best driver for an x1800xt

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by atomicskis5, Mar 2, 2006.

1. atomicskis5

atomicskis5 Master Guru

GPU:
    msi 4850
    what is the best driver for my new x1800xt?

2. reggis

reggis Active Member

GPU:
    4870x2 and 4870 crossfire
    Cats 6.2 are doing fine with my x1800 xt. Should probably start with the the most recent.

3. atomicskis5

atomicskis5 Master Guru

GPU:
    msi 4850
    The reason i ask is i dont know if this is a driver issue or what, but call of duty 2 keeps freezing on me so i have to restart. I am running it at 1280x960 wiht 4xaa, 8af, shadows on, medium bodies, medium dynamic lighting and smoke on world only. If i am correct, the graphics card should not be spazzing like it does. Can anybody help me out now?

4. reggis

reggis Active Member

GPU:
    I play CoD2 (sp and mp) all the time. No problems at all here. I would check to see that your motherboard drivers and bios are up to date. What card did you have in your system previously? Could be a driver conflict -- suggest you uninstall and use driver cleaner (www.drivercleaner.net) in the safe mode to clean out all the old drivers and reinstall the cats cleanly if you did not do previously. Hope you get it fixed soon. Let us know if this helps or not.

5. atomicskis5

atomicskis5 Master Guru

GPU:
    msi 4850
    Yep, i had a 6800gs in it before. I uninstalled the drivers and reinstalled them, and it works much better. What kind of overclock do you have on ur card?

6. reggis

reggis Active Member

GPU:
    689/787 -- using CCC. Playing with CoD2 options maxed 4/8 1680x1050 -- good performance and looks awesome :).

7. WildStyle

WildStyle Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970
    Speaking of overclocking, it's a pity that OverDrive maxes out so low, since it's the only reliable way to overclock at the moment on the x1800/x1900 series cards.

Sure, you can use a combination of ATI Tool and OverClocker.exe to set voltages and clocks respectively, but when you set the clocks with the latter it loosens the memory timings massively, so you'd be much better off clocking with ATI Tool as it does not do this and so even though it'd max out much lower, performance would be better with the tighter latencies for sure. Yet, no matter how hard W1zzard tries he cannot get a beta version out that doesn't have stability issues.