Best Browser ?

Discussion in 'General Software and Applications' started by iLovPieNCake, Feb 26, 2008.

1. F1refly

F1refly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX-oc edition
    i like a tweaked firefox, by default its a tad slower but changing some values like pipelining help speed it up alot.

i just dont understand why they dont make firefox defaulted for braudband instead of dialup

2. Gamergod

Gamergod Maha Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 4870 512mb
    It does default?

3. Alexstarfire

Alexstarfire Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce 9800GTX+ @ stock
    Opera is fast, but I've seen too many pages get messed up in it, with one of them being the online portion of my college. Since I need it, I simply can't use Opera. It's hard to say if it's the browser or if someone just didn't code the site properly, since a lot of places don't use the proper HTML coding but instead use what works on on browser. Hope we end up on a standard soon enough. No need to have an IE version of a page and a Firefox one.

4. Gamergod

Gamergod Maha Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 4870 512mb
    Most likely because Opera enables pipelining by default which breaks sites.

5. Palerider

Palerider Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS X1950XTX
  6. PrinceGaz

PrinceGaz Maha Guru

GPU:
    GF8800GTS 640MB @ stock
    Opera works best for me, just about the only time I need to use anything else is to visit the MS Update site to get all the latest security fixes for Windows XP (which is generally once a month, a few days after patch tuesday so I can check if the patches have issues).

Because I use Opera and a lesser known third-party firewall, attacks against them are rare indeed, making it much more secure than using Firefox. As for spell-checking, that can be added to Opera with a free third-party module (I've nevre bothred with it myself as I'm good at spelling).

I wasn't aware of the pipelining thing with Opera, I just use default settings and they work for me fine. I'll check that out so I know what to look for in future.

7. proFits

proFits Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080
    Seeing how many remote functionnalities have to be configured in Firefox I have to go with IE6 that works all the time right out of the box

8. InfDaMarvel

InfDaMarvel Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HD3850 256mb
    Firefox + Addblock

Why? I Remember the days where I use to get every type of virus and spyware possible. Ever since I started using Firefox it seems to have cut down upon these things. May also be various other programs I use. But hey, it works and i might as well stick wit it.

I didnt like the way Opera loaded my pages, seemed slow to me.
    I'm just straight up tired of using IE, I dont like how their tabs are setup.

9. Animatrix

Animatrix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    BFG 8800GT OC2 512

Maxthon and others like it are really front-ends or shells. Maxthon can use both (either) the IE and Firefox engine (Trident and Gecko). Opera is a real browser using it's own engine (Presto). Opera is fast (especially it's javascript) and it has a good security track record. It has build-in features, like "paste and go" which IMO should be build into all browsers.

On the other hand i also really like how Firefox by way of extensions can have a small base and then let it be expanded upon to suit your personal needs. Features you don't need build-in only equates to bloat in the end and many front-ends are IMO just that, bloated with features.

I have used Firefox for too long to use anything else it's just how i do things. I don't like other browsers i can't really say why, but i just don't. I have run Opera and i do think it's a nice browser but it's just not the same, im sure long time Opera users feel exactly the same way about Firefox.

Personally i doubt that gimmicks, promises of speed increase and more safety, would make most people switch browsers. I have said it before, browsers are personal, much more so then other types of software. You get into habits and ways of doing things which can be hard to brake out of even if there are "better or faster ways".

10. iLovPieNCake

iLovPieNCake Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX GTX 285
    I guess I will test Opera for this week if I don't like it I will stay with Firefox.

11. aircool

aircool Don Aircooleone Staff Member

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 560 Ti 448 Core
    Its worth a try imo, I never regretted it. Just give it a chance ;)

Being open minded is always a good thing.

12. Gamergod

Gamergod Maha Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 4870 512mb
    Firefox is also a "real browser" as it has it's own engine in gecko ( open source ) and in FF3 cairo.

As to javascript performance, FF3 is now faster than Opera 9.5.

Test here

http://webkit.org/perf/sunspider-0.9/sunspider.html

Latest nightly renders in 2.8 minutes, Opera 9.5 is unable to complete it. Safari is a tad faster but nothing to notice.

13. sosone

sosone New Member

GPU:
    8800 ultra@700/1700/2400
    Opera BSF(is the best, the safest and the fastest browser)

14. Gamergod

Gamergod Maha Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 4870 512mb
    Ok, its official Opera is no longer the fastest javascript browser.

Clean profile on all browsers

Sunspider Javascript Benchmark

Firefox 3 - Latest nightly - 2640.4ms
    Safari Beta 3.1 - 2654.8ms
    Opera 9.5 Beta - 5185.2ms
    IE7 - I don't fancy waiting 10 minutes to complete a run ;)

http://webkit.org/perf/sunspider-0.9/sunspider-driver.html

15. anwaypasible

anwaypasible Banned

GPU:
    evga / 7900 GTO / 512mb @ 676/1554
    i did that link on ie7: 19172.2ms +/- 4.1%

16. krisby

krisby Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 970
    I used to use Opera years ago but stopped after one too many pages that wouldn't load properly, haven't tried any recent versions though.
    I was using IE6 for a while and now at my new work we have Firefox I carried on using it at home too and now install it for anyone I do computer work for, they all love it, and if your anti M$ its a perfect solution. I find it quicker and more intuitive than IE.

17. Voodoo54

Voodoo54 Active Member

GPU:
    Builtin
    mozilla firefox

18. Palerider

Palerider Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS X1950XTX
    Am I the only one who thinks Firefox feels slower?

19. kelviiv

kelviiv Member

Mozilla Firefox =)

20. aircool

aircool Don Aircooleone Staff Member

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 560 Ti 448 Core
    No, there are others.