1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best Cooler for Intel Core i5 Lynnfield

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards Intel' started by Harmatia, Jul 4, 2010.

1. Harmatia

Harmatia Member

GPU:
    EVGA 470 GTX
    Hey guys, back for some of the awesome advice one can only get on Guru3D. :D

My Corei5 is running somewhat hot, hovering around 80 degrees under heavy load. While this is technically safe, its not great. This is with stock cooler and thermal paste.

I am going to be buying an aftermarket cooler. I have no experience or knowledge of which ones are good. I would be interested in water, but only if it requires zero maintenance.

Also, I have an Antec p193 case, which has a bit of an indent into the case for its fan, and I believe this causes some larger aftermarket coolers not to work.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

P.S: Should I buy arctic five with the new cooler, and some type of cleaner to clean off the old thermal paste?

2. mmsandi

mmsandi Master Guru

GPU:
    Corsair H50 if going water (good paste pre-applied) and depending on the budget for air coolers go with vendetta 2, venomous X, megahalems or noctua nh d-14

3. superweapons

superweapons Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX GTX 260 Core 216
    Low budget: AC Freezer 7 Pro rev. 2
    Medium Budget: CM Hyper 212 Plus (I'm pretty sure this was sitting in the low-budget sector a few months ago)
    High Budget: Prolimatech Megahalem
    Ultra High budget: Noctua NH-U12P/NH-D14/Corsair H50/Zalman CNPS10X Extreme

These coolers should all have their own paste that's as good as, if not better than AS5.

4. ---TK---

---TK--- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296

5. Harmatia

Harmatia Member

GPU:
    EVGA 470 GTX
    Ah, the Xigmatech seems very easy to install. Something I would have mentioned as a priority if I wasn't such a n00b (necessitating the ease of install). :D

Still researching, appreciate the suggestions.

6. Skyline1010

Skyline1010 Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 650Ti Boost
    The Xigmatek is a great cooler. I was a little skeptical about mine at first, but as you can see I've gotten pretty far with it. I'm also running the bolt-through kit on it now, but even with the push-pin setup I could run 4.13GHz.

7. asingh

asingh Master Guru

GPU:
    Powercolor 4890 (X-Fire)
    NH-D14 is kind of errrrm..big. Do measure it, before you buy it.

8. Imperious

Imperious Master Guru

GPU:
    Gainward Phoenix GTX1070
    Even my Xigmatek HDT-SD964 does a good job with my I5 750@3.8GHZ.

Exactly what i5 do You have?

9. sirrith

sirrith Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 5850 1GB
    I was in the same position you were a few weeks ago. Read a bunch of reviews, and settled with the Zalman CNPS10X series, they're great performance for the price. Most reviews put them on par with the Noctua (which is a huge beast of a cooler) for lower price and less weight.
    I have the Flex version myself, lets you choose your own fans.
    Getting 54C max load temp with 28 degrees ambient and an Akasa Apache fan at 1100rpm. Havn't tried overclocking yet, but only because I'm lazy :)