Best all-around X58 motherboard (expert's opinion please)

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards Intel' started by Answerzz, Feb 11, 2009.

1. Answerzz

Answerzz New Member

GPU:
    Evga GTX 295+
    I'm looking for a good reliable motherboard for my new custom PC I'm building

CPU = i7 920 2.66ghz

GPU = Evga gtx295+ (will do quad-sli in future)

-will use 2gb 3sticks (6 sticks 2gb in future)- haven't bought any yet

OS - Vista home premium 64bit w/ SP1

other thoughts : love playing some latest 1st person shooting games( COD: modern warfare/world at war, to be released COD6 modern warfare 2)
    also do a lot of java programming/designing, run multiple applications..
    use a lot of wireless USB devices (controllers/headsets/bluetooth usb/multiple mouse)

About over-clocking: I'm not an over-clocking freak.. heck I don't even know much about it so I might not be using that unless I learn it completely and feel comfortable doing it. So, over-clocking is not really a concern for me.. though, an easy OC bios setup would be a welcome feature.

That all being said, what x58 mobo will be best suited for me?

My personal choices..

1. EVGA x58 classified (if it's worth around 400canadian dollars)

Back-up options..

1. Gigabyte x58 UD5
    2. BioStar x58 Tpower

If there is/are a better motherboard than the ones I've listed, then, please let me know. And, if the ones I've listed are reliable and do hold significant credibility, then, please let me know, as well.

2. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX1080Ti AMP
    ASUS P6T Deluxe

Comes with more features than a twelve cu*ted hooker named steve.

It overclocks with ease, my mate got his Core i7 to 3.8GHz with 30 idle temp and 56 max temp with amazing improvements in app speed.

3. Answerzz

Answerzz New Member

GPU:
    Evga GTX 295+
    Sure thing mate, I'll definitely look into those.

However, there are 3 different editions for ASUS P6T deluxe..

ASUS P6T deluxe (max. 12GB memory)

ASUS P6T deluxe V2 (max. 24GB memory)

ASUS P6T OC palm (max. 12GB?? memory) some sites claimed max. 24GB, I believe?

I for one would go with the V2 version if I am to buy a deluxe mobo.

4. DSK

DSK Banned

GPU:
    HD5770/BenQ G2220HD
    +1 for any version of the P6T

5. Rancoor

Rancoor Banned

GPU:
    y...
  6. Answerzz

Answerzz New Member

GPU:
    Evga GTX 295+
    There is a slight problem that I would like to know more about concerning P6T mobos..

Asus have substantially warned their customers to not use memory using more than 1.6V or it will burn the mobo down, no joke! So, they recommend to buy 1.5V memory sticks. Okay.. so far, so good.

Now, what I'm confused about is that when people over-clock.. doesn't the volt for their memory increases and exceeds the 1.6V limit?

7. DSK

DSK Banned

GPU:
    HD5770/BenQ G2220HD
    Well not really no with i7 memory its very well made for low voltage overclocking but most will not go over 1.6v.

8. everald

everald Member

GPU:
    SAPHIRE 4870 1GIG
    whats your guys take on the ASUS Rampage II Extreme? it is said to be the best overclocking board on the market now............

9. Psytek

Psytek Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x 260 GTX 216 SLI
    I don't like Asus in general, everyone I know with an asus board has had it fail, I'm gunna get a GA-EX58-UD5 or EX58 extreme, still undecided.

10. DSK

DSK Banned

GPU:
    HD5770/BenQ G2220HD
    Yes it is the best.

11. nicugoalkeper

nicugoalkeper Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 1060 DUAL OC 6GB
    ASUS P6T deluxe V2

12. John

John Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 970
    UD5 is the exact same board without the lollercoaster heatsink for alot less money.

@OP: The EVGA Classified is utterly useless to you if you're not an hardcore overclocker. The board will be of no use whatsoever to you, and the price premium it carries is hideous.

I'd look into the DFI LanParty UT T3eH8. One of the very best overclockers, few bios bugs, excellent build-quality with Volterra fully digital PWM, superb layout and generally an excellent looking board. The price isn''t half bad either.

13. Zer0K3wL

Zer0K3wL Banned

GPU:
    gtx 480 850/1700/2000 h2o
    deluxe does't support tri sli i believe.
    so p6t.

14. Pyro the Dragun

Pyro the Dragun Master Guru

GPU:
    Geforce GT 555M
    +1 Great board all around. Possibly the only component that didn't give me fits when overclocking. And EZ-Clear is a godsend.

15. bokloz

bokloz Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980Ti
    Gigabyte x58 UD5 is the best from the best

16. DaddyD302

DaddyD302 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2080ti FTW3
    Before you set your heart fot that board, let me warn you. The 3rd pci-e is useless for dual cooler gpu. Try as I might I could not get my 260GTX onto it. I was force to use the 2nd pci-e as Gigabyte made a poor choice of putting the 2 front usb port, and firewire port there. They also decided to put the power/reset/HD/speaker port there as well.

I could live without having the front usb and firewire but no way I could get around not crushing the power/reset/HD/speaker port. On my HAF 932, it's impossible. I just ended up putting my Areca 1220 raid controller there and lost a spot for my X-fi Elite as I could not put it on. So far I had much better luck with this board then I did with my last 3 EVGA X58 which all had issues with both my Dominator 1600 and OCZ gold 1600. I could not run the system stable with all 3 rams in. I had 3 in a row bad EVGA X58. The Gigabyte saved me from having a heart attack as I finally found a stable board.

One more thing, the Gigabyte seems to be affected by the cold boot bug. It means when you start it from a coldboot up, it turns on and then turns off and then turns on again. You can read it on newegg's review of the GA-EX58-UD5. I didn't believe it til I saw it myself, and it is kinda scary.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2009
  17. dejo1

dejo1 New Member

GPU:
    bfg 9800gtx+ (2)
    on my giga ud4p it only does it if I unplug the power cord. but the asus p6t does the same thing and I would take the giga over the asus any day

18. GC_PaNzerFIN

GC_PaNzerFIN Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 580 + AC Xtreme
    Asus P6T Deluxe here and I love it!

PS. no dual boot issue here ;)

19. Tat3

Tat3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB GTX 1660 Ti OC
  20. Foes

Foes Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Tri-Sli 260's
    For what its worth Toms picked the MSI board.