Best and worst of decades past.

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by F1refly, Feb 24, 2013.

1. F1refly

F1refly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX-oc edition
    uhm, no. I had both consoles, i knew of every game released in the states. Seriously, Sega didn't compete with SNes games in the 90's like Final Fight, Starfox, Knights of the Round....and SNES had Street Fighter 2 way before there was a version for Genesis which it didn't get until after Championships was released in the Arcades. Sega had nothing that looked as good as Donkey Kong Country, closest was maybe Clay Fighters. Most of the multi plat games had some advantages on SNES versions.

Nothing biased about it, Sega had a good lineup up until after the SNES was released, but their quality fell flat. Sure they had Strider, Devil's Fury and few other gems, but overall fun and the best Arcade conversions were on SNES.

Let's not forget Sega's other fails in the 90's. SegaCD, Sega 32x, Saturn...LOL, really?

2. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    Haha the 32x what a piece of **** that was, definitely the worst hardware ever released in the 90's in my opinion that is if you can even call it a hardware upgrade!

It was purely an inferior stepping stone for the Saturn with much worse performance.

Tbh the Saturn was **** aswell for a 32bit console, The Playstation blew it clean out of the water with ease all by a company who had never ever set foot in the gaming sector of business.

I LoLed at Sega at the time and i LoL now.

The Hardcore Sega loyal Customer base was damaged so much that they never really came back after that, Even the Dreamcast couldnt save them.

Sega.....Once a leading Powerhouse in the Coin-op industry with many innovative and ground breaking titles from Yu Suzuki leading the way for many other developers to only follow in envy.

Unforunately Sega failed to adapt to changing times hence there demise as a Major player in the Coin-op division and were forced to take a back seat where they never actually managed to retake the throne that they once held, even in 2013 they still take a back seat as a publisher and nothing else.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2013
  3. F1refly

F1refly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX-oc edition
    Yeah, they can't seem to take their great classics and bring them forward without ruining them. They keep trying with Sonic and i do finally believe that with Sonic 4 and Generations, imo were the best in many years, but not enough to keep me comming back or anything.
    Yet they could bring back a proper Golden Axe, Space Harrier..etc but it's like they ignore the potential and fanbase they have. With the exception of Sonic All stars Transformed, which was a blast, many of their modern titles feel they lack something i can never put my finger on...like maybe they need to bring in some fresh blood from other countries into the mix or something.

4. IcE

IcE Don Snow Staff Member

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1070 Mini
    I somewhat doubt you "knew of every game released in the U.S." because that's some rain-man type shizz right there. But I respect your opinion. I also prefer the SNES lineup of games. I'm just saying, there was still a lot of nice stuff to be played on the Genesis as well.

5. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Good: Knight Rider
    Bad: Fluoro

6. Jonnyboy

Jonnyboy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA SC GTX 1070
    what makes you think marshal law ever ended? DHS just recent ordered another 4 billion rounds of hollow point rounds and 2,700 armored vehicles for a threat that doesn't exist and is threatening of another 9/11 and wants to restart cispa and violate every ones 4th amendment rights and 5th and calls militias,libertarians,constitutionalists,anti war activists, anti government,and gun owners domestic terrorists. the 90's was a better era then 2000-2013 when this country and world just fell apart by being dependent on government to solve their problems.

7. Penal Stingray

Penal Stingray Banned

GPU:
    GTX 680 Tri-Sli-S27A950
    I used to play with rocks, I hide in a bushes and when someone pass by I throw rocks at em and they run pretty fast too! while I "giggle" behind the bushes.

8. War child

War child Master Guru

GPU:
    Gainward 980Ti SLI
    Ah the 80's

Fantastic summer sun, in the back garden with the old man grilling on a BBQ, and my mother with a great idea for my friends and I. And that was to bring out the huge bulging monster we called a TV into the garden, and play nintendo outside. Back gate leading out into the forest with all our BMX bikes leaning against the wall ready for the great escape into the outdoors.

Can someone please zap me back to the 80's.

9. crushilista

crushilista Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 670
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5pa6SGYWADU <-

People like to color things from the past and only remember the good. Now you are experiencing bad things and long for the old days of the happiness you remember.

10. Dillinger

Dillinger Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 950

Last edited: Mar 8, 2013

11. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    I think the reason why the do it is because Sonic is very very popular and was released at a time when Sega and Nintendo were trying to grab hold of the masses ie: The casual gamer, The children with there cutesy games and cutesy mascots to go with them.

It worked for both companies and i do agree some of Sega's back catalogue of Coin-op games revamped could be fantastic if remade and i dont think they do it because the audience is more hardcore for those types of games ie: The heady hobbyist days.

They can make more money selling Sonic than they can from making a a remake of Quartet or Alien Syndrome etc.

Only the very very popular games get remade/re-released from the Hardcore era because many people will remember them like Outrun and Dragons Lair and even if they dont remember them they woulda heard of them because of how amazing they were.

Thats what i think anyhow, Also Sega cant afford to take risks nowadays as there not the company that they used to be and i dont think they ever will be ever again.

People like the amazing dev Yu Suzuki from Sega's inhouse AM* team are probably retired nowadays enjoying the wealth of video game success.

Tbh i only rated Sega for there Coin-op games, they were a force to be reckoned with as you probably remember churning out quality Coin-op games all the time.

However i did not ever rate there Genesis/Megadrive oe Snes as back then there were much better more powerful computers and consoles out at the time which many of the hardcore owned.

Yeah they had the odd good game here and there like Zelda A link to the past but on the whole they sucked in my opinion.

Megadrives and Snes's were for kids and the games showed that, Not only that the games were dead easy to beat hence being aimed at children.

Any arcade ports were weak conversions of the arcade parent although Mortal Kombat on the Megadrive/Snes was quite a decent conversion just like SF2 on the Snes.

Sony came along and changed all that with there Revolutionary Playstation aiming it at a more mature audience with the games to go along with it.

The rest as they say is History.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2013
  12. F1refly

F1refly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX-oc edition
    I didn't memorize no...i meant i was aware at the time of any new titles released. I had tons and tons of various game mags and lists of new games to be released.
    When i look through the roms list, yes i can remember, either by title or a picture that i had heard about the game in the past even if i had forgotten about it until that point i saw the pic or title.

13. volkov956

volkov956 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 TI
    80s were a flash 90s were the good years...

the 00's are the years I have seen humanity just turn to useless filth, brain dead hordes glued to some kind of tech device, lack of socialization (old fashioned talk face to face), People easily controlled, Loss of more and more rights yea just not the USA.

I hate to see what the future brings when the Tide comes are you ready?