Best Browser ?

Discussion in 'General Software and Applications' started by iLovPieNCake, Feb 26, 2008.

1. Animatrix

Animatrix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    BFG 8800GT OC2 512
    Lol don't you think i know that ? I even mention the engine for god sake, and by the way Cairo is not a new engine, it is part of Gecko.

I know the Trunk is fast on JavaScript i already posted this in the sticky, however as it has not been released yet you can't really say Firefox is faster on javascript...yet.

Besides he didn't ask about Firefox he asked about Opera and Maxthon, so i answered. What does Firefox JavaScript speed have to do with this ?

2. TyrantofJustice

TyrantofJustice Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 super
    i been using both ff and ie7
    firefox for regular stuff and ie7 for myspace
    ff wont let my musiclist on myspace play or any of my downloaded videos
    even with the plugin
    been that way for 3 months now
    it was working then stopped and i have no add ons

3. Psytek

Psytek Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x 260 GTX 216 SLI
  4. Animatrix

Animatrix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    BFG 8800GT OC2 512
    You mean on Windows ?

How is the latest win beta, last i tried it was still fairly buggy.

5. Psytek

Psytek Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x 260 GTX 216 SLI
    Its not crashed on me yet in windows. But I don't do much web browsing on my windows box.

6. Animatrix

Animatrix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    BFG 8800GT OC2 512
    No it wasn't crashing it was just sluggish and had some strange rendering on some pages. But not crashing is always good :D

7. F1refly

F1refly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX-oc edition
    yeah, the people who havnt figured out how to tweak it yet and didnt realize its made for dialup users.

once tweaked though, the difference is very noticable.

8. scipio

scipio Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Evga 1080 gaming
    I bought opera years ago and loved it, it's even better now

9. PrinceGaz

PrinceGaz Maha Guru

GPU:
    GF8800GTS 640MB @ stock
    Opera is worth another look then. It was one of the first browsers to fully pass the Acid2 browser compliance test which checks if it correctly adheres to all generally agreed upon standards. Unfortunately MS had their own standards, and following web-standards completely meant that sites which only worked with IE6 failed with Opera, a design-decision to try to ensure compliance (Opera is widely used on mobile devices which are an increasingly important market sector, despite still only having 2-3% PC browser usage).

IE7 was a lot better, and already IE8 betas fully pass the Acid2 test. MS is obviously deciding to conform so Opera should work fully with all websites very soon (there are very few which still have problems with it, but there is the odd one I come across maybe once a month which is why I keep IE7 and Firefox 2 available-- though I almost always have to resort to IE7 not FF2 for it). One thing Opera doesn't and is never likely to support is ActiveX so those websites which rely upon it (like Windows Update) will always require IE or an IE-based browser.

As for JavaScript speed, I'm sure Opera will tweak their code if they are generally seen as falling behind FF3 when it is released. They'll be well aware of what is happening with Firefox (all they do is make browsers for numerous platforms after all) so they will want to compete. And so long as only a small minority of people use it on the PC, it will remain generally more secure because most hackers don't see it as worth their time attacking.

Last edited: Feb 29, 2008
  10. UG_PL

UG_PL Banned

GPU:
    Asus HD3850 512MB @ 770Mhz/925Mhz
    Opera . I'm using it already for two days and I love it. Before I used FireFox but it got kind of slow. IE is not that bad too.
    The thing I love about Opera is that the browser blocks every freaking popup!

11. Drizzt

Drizzt Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA Geforce 7800GT @ Stock OC
    Yeah I did the test with IE7 64-bit and got ~19200ms. Did it with tweaked FF2 and got ~12000

12. Norvekh

Norvekh Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2080 Ti
    I've used all browsers mentioned so far, including some not. For the most part I can deal with any of them. My preferences though? For Windows it's IE7 or Opera but I'll occasionally use Firefox. In OSX I tend to flip between Opera and Safari and for Linux I use Opera exclusively. Safari is nice, but I don't care for some of the ways it works (such as Favorites, I just want a drop-down menu, thanks). Opera is a very nice browser but poorly coded pages are rendered really badly. IE7 is good for compatibility and doesn't have a ton of crap that some of the other browsers are throwing in now (FF3 keeps getting more and more stuff that I'd never use).

13. Tat3

Tat3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB GTX 1660 Ti OC
    I would say FireFox but somehow it stopped working...

Atm I'm using K-Meleon.

So far everything seems to be fine.

14. Animatrix

Animatrix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    BFG 8800GT OC2 512
    Web standards compliance is nice and important, especially from a developers standpoint. However most people do not care about standards compliance they don't care about anything but the pages displaying correctly, no matter why. A "hacked" page made for IE displaying wrong in a standard compliance web browser will be seen as the browsers fault and they won't use it. It is as simple as that. Also Firefox 1.x and 2.x worked just great on most pages for a long time and it wasn't rendering the Acid test, so how big is the problem really from a practical point of view. The real problem as you mentioned is the "hacked" pages specially made for IE using some bizarre way to get the job done, this often broke other browsers page rendering. Don't get me wrong im all for standards im just saying only geeks and developers really care about standards, the rest just want it to work and they don't care how or why.

Maybe, but you make it sound so easy that i wonder why they didn't do it already then.
    There is a huge difference between something being secure and then it not being attacked much, if you had used the word safer i might have agreed. A treasure chest hidden in the sand is not secure, it's just hidden. It is safer then in plain view but there is nothing stopping anyone from taking it if they find it.

15. Psytek

Psytek Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x 260 GTX 216 SLI
    Web standards are important because if all browsers supported the same css/js/DOM standards, then web pages wouldn't need loads of extra code to detect what browser you are using and 'hack' the web page accordingly. Performance would be better for everyone if all browsers adhered to standards.

And on top of that, every time someone brings out a new non-compliant browser, you have to go back and add new hacks to your page to make it work again.

Imagine if you had to write different code depending on the users name. Many times more work, just because someone puts an arbitrary barrier in the way.

16. anwaypasible

anwaypasible Banned

GPU:
    evga / 7900 GTO / 512mb @ 676/1554
    standards are a mark of quality.

a bunch of disagreements wont get anything optimized.

17. Animatrix

Animatrix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    BFG 8800GT OC2 512
    I know why standards are important. Besides the name implies it all, it's obvious, there is nothing to explain. My point was standards do not "sell" browsers, normal users don't care about the how and why, they just want it to work nothing more, nothing less.

What are all these new non-compliant browsers you are talking about ?

18. F1refly

F1refly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX-oc edition
    funny how everyone's experience is different, even with something like a browser. personally i found the complete opposite.

i tried the latest opera not too long ago and realized it didnt block nearly as many popups as well as FF did. i also noticed how nice having Adblock extension on FF is too

my fav extension is "remove it permantly". at first its a pain to go through all your most visted sites and remove all the frames, pointless color bars or menus and whatnot that you never want to view again, but after that its awesome as it really slims and streamlines websites, even the google search engine, i can remove everything except the search bar.
    but on most of my sites, i can view alot more of what i want to see within the same space cause when you remove it, the space isnt left empty and what you keep expands onscreen within it so its less scrolling down to view info

they can also be a mark of unoriginality or hinderance...depending. some standards prevent free-will or ideas. they can sometimes prevent things from improving. lots of things from MS need improving but they set many standards and then we get stuck within its limits...but i know what your saying

Last edited: Mar 1, 2008
  19. PrinceGaz

PrinceGaz Maha Guru

GPU:
    GF8800GTS 640MB @ stock
    Regarding JS rendering speed in Opera

The Opera developers have many priorities to be worked upon, and their PC browser is really just a free showcase that brings a total of zero sales into the business (they give it away for free). It would be wasteful for them to devote resources to improve something they make no direct money from until the competition has surpassed it. Only when that happens, is it worthwhile looking at what they have done and tweaking the code (and whilst they won't steal the open-source FF code, I'm sure they'll have a good look at it and see how their own can be optimised). Open-source code does tend to let even free closed-source products gain from any advances made.

20. Psytek

Psytek Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x 260 GTX 216 SLI
    replace someone with 'microsoft'...