Best Browser ?

Discussion in 'General Software and Applications' started by iLovPieNCake, Feb 26, 2008.

1. Animatrix

Animatrix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    BFG 8800GT OC2 512
    Im sure they do, but you still made it sound easy from a coding point of view. You say it's a matter of priority and economics, that may be true, but the end result is the same.

More worrying i think is when you say the Opera developers want to wait to get surpassed before improving. Considering Opera's market share, and hunger for more, the idea of waiting when your not even close to being a dominant force in your field seems like the wrong road to take. I think for historical and practical reasons, browsers like Opera and Firefox will always have to work harder at capturing it's audience, then browsers that come build-in to OS's like IE. Waiting to get surpassed is one step forwards two steps back. I know from the language used both by users but more importantly developers that Firefox development is not going to rest on it's laurels, they truly believe and strive to make Firefox a dominating player. Sure it might seem unrealistic but it is a goal, a standard you might say.

2. Animatrix

Animatrix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    BFG 8800GT OC2 512
    In that case, it should be obvious that standards alone will do nothing without implementation. It is not just the lack of standard compliant browsers that is the issue here. If every web page was 100% standard compliant and the web developers didn't care about anything but being standard compliant, then maybe IE had gotten forced to get with the program faster. However when half the pages are specially crafted just to cater to a non-standard compliant browser then you see the problem is two-way. I think giving MS that much responsibility for the web standards is not at all rational. In fact i think it speaks volumes that IE has gotten so much blame for pages not rendering correctly in standard compliant browsers, when in fact it is the pages fault when you get right down to the nitty gritty of it.

Don't think im so stupid i don't understand why this has happened, or that im now blaming it all on the web developers, im not. Im just saying web standards without implementation is nothing, it's a mirage.

3. PrinceGaz

PrinceGaz Maha Guru

GPU:
    GF8800GTS 640MB @ stock
    Opera makes money from selling browsers included on mobile devices. They make nothing from selling browsers for Windows, other than raising market awareness of their other products. As their market-share on the PC platform is so small, the market-awareness aspect for mobile sales will be negligible (you need someone who likes Opera on their PC, and who then uses it to influence their mobile device purchase-- probably a fraction of one percent). I suspect most of Opera's reason for continuing to maintain the Windows version is so they can test the effect of changes on their development machines without having the overhead of verifying and testing every change on the mobile devices they really target. No self-respecting developer would want that Windows version of the product they are working with every day to be inferior to the competition, so it is natural for them to respond to the competition as needed.

Whilst it is better to be proactive rather than reactive, all Opera really need to do with their Windows browser is keep pace with Firefox to maintain their support. People who use Opera do so for a variety of reasons, and I don't think Opera are really bothered that only around 2% of people use it on PCs. They wouldn't make any more money if 20% of people used it on their PC. So long as it doesn't lag behind the competition to any great extent, it will keep its current users who have grown to like it.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2008
  4. xankazo

xankazo Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1060 SC (6GB)
    Firefox, nuff said! :p

5. Psytek

Psytek Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x 260 GTX 216 SLI
    No offence, but have you ever tried to build a page that looks correct in all browsers?

It takes a few minutes to write a simple layout style that will work and look identical in all standards compliant browsers.
    You then have to spend hours adding in catches and hacks to detect when someone is using ie, and which version, and swap in/out various bits of html/css that ie handles wrongly/not at all.
    Some people write wholly different style sheets for ie.

It IS microsoft's fault, they used categorically illegal business practices to make ie the number one browser, and refused to build its rendering engine in line with CSS standards. It is most certainly not web developers who are to blame, and you won't find a single developer who doesn't strongly advocate standards. But when 90% of the target market is using a non-standard browser, you have to add the hacks, you have to add the conditional comments, and you have to work around ie's borked rendering.

ie7 has got a lot better, but at the same time, it still has bugs, and now that safari 3 and firefox 3 are out, everyone will be moving to CSS 3 standards, and ie7 will be left behind again.

6. F1refly

F1refly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX-oc edition
    i agree

also, MS never seems to do much with IE, they just tack on some exploit fixes, look how long it took them to go from 6 to 7. others seem to do better at offering more features or ease of use.
    usually, when i vlite an install, i remove IE7, maybe if the community for themes, extensions..etc was better like FF's is, i'd use it as i hate installing 3rd party apps anyway, but many of ms's built in ones arnt that useful to me

7. Drizzt

Drizzt Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA Geforce 7800GT @ Stock OC
    I decided I would go and test FF3B3. 7660ms total. Impressive.

8. TheHunter

TheHunter Banned

GPU:
    MSi N570GTX TFIII [OC|PE]
    i wondered that too, but i end up using FireFox, and its fast too lol, all u need is a plugin called Faster-fox (and disable page timer function) and together with no-script it runs really good^^
    Yea i saw a chat about JS and adblock, i used them both but, now i only use no-script as it already blocks those things that can be blocked by adblocker. And adb seems not important unless you really want a specific image/activex (like a mini net player) blocked, if it can't be blocked by no-script. And tuneup utilities also has a function to tweak FF and this also helped a bit i think lol ( tuneup has also a function pipelining but i left this one disabled, because its done by fasterfox).