Best Buy Sells Customer a Large Brick In Place of a MacBook Pro. Literally.

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by DSK, May 2, 2009.

1. DSK

DSK Banned

GPU:
    HD5770/BenQ G2220HD
    SOURCE

Well done best buy lol

2. Jenova_link

Jenova_link Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 580
    Wow first its walmart game boy now best buy with apple what is next you buy a car and end up with a brick as a engine???... or a brick car...lol

3. 3x3cUt0r

3x3cUt0r Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 980 Ti Gaming 6G
    mmm sounds way too suspicious to me, imo the guy may be trying to scam BB to get a MacBook Pro for free.

4. lmimmfn

lmimmfn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AorusXtreme 1080Ti
    much better markup on bricks lol

5. Iarwain

Iarwain Banned

GPU:
    4890 990//1120
    That is freaking hilarious.

6. JohnMaclane

JohnMaclane Ancient Guru

GPU:
    8800GTS 640mb
    Apple a bricks worth of computer.

7. Alexstarfire

Alexstarfire Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce 9800GTX+ @ stock
    Well, it's functionally the same. I don't see what the complaint is.

Ok ok, I'm kidding.

Not sure why these become stories though. It's only 1 person and not a string of people and it's very obvious that someone stole the object and replaced it with the brick, either him or someone else. Only have to figure out who stole it.

8. RejZoR

RejZoR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD4870 Silent
    We've had a similar thing a year or two ago in one of our store center.
    LCD TV box was filled with bags of dirt (earth) and everything else was filled with light chunks of EPS. I think someone stolen it during transport or even by someone from our company. This only sucks if customer wants the real thing instead a brick (or dirt).
    Because it can be true or just someone who wants to get a second Mac for free.

9. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 1080TI
    This is a possibility.

10. Chouji

Chouji Ancient Guru

GPU:
    19 inch flat screen
    I dont think i'll ever buy something that expensive. from walmart or bestbuy or any retailer like that without opening the package instore.

It may be inconvenient but i've read to many of these stories.

I've read stories where a man bought a computer, and returned it to the store because after opening the box, he found it was full of potatoes.
    When it was replaced (by a computer a store employ checked out before selling) he returned again and it was full of potatoes.
    The guy was just gutting the computers and returning them.

Then you see stories where the stores do the switch, not the store themselves but most likely a jilted employee.

Moral of the story, if you buy anything in a closed box where you can not see the product, open it in store at the customer service counter.
    If you buy something and you find out it's a brick or the wrong product, without ever leaving the store, they cant refuse to replace it or refund you.
    If they try to refuse, call the police, tell them about how you read all these stories and now you open products in stores. And i'm sure you'll get a refund or replacement.

11. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    thats a street scam
    some dim wit i know bruoght a camcorder off some guy in a crack area "wow" he told me "it still has strink wrap on it it cant be a scam" lol 150 down but wiser

12. metaltoiletry

metaltoiletry Maha Guru

GPU:
    XFX HD5870
    I think this kind of thing happened a few times with the PS2 when it first came out. I remember some kid opening a PS2 on Christmas, but instead of having a PS2 in the box, it was a phone book. It was probably someone in one of the shipping departments.

13. evilkiller650

evilkiller650 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 980ti AMP! Extreme
    Agreed.

14. eat@joes

eat@joes Maha Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire AMD 6850
    The guy is clearly trying to steal the laptop. I worked at Best Buy for a while. When someone buy's any computer (PC or laptop) we take it out of the package and inspect it and make sure everything boots up. Then we had to copy down the serial number and all that good stuff. You never leave the store with a new computer without it coming out of the package first.

If things have changed since then that's too bad. We did that to prevent returns and prevent theft. I saw many hard drives and video card boxes fill with junk when being returned.

15. masterchiefx2

masterchiefx2 Banned

GPU:
    GTX 280 Sli
    i bet he did that so he could get his money back wayyyyy too suspicous

16. 91LudeSiT

91LudeSiT Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4GD5T@1435/1750
    This is why i always make the retailer open the box and prove it works before I walk out of the store.

17. FULMTL

FULMTL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AOC 27"
  18. jumjumski

jumjumski Member Guru

GPU:
    mobility 4570
    yep...was thinking the same thing

19. NeoElNino

NeoElNino Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX1080 8GB Soon
    i went to buy my GTX 295 from best buy aka. Future Shop in Canada, ... i bought an open box bcse it was cheaper... arrived home opened the package and realized that the card was a GTX260 MAXCORE.

Of course, the previous buyer did the trick and returned it back and the jerk removed the sticker saying it was a 260.

20. metaltoiletry

metaltoiletry Maha Guru

GPU:
    XFX HD5870
    All the Best Buys here in MA are a joke. Worst customer service I've ever seen in a retail store. I told a sales rep. that I wanted to buy a laptop and after talking about them for a bit, he disappeared and I had to wait like 20 minutes for someone else to help me. That someone else ended up getting the sale instead of the original sales rep. They also did not take down any serial numbers, or take the laptop out of the box for me.