Best "bang for the buck" upgrade for me?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by gulbane, Oct 6, 2005.

1. gulbane

gulbane Master Guru

GPU:
    eVGA 6600GT 128MB
    Hey all

Looking at what I currently have, Im looking to upgrade to a PCI-Express mobo and a 7800 series card. I use a 19" LCD monitor which has a max resolution of 1280x1024. I absolutely love my monitor, even though the 1280x1024 is considered terrible. I have read that unless you have a very high resolution monitor, the new 7800GTX/GTs dont offer much improvement over the 6800's - true?

Whats the best bang for the buck for a good pci-express mobo and a 7800 card? Eventually I will SLI them - but for now this is all I can afford - looking to spend around $500 total.

Thanks!

Last edited: Oct 6, 2005
  2. GuitarScott

GuitarScott Maha Guru

GPU:
    BFG 9800GT 512MB
    just get the 78gt.. i have two in sli and well.. even one runs everything like butter at 12x10

3. Kain

Kain Ancient Guru

7800 GT but it would be a good idea to wait until G72 arrives to see the price drops.

4. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    I wouldn't buy anything right now if I were you. Your PC is still high-end. Your best upgrade right now would be a new soundcard and another gig of ram.

5. Mr.$pecTre

Mr.$pecTre Member Guru

GPU:
    pending
    If EVGA ever rebundles the 7800 GT with a free mobo...then go that route.

6. jerin222

jerin222 Member Guru

GPU:
    eVGA - GeForce 7800GT OC 256MB
    They are no making those anymore.

7. Mr.$pecTre

Mr.$pecTre Member Guru

GPU:
    pending
    Notice the words 'If' and 'ever' in the sentence. I'm fully aware that they're NOT currently bundling them together anymore, but it was a very successful promotion for EVGA...they might do it again.:)

8. gulbane

gulbane Master Guru

GPU:
    eVGA 6600GT 128MB

Yea, soundcards are useless to me. I play with the sound almost completely off due to my wife refusing to listen to any "computer" sounds.

The extra gig of ram would be a good idea - but after reading that on 939 mobos, the extra gig will run in T2 mode as opposed to T1 mode - I lost interest in "slowing" down my PC by adding more ram. (512 x 4 would do this - and I refuse to throw away 1 gig of brand new ram and get a duplicate but in 1 gig x 2 to avoid the T2 problem :()

Waiting is always the recommendation - is there ever a time where folks are suggested to actually spend the money and upgrade - and not wait for the "next" advancement?

Thanks though all!

9. Orlandoe211

Orlandoe211 Guest

I would get a PCI-E mobo, MSI, DFI or GIGABYTE

Then I would get aq 7800GT or stay with your current GPU, its still awesome, but the 7800GT does offer a pretty good performance boost. I noticed a significant boost over my 6800GT

10. gulbane

gulbane Master Guru

GPU:
    eVGA 6600GT 128MB
    I thing I forgot to mention - Im currently using an AGP mobo - hence why I can't keep my current 6800GT.

So I guess I will Ebay my mobo and GPU and pick up a PCI-E and a 7800GT....I can always grab another 78GT in the future I guess too.

Thanks all!

11. Orlandoe211

Orlandoe211 Guest

good idea.... I had to sell my 6800GT AGP too, but I would have regardless. I was gonna get a 2nd 7800GT but I dont wanna have to buy a new PSU too, it would be over $400 if I do that. So Ima Step-Up to the 7800GTX KO in a few months (before 12/01/2005) here because NV i doubt is gonna release any 7800U, but ima wait and see just incase.

12. GenClaymore

GenClaymore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 5700 XT Thic II
    i would say wait til next gen of cards. and go with a sound card so your onboard dont put load on your cpu. wait on the motherboard til the M2 socket comes out.

maybe a pair of better speakers or something. but if you cant wait i would say the 7800GTX and or the DFI Lanparty Ultra-D or SLI-D for SLI if you planing to do that.

but if it was me iwould go with the Ultra-D and mod it. all ultra-Ds can be modded even the Rev 3s. that way you get SATA II and turn it into SLI without spending a lot.

13. Orlandoe211

Orlandoe211 Guest

whats the Socket M2 gonna feature over 939?

14. Xaser04

Xaser04 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2070 Super
    support for ddr2 memory is one of the main features. Im n ot sure of the rest.

Anyway back on subject a 7800gt would be a very nice upgrade.

I have recently purchased a 17" LGtft monitor which is only capable of 1280x1024 in games but I just max out the settings on my sli setup and everything plays like a dream.