1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best AGP without molex

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by rno, Dec 2, 2009.

1. rno

rno Member

GPU:
    ATI Radeon HD 4890 1GB
    Title says it all. What's the best performing ATI AGP card that works without extra molex power?
    I plan to "upgrade" one old Pentium 4 3.0GHz / 2GB RAM PC that has currently Radeon 9600 Pro installed so it can last just a little longer and maybe even play some older games :) Since the PSU is 350W not-so-first-grade then I rather go GPU's that don't require extra juice.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2009
  2. GeoD

GeoD Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070
  3. IPlayNaked

IPlayNaked Banned

GPU:
    XFire 7950 1200/1850
    I don't think any upgrades are worth it. You won't be able to play much more.

And if you're not careful, you could end up spending money for the same performance.

4. rno

rno Member

GPU:
    ATI Radeon HD 4890 1GB
    It's more that sure I won't be able to play any modern games, but replacing my 9600 with bit more powerful card should still provide some improvement.

5. cozee

cozee Master Guru

GPU:
    Inno3d 260GTX x2Freezer
    if u read the review on the first card next to it its got a molex connector,ill quote "Also, the molex power connector is kinda unexpected... as someone else pointed out."
    Its the little white plug with silver pins next to the top left of fan cover..

sorry bud...:bang:

6. Makalu

Makalu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 8800 Ultra

Any card faster than the 9600 Pro is gonna use more power/watts. The reason these low end AGP cards are using a molex connector isn't because the AGP slot can't provide enough "juice"...it's because the modern chipsets run off 12V supply and the AGP slot can only provide 1A of that.

HD4650 needs 2-3A off the 12V...a bit less than the HD3650...and I don't think you will find any AGP cards with lower consumption than those so that's what you need to determine if your PSU can provide. The total wattage increase over the 9600 Pro is only about 12W but the 12V amperage increase is .5A to ~2.5A.

check the label on your PSU for it's 12V amperage...and check the model/brand name while you're at it and I'll tell you what I think about it all...

7. rno

rno Member

GPU:
    ATI Radeon HD 4890 1GB
  8. lee_ann_power

lee_ann_power New Member

GPU:
    MSI GT240 1GDDR5
  9. Makalu

Makalu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 8800 Ultra
    hmm well Codegen PSU's are right down there with some of the worst made...the good news is yours is still working so it made it thru the infant mortality stage. I still wouldn't use it personally and I can't recommend putting more than ~10A on the 12V rail...which is just about what an HD4650 would do in that system. An HD4670 would add another 1-2A.

There's some $30ish PSU's that aren't very good but would be major improvement over the Codegen so I'd consider trying to work that into the budget.

10. rno

rno Member

GPU:
    ATI Radeon HD 4890 1GB
    Yeah, I told in first post that my PSU isn't that "first grade", that is the reason I'm seeking for specific AGP cards, but I guess it wouldn't hurt much to put some lower end video card that doesn't consume so much from 12V rail. I really don't plan to invest into new PSU, because rest of the system is reasonably dated.

11. Makalu

Makalu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 8800 Ultra
    yeah I understand...an AGP card w/o ext. power and faster than 9800pro is gonna put an even heavier total watts load on it than an HD4650 but a lighter load on the 12V rail...

you could buy a couple of wire wound ceramic resistors for a few dollars and see how it handles a similar load...10 ohm and 15W ones would put a 1.2A load on. Two of those would be about the same as an HD3650 or HD4650...three to simulate an HD4670...