Best Am4 compatible CPU cooler that is 147mm or less tall?

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards AMD' started by Elder III, Mar 8, 2018.

1. Elder III

Elder III Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2 x GTX 1080 Ti 11 GB
    As the title says, what is the best aM4 compatible CPU cooler that is 147mm or less tall? I'm exploring my air vs water cooled options for a Ryzen 1700X that is modestly overclocked. I'm not interested in changing my case or the side fan etc. that I have so if I can't get an air cooler that will be comparable to a 240mm AiO cooler in performance (with my height limit) I will stick with the AiO option.

2. jura11

jura11 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX1080 Ti 1080 FE
    Hi there

I would have look on Cryorig H7, Thermalright True Spirit 120 or Scythe Fuma, they're few others like BeQuiet Dark Rock but still you really want have bigger CPU coolers with 140mm fans something like is Noctua NH-D15 or NH-D15S, Cryorig R1 Ultimate or Universal and True Spirit 140 and few others but these are +/-160mm tall CPU coolers

Hope this helps

Thanks, Jura

3. Elder III

Elder III Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2 x GTX 1080 Ti 11 GB
    That Scythe Fuma looks really good, a dual tower cooler that's "only" 150mm tall is hard to find. I think 150mm would probably just barely fit without hitting the side panel fan. I might need to downgrade the side fan to a 25mm model instead of 30mm, but it might work even with the bigger fan.

In any case, my current 240mm AIO cooler seems to be ok. I thought the pump was dying, but after moving it from the floor across the room and on top of a desk it ran for several hours without any abnormal noise. After putting it back in it's original spot it has been running over 24 hours without abnormal noise. Hopefully that noise was just air bubbles trapped in the loop that were taken care of by moving the case around.

4. jura11

jura11 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX1080 Ti 1080 FE
    Hi there

Scythe Fuma from reviews performs within 1-5°C from best coolers on market, other coolers which I like is Thermalright Macho series, depends on where are you located and availability of the Thermalright I would choose these coolers with Scythe Fuma

What case do you have right now?

Side fans on some cases are counterproductive and can cause higher temperatures...

What is yours current CLC or AIO, I assume you have Corsair and if yes then this known issue with these cooler,how long do you have CLC or AIO?

These air bubbles in CLC or AIO you shouldn't see, in my case few taps on radiator end tanks would "cure" air lock for time being but after that I went back to air with NH-D15 and this has been my best decision

Hope this helps

Thanks, Jura

5. Elder III

Elder III Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2 x GTX 1080 Ti 11 GB
    I have a Thermaltake Overseer case for my main PC. I do have a larger (and better) CoolerMaster HAF 932 Advanced for my secondary PC, but I really don't care to swap all the parts around. I have a pair of GTX 1080 Ti in SLI and adding the side fan as an intake lowered the temperatures by 3+C for the bottom GPU and 5+C for the top GPU.

My current AiO is a CM MasterLiquid Pro 240 (the edition with the revised pump etc). I have had it for close to a year now.

Ever since moving the case across the room and having it run a few hours on top of a desk, and then moving it back to it's original spot it has been quiet. I have not had any unusual noise at all over several days now. I'm keeping a close eye/ear on it, but so far it seems to be fine.

6. jura11

jura11 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX1080 Ti 1080 FE
    Hi there

Regarding the fan positions,have used for while Coolermaster HAF-X which has been one of my best cases, although this case didn't have any kind of the filters due this I don't use or recommend this case, in regards of airflow this case have pretty good if I'm comparing to their newest cases

Yes adding fans on bottom case will help with temperatures on GPU and adding extra fan on top sometimes will not make such a difference, side fan on few cases will make difference on GPUs, I done test with side fan on and off and saw difference only 2°C that's on good old R9 290x between side fan on and off

Regarding the swapping the cases, it depends on few factors, in my case I prefer Phanteks cases or Fractal Design Define series which I use and used, other cases like EVGA DG series are nice as well, have used DG-87 and pretty much this case friend loved and we are build there for friend loop

You will see how you get on and how yours Master Liquid perform etc, but still I would go with air as with air what can fail is fan which is very easy to replace, if AIO or CLC fails then you are screwed as pump is not replaceable like radiators etc

I have custom water loop where I can replace any part when it fails,if you have SLI GPUs plus CPU I would say you will benefit from going with custom water loop

Hope this helps

Thanks, Jura