as for the res, it was the same, or are you referring to something different.
    @Undying #sarcazm? right

warlord likes this.
  8. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
  9. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    I don't know, wasn't it AMD that killed support for pre-GCN cards in late 2015? Some of which were even flagship up until the end of 2011? Isn't that the same company that just now is starting to fix the laptop drivers nightmare by unifying drivers? The same company that artificially limited VSR on certain cards and just a few months back 'announced' support for Ultrawide supersampled resolutions while the competition has had those for a few years now? I wouldn't be so hasty.

10. sapo_joe

sapo_joe Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF RTX4090 OC
    I was using the last Vulkan drivers and updated to the latest, IMO the Vulkan ones were better as they didn't mess with the DSR as these latest did.

I'm even thinking about rolling back both my 2080 and the GTX 980 machines to the 417.63 drivers.

11. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    417.22 seems ok atm, anything newer or older 416.xx is a mess.

12. Smough

Smough Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660
    Did you perform a full clean driver install? With DDU? Then installing the new driver without any previous config from the other?

13. LesserHellspawn

LesserHellspawn Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080ti Eagle
    I always run the latest drivers to have the latest bug fixes. But the fastest driver ever on my rig, at least according to 3DMark, was the 388.10 hotfix driver. With that my rig scored almost 6700 points in Time Spy Extreme. The current drivers aren't reaching 6300 anymore. Fire Strike Ultra is worse even. Almost 10400 with 388.10, today it's slightly below 7000.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2019
  14. Smough

Smough Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660
    Have you re-done those tests again using that driver and the newer drivers?

15. LesserHellspawn

LesserHellspawn Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080ti Eagle
    I haven't since downgrading that far can cause problems.

16. SplashDown

SplashDown Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 980ti Classy
    EVGA 980ti Classy : Still using 399.24 at the moment, it runs my games good so just really no need to change right now but I always read the comments & usage ect. of new drivers.

17. jdc2389

jdc2389 Guest

GPU:
    980ti 1408/3650
    I'm having my best results yet with 417.58 XG modded driver, idc what anyone says I get better fps then everything else I've bothered with, I think it's safe to say avoid the latest drivers for now if you're on maxwell, they seem to be having trouble getting it right with turing atm, look at all the damn hotfixes, it's a mess. https://www.reddit.com/r/XtremeG/comments/aah7u3/xg_41758_hotfix_win10_x64/

E: on second thought, it gives great fps for csgo, higher than most drivers, but fps is a bit lower on r6 siege, guess it's not an all round winner. I'll give the latest a try again.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2019
  18. pimpineasy

pimpineasy Guest

GPU:
    1050ti/Rx570
    Check your card release date try few revions after check release info. Also, for expired cards try new gen first release. Generally, with my cards newest driver works.. But some of the 3rd party devices.. An win 10 isnt like xp everything is locked out p2w. Can modify your own latest driver package like XG an some users here.

19. gen0

gen0 Guest

GPU:
    I had to make an account here to tell you guys abut my findings - even in a 2 year old thread.

Those who say the latest driver is the best are either paid by Nvidia or simply don't know what they are talking about.

I happen to own a 980 and have done so for five years. recently, like so many others, i noticed a decrease in performance in games - even games from the era my GPU is from and of course in Heaven Benchmark, which I have used religiously over the years.

There is a SIGNIFCANT boost to performance when i replace the Horizon Zero Dawn game-ready driver (451.67) with one of the drivers mentioned by -Tj-.
    In this test i used the 394.67 driver, as suggested by -Tj-.

• With 451.67, while streaming with NVENC at 6000kbps, i get score: 1876 (max fps: 135)
    • With 397.64, while streaming with NVENC at 6000kbps, i get score: 3226. (max fps: 275)
    If you don't believe me, see for yourself:
    https://streamable.com/dfyja4

System:
    Asus z170-pro
    Intel i7-6700K
    16GB DDR4 Kingston HyperX Fury
    Galax Geforce 980 w/ Artic accellero extreme III cooler OC +75 on core, +400 on VRAM.
    Windows 10 LTSC Virtual machine running on Arch Linux host.
    Nothing has been changed, other than the driver. Only windows has been rebooted during DDU. I had the same applications running on Linux host during both benchmarks.

Lots of other people who support my claim:
    https://old.reddit.com/r/pcgaming/comments/35xnft/nvidia_driver_versions_causing_massive_difference/

I will continue to try other drivers suggested here and in that thread until i find one that doesn't give me black screen in OBS when using Vulkan :^)

Cheers

Attached Files:

fear029 likes this.
  20. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    5 years ago.

lol, stop posting.