best cooling for a 4870x2 ?

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by radeonman, Apr 1, 2009.

1. radeonman

radeonman New Member

GPU:
    msi 4870x2
    hi folks ,

was wondering how to go about getting the best cooling for my new 4870x2 card ? what is / are the best passive cooling gadgets for the card ? is there a good water block for this particular card ? i have the option of water cooling for the card as i have a built in water cooling system ( 3d mercury case ) .

come on guru's - must be somebody out there who has found a good working solution to the best cooling for such an amazing graphics card .

radeonman .

2. salanos

salanos Maha Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX980 4GB (Ref.)
    It's impossible to passively cool that monster.

But there are waterblocks for the R700XT by Koolance and EK to name a few.

3. tuco

tuco Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2 460's
    I have a small extraction fan under the card, it has reduced temps by 2-3 degrees.

4. Sneakers

Sneakers Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 980Ti Windforce
    Never mind the water mate, get this instead:

Accelero 3x fan

This baby will cool your 4870x2 very well and I would pick it above any watercooling solution there is, given you have a well ventilated/good airflow case. Water can't really cool GPUs that good, water simply doesn't absorb heat fast enough when it comes to really high temperatures, wich the 4870x2 once OCed and overvolted produce.

5. hallryu

hallryu Don Altobello

GPU:
    2x HD7970
    I'm looking for one of these but can't find it in any of the suppliers yet!

6. Sneakers

Sneakers Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 980Ti Windforce
    Well keep looking, from what I have heard and the nummbers/reviews I read on it this is the best cooling solution for this card.

Depending on where you live and the ambinet temperature the results will obviously vary alot :).. but take me for an example with the stock cooling always at 37%/38% I have temperatures around 75 degrees in Crysis at 1920x1200 2x aa..imagine with that baby :) would be under 65 degrees probably!

7. they havent been released by Arctic Cooling yet. Well at least not here in the UK. My m8 is waiting for the release for his cooler.
    Come on Arctic, you said the end of March.....

The Accelero XTREME 4870X2 comes with a 6-year limited warranty. This product will be available by end of March 2009. The MSRP is US$68.30 and 53.95€ (excluding VAT).

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 1, 2009
  8. hallryu

hallryu Don Altobello

GPU:
    2x HD7970
    The delay is proper pissing me off tbh!

9. LedHed

LedHed Banned

GPU:
    BenQ FP241W
    supposedly this is the best solution for cooling the 4870X2 on air:

[​IMG]

It is a Thermalright T-Rad2 + Thermalright HR-03 GT

Or you could get the Palit Triple Slot Cooler!! :banana:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 1, 2009
  10. radeonman

radeonman New Member

GPU:
    msi 4870x2
    once again much obliged folks for all the advise , be checking out all those options for sure . what i dig about the catalyist control is that i have pushed my fan up to 55% and it no longer seems to heat up so fast while im playing stalker clear sky - not so much loud spinning every now and then like in the past . another problem is living here in south africa ( 3rd world ) we tend to get all the good products very late and so it such a bugger to get the things you really need . one thing i have noticed with this card over my old 3870x2 is that it exhausts a extreme amount of heat out the back vent , feels like a hairdryer at times ! my old card also did this but was much cooler over all .

many thanks once again mates .

radeonman .

11. bokah

bokah Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 670GTX 2G
    if it dosnt have dedicated cooling on hsi like stock and most water blocks has, dont get disappointed when u oc

12. tommcd64

tommcd64 Master Guru

GPU:
    Quadfire 2 4870 X2's
    If you aren't using water, until the accelero comes out the best thing you can do is replace the stock past on the gpu's with mx2 or another good quality paste and make sure you have good case circulation.

13. german199

german199 Active Member

GPU:
    Nvidia 9999K 120KB
    mine cooler on my graphic card spends 7$
    [​IMG]

easy and very cheap

14. grimeleven

grimeleven Active Member

GPU:
    ATI 4870X2 2GB
    Set mine on 33% but load temp goes 108Celcius :O
    Back to automatic = noisy brick!

Still waiting on AC cooler for mine, here's AC update on release date.

Code:
    [SIZE="3"]Thank you for contacting Arctic Cooling for your product needs.

A delivery schedule of 4870X2 VGA cooler to AC USA warehouse has been revised to early May, sorry for the delay[/SIZE]
    Delayed... i'll wait since watercool would do better but for the price of a 2nd 4870x2 or the GTX295 but then that one would need watercool since i cannot stand the noise it would make with no possibility for upgraded fan cooler. I got mine on August and there is still no better card (>50% performance) to upgrade else i would sell it. Maybe another X2 later with another AC cooler :D

60$ VS >400$ WC kit hmm...

15. radeonman

radeonman New Member

GPU:
    msi 4870x2
    german 199 ,

how well does that dual fan work on your 4870x2 ? i can get that particular model from ac as well but does it do a decent job ? can you maybe tell us how much it has brought your temps down on your g-card ?

radeonman.

16. XcroN

XcroN Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080Ti Aorus xtreme
    why you need to passive cool this GPU?you dont need such cooling system for that monster

17. Sneakers

Sneakers Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 980Ti Windforce
    Huh :)?

I can tell you right now that if you live in a southern country your X2 will boil eggs by time of june on stock fans :)

I got 20 degrees inside my casing atm, and I get temps of 75-85 celcius on max loads during Crysis and Age of Conan Dx10 play, and if you increase the ambient abit that those temps will go well over 100 degrees, and that is quite abit :banana:

18. take the plastic case off and attach fans directly over the blocks.. voila..

[​IMG]

or h2o or wait till the arctic cooler get released.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 6, 2009
  19. buddyfriendo

buddyfriendo Guest

GPU:
    2070 Super
    I just turn the fan up to 45%, done.
    [​IMG]

20. german199

german199 Active Member

GPU:
    Nvidia 9999K 120KB
    hmmm. if don't do anything, 50ºC, if i play crysis arround of 80ºC :pc1: