Best cooler for AMD FX

Discussion in 'Die-hard Overclocking & Case Modifications' started by Dazz, Apr 28, 2014.

1. Dazz

Dazz Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS STRIX RTX 2080
    I just purchased a new CPU to replace my AMD Phenom II X6 1090T. I picked up a AMD FX 8320 CPU which was going pretty cheap so thought why not.

I am able to hit 5GHz with it but becomes unstable when it hits 70C which i believe is the max rated temp from AMD, or at least according to AMD overdrive. Now i may still have some tweaking as i am using 1.43v and using a Gigabyte 990FXA Rev1.0 motherboard so has no load line calibration i am also thinking of buying a new motherboard too then sell my processor and motherboard on. So thoughts on a good motherboard is also welcomed.

So looks like i am in a market for a new cooler, it may also be the thermal compound i have got is crap too since it is the generic Arctic cooling, i do have some IC Diamond 7-Carat Thermal Compound in the post so hopefully that should make a difference.

The CPU cooler i am currently using is the pretty old now Thermalright Silver Arrow with the two stock 140mm fans.

AT present i am running along at 4.5GHz witch stock voltage and max's out at 40C

Any ideas?

[​IMG]

2. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Im running the FX-8350 @ 4.8GHz with 1.49v with a Corsair H100i cooler, and temps under load never get much higher than 50c

Think Ive seen 51c once

3. Dazz

Dazz Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS STRIX RTX 2080
    Thanks, i have been looking at the two the H100 is about the same performance as a Silver arrow and the H100i is about 3C cooler, might be the thermal compound holding me back. Should hopefully get the good stuff tomorrow so i can reseat the cooler too.

4. antonyfrn

antonyfrn Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 FTW
    I have a H100i good cooler does a nice job I have it setup in push & pull using 4 of the stock PWN fans from corsair. Load temps for me are around 34c and my idle temps hit around 25c.

But only let down is the Corsair Link software its buggy as hell they just recently moved to using CPUID source code to detect components etc and most resent update shows my CPU temp around 20C higher so I'm running the last beta. Updates are extremely slow win8 support has only just been added also LED bug is not fixed.

5. Dazz

Dazz Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS STRIX RTX 2080
    Thanks guys i am hearing some good things about the NZXT KRAKEN X60 a tad bit better the the H110.

6. antonyfrn

antonyfrn Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 FTW
    Dazz just a update for you just upgraded my CPU from a 955BE to a FX-8350BE idle temps are around 10c load 25c seen it hit 30c once but im using crappy Artic Silver 5 on there atm think ill order some new thermal paste the same stuff what comes with the H100i as it apparently gives extremely good temps

7. Barry J

Barry J Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX2080 TRIO Super
    I also have H100i keeps my FX nice and cool

8. LoccOtHaN

LoccOtHaN Banned

GPU:
    ATi/AMD XFX 7970 DD GhzED
  9. hashboyuk

hashboyuk Active Member

GPU: