1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best card for Pentium III 800 system?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by roycymru, Sep 21, 2003.

1. roycymru

roycymru Guest

There seems to be lot of knowledgeable people out there, and I wonder if I can pick your brains. From what I have read for the full benefit of the latest videocards I would need a Pentium 4 system or equivalent. However I am happy with my Pentium III system and don't want to play latest games on full spec, but just with good stable smooth performance and reasonable speed. Therefore can can you please recommend a card (I don't want to spend more than £150) that will perform well on my system. Also something that is not too noisy or power hungry! Thanks.

Pentium III 800, Geforce 2 MX, 256 mb RAM, Windows 98 SE, Abit ST6

2. WildStyle

WildStyle Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970
    geforce 2 Ti, geforce 3 Ti, geforce 4 Ti? i dont think theres any point spending the full amount of you're budget. you already have a geforce 2 so the Ti version wouldnt be much better. not sure if a geforce 4 Ti 4200 would be too powerful 4 ur system? maybe sum1 else can help out there? but i'd probly say get one of those. theyre cheap (a lot below you're budget) and perform well.

3. Bondolus

Bondolus Master Guru

GPU:
    ATi HD 3600 512mb
    Well, the card you have might be the best for your set-up...but a GF3 ti-200 or GF3 ti-500. Even if you got a GF2 Ultra that would be sufficient. Last card i would recommend would be a GF4 mx series.

4. GrrRila

GrrRila Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 9800 Pro
    yea, get a gf3 ti-200. I think those were top of the line back when 800mhz processors were fast.

however, I recommend that you get a 8500LE. I have one and I"m very satisfied with it. It should be faster than the ti200.

5. effenjee

effenjee Master Guru

GPU:
    ATI Radeon 9800xt
    It would also depend on if you expect to upgrade your computer in the near future or not. If you are, then it would behoove you to get something that will compliment a faster systemas well, like the gf4 ti. Otherwise, I'd stick to the GF3's.

6. Maelstrom

Maelstrom Guest

Fu*k it if you are willing to spend 150£ I say get yourself a Radeon 9600 Pro. Its a great card and future proof so if you decide to upgrade your PCU in the future you wont need rush out and buy a new card.

7. roycymru

roycymru Guest

Thanks for your replies. Which of the GF3 ti200, Radeon 8500 LE, or or Radeon 9600 Pro are quietest and least power hungry? (Also what wattage power supply would these cards expect as a minimum?)

8. RaZoR_Blade

RaZoR_Blade Guest

Radeon 9600 is very quiet and doesnt need external power connector that says everything ..it is silent and doesnt need huge ammount of wattages to work stable ;) if u can spend the whole 150 go for it .. i really recommend it

9. nm+

nm+ Don Cappuccino Staff Member

GPU:
    old
    Are you really comparing GF3 and 8500LE vs 9600Pro?
    I have a ti500 in an old PII450(440BX :rock: ) and it was able to run everything up until i got my 2Ghz machine.
    However, I'd say Ti4200 becauzse you can't find ti500s anymore. The 9600 would be bottlenecked -- save the cash for a new system in the future.

10. nm+

nm+ Don Cappuccino Staff Member

GPU:
    old
    Or thats what i would have said until I saw new egg having 9600 pros (Sapphire) for the same price as Ti4200 ($120) -- not sure if you'll find similar prices in UK

11. GrrRila

GrrRila Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 9800 Pro
    nah, newegg's 9600 pro is $150, but with the ti4200 at $120, its not much difference. The GF3 ti200 is slightly slower than the 8500LE, but the GF3 ti 200 is generally more expensive. Both of those cards will be perfect for your system, but if you get the 9600 Pro, you won't have to buy a new video card when you upgrade your system.

12. Twinke Masta

Twinke Masta Guest

sweet a jew, i was in Israel for 2 years man sweet place i was in Jerusalem adn moved to Tel Vive for a while anyway man Shalom!!!

13. Blissed

Blissed Master Guru

GPU:
    Inno3d 8800GTS 320mb
    I would have thought a GF3 would suffice, if you can find one these days. Of the current range of cards the Geforce FX 5200 128Mb can be bought for a little over £50 and that would be the cheapest route and as good as any for your machine.

14. Elanzer

Elanzer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 9700 @ 325/580 (3.6ns hynix..)
    Yeah the FX5200 is good enough for that hardware.. hell it's more than good enough for a 800mhz p3 (look at my specs heh), I went from a GF2MX to a FX5200 even and gained a good ammount of performance, maxing out my cpu pretty much anyways. a Ti4800SE in my box gets about 600 3dmarks more, and thats only because more fps in the nature benchmark...

Mostly any FX5200 (128bit), Radeon 9100, GF3 (any GF3) will be sufficient.

15. gryphon

gryphon Guest

to my knowledge, i believe anything that 800mhz can do, the geforce2 mx-400 can be used to efficiently work it. I only use the system on my right to play Counter-strike, no other game, altho ive tried other games they just didn't click with me. I have it overclocked to 230/220, and the fps on my computer is around 30 minimum to 100. usually around 60-100, which is definatly not bad. However I wanted more, that 30fps minimum was a drag, so I purchased a 8500LE... and I must tell you, after I've done pretty much EVERYTHING to tweak it, I was getting 25-100fps... Needless to say I returned the 8500 and looked at my geforce2 in a whole new way, and im totally serious when I say, I've tried EVERYTHING, from overclocking, to turning everything on/off, to rolling back to previous drivers. ugh it was soo painful. Im not saying the 8500 is a bad card tho

16. Maelstrom

Maelstrom Guest

A Radeon 8500 would Rape the Ass of a Geforce 2.

17. Elanzer

Elanzer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 9700 @ 325/580 (3.6ns hynix..)
    But you won't always notice the improvement of a radeon 8500 vs gf2mx, in natural selection I didn't gain 1 fps on my upgrade because that game is very CPU dependant, much more than other HL mods like CS.

18. Incognito

Incognito Guest

Yep, it'd sooooooo easily rape it's ass. I'd say avoid FX 5200's (since they get pwned easily by even the 8500LE). Best bet imo is GF4 Ti4200, they're fast, cheap, and can pretty much run any game thrown at them.

And for a point of reference, I have a Duron 1 GHz (pretty close to P3 800 MHz) and it's paired up with a Radeon 8500LE and it can run just about anything (I played Unreal 2k3 on her for a long time before I got my Athlon 2400+ and had no problem killing peeps online ;)).

If you get Ti4200 you should be able to pretty much run most games without a hitch.

Edit: Yes, CPU dependance can sometimes lead to not much FPS gain after a video card upgrade, but usually the video card has enough brute force to atleast partially overcome this CPU dependance.

19. RaZoR_Blade

RaZoR_Blade Guest

im half jew and half christian ;) .. and i didnt born i israel. .

anyway what were you doing here ??

btw boring place gotta go outttt of here :p i hate it lol

after ill serve in the army i want to move to canada/USA or australia .. :)

20. Grov

Grov Guest

www.aria.co.uk

Ti4200 64mb for less than 100quid, and a 128mb ain't much more. Id say go for it, a Geforce 3 Ti won't be much less.