Best 7900GT Manufacturer?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by weiran, Mar 21, 2006.

1. weiran

weiran Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900GT 256MB + 2x 19" TFTs
    Hey guys,

I'm looking at getting a new spanking 7900GT, and the Gigabyte model is by far the cheapest I can find (around £230 in the UK). I'm wondering if there are any differences between the Gigabyte one and other models, like the eVGA etc?

Cheers.

2. bug77

bug77 Banned

GPU:
    Palit 8800GT
    Unless it's factory overclocked, there's no difference, they're all reference design. Support might be an issue, but I think Gigabyte is ok.

3. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    yeah, gigabyte is cool... I had a 6600gt from them, excellent card... And now my gigabyte 7900gt is fantastic too, coolbits only allows me to oc it to 540/1600, but there's no artifacts and load temps with stock cooler are about 51-53 C... I'll wait for rivatuner to support 7900gt and then I'll oc it more... I even tried using powerstrip, and got 1800 on my memory, without a problem, but I don't like powerstrip, therefore I don't use it...

Need rivatuner support!!!!

4. Decane

Decane Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1060 6GB
    Well... I am getting an XFX 7900GT XXX Edition which is factory overclocked from the normal 450/1.32 to 560/1.65. The difference isn't huge, but you might want to invest an extra 10£ to get one especially if you're not too keen on overclocking to begin with... And even if you are, I reckon the XFX is a great purchase. :)

One other brand you may want to consider is Evga. I don't personally have any former experience about Evga products, but I've heard many positive things about them.

Hope this helps... :)

5. mascaras

mascaras Active Member

GPU:
    XFX 7900GT Extreme(670/1860)Waterco
    I didnt like XFX before in others series of nvidia but in 7900 series the XFX cards seams to be the best till now

6. sakis213

sakis213 Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia eVGA 8800Gtx
    I think all the manufactures are the same, some give you more speed some other better quality, so each brand have some small benefits,gigabyte is good brand and it's in the market for a long time so trust her:)

7. bbvdd2

bbvdd2 Maha Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 960 WHITE SLI
    XFX differs slightly in some of their 7900GT models (EE, XE, XXX) in that they use Zero Geometric Delta Clock instead of the Reference design of 20. This means the Delta Clock specifies the number of MHz that the geometry portion of the core runs faster than the shaders and ROPS. So the XFX will run both at the same speeds for a slight boost compared to other manufactors using the 20 Delta but same core speeds when delta is applied. Confused yet? Its really not a huge deal but the XFX may give a tad more performance then say a Leadtek or MSI but if you plan to OC anyway it may not be an issue. And you can always try modding the BIOS of any card and eliminate the Delta Clock as well.

I prefer and like the eVGA cards. Their Step-Up program is sweet. If you were to buy a 7900GT from them now and in three months decide to Step-Up to the 7900GTX or another better card that may not be released yet, you get credit for your entire 7900GT purchase towards the 7900GTX. I just upgraded my 7800GT's to 7900GTX for about $150 each.

8. mykemyk2006

mykemyk2006 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070
    evga wins hands down. Overclocked lifetime warranty which covers frying the card from your own overclock. How can anyone buy a card thats not evga?

9. kwak

kwak Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce 560 ti
    all 7900s have the same pcb and everything. the only differences are in clocks, bundle and support.
    i think evga is the best, because they have a killer warranty, covering pretty much everything except for dropping the card about 15 stories.

10. Paulakers2005

Paulakers2005 Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus EN8800GTX Aquatank

------------------------------------

To our customers, yeah this is a really great experience and bargains to step-up their cards. However, to the company, it's getting a lot bad news of receiving their old cards / or mistakenly modded or overclocked faulty cards back, which is up to the accounting since they gotta need to measure the loss of maintenance and the gain of the marketing.

Leadtek, MSI, Gigabyte and Asus are originally Taiwanese Tech companies, and they are really competitive in several aspects. They usually give out the juicy hot PC games to fight for the marketing in North America or in Europe. (They are almost the kings in Asian countries, esp. Hong Kong, Taiwan, and Mainland China already). This time(in 7 series), Leadtek has Seriuos Sam 2 and a racing game; MSI has King Kong; Gigabyte has Serious Sam 2; Asus has many other games I don't remember, which is actually attractive. I used to be stuck into Creative when RivaTNT out, RivaTNT2, then got to Asus GeforceDDR, Geforce2GTS, skipping GF3, waiting for a long period of time to get to Asus Ti4800SE. Skipped GF5, while coming to the USA for college and getting ATi 9800XT. Then got to Leadtek 6800 AGP, 6800U AGP, 6800LE AGP, 6800GT PCIes. Now skipping GF78xx series to trying eVGA's 7900GT. Hope eVGA can give me a nice and wonderful experience.

11. sava700

sava700 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080GTX FWT
    BFG Hands DOWN!! I've heard nothing but issues with both eVGA and XFX on here... people are complaining about all kinds of problems from them..i've had great luck from BFG and I love my two BFG 7900 GTX's :)

12. Nicksterr

Nicksterr Master Guru

GPU:
    eVGA 8800GTS 512
    eVGA...I've never had any problems with their tech support and they are also the only company that has a step-up program!!!

I wouldn't go XFX simply because they pay very little attention to the application of thermal compound on their GPU's. This effects your temperatures and chip life btw :)

13. weiran

weiran Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900GT 256MB + 2x 19" TFTs
    Thanks for the replies.

Price wise, a Gigabyte one is £222.08, but a similarly clocked eVGA is £253.79, or a tenner more for a pre overclocked one.

Is eVGA worth the premium over Gigabyte?

14. bbvdd2

bbvdd2 Maha Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 960 WHITE SLI
    Check the warranties out and compare them. The eVGA has a "lifetime" and they have the Step-Up Program. Gigabyte has neither that I know of. The extra cash is paying for a longer warranty basically.

15. SniperDaws

SniperDaws Banned

GPU:
    XFX7600GTXXX Zalman Vf900
    lmao its a bit of a silly question to ask cos you must of known you were going to get mixed results, Get the Gigabyte 7900GT youll be one happy man! it would be a bit silly to spend an extra 20 just to get a BFG or an eVGA.

16. raging_dragon

raging_dragon Master Guru

GPU:
    Suck
    You forget to mention the step up program only applies to residents of the USA. The original poster is from England so he is ineligible for the step-up program.
    Stick with the Gigabyte card.

17. AstonM

AstonM Active Member

GPU:
    XFX 5850
    AND Canada(represent!)

18. tibbar

tibbar Member Guru

GPU:
    2 x BFG 8800GTX 768MB SLI
    i might come off as defending the two but just stating, this statement is very misinformed.
    i've had 3 evga cards all working perfectly
    it's hard to believe that you've only heard of problems from users. you haven't looked hard enough

19. EVIL-SCOTSMAN

EVIL-SCOTSMAN Member

GPU:
    2 XFX 7800GTX's 256mb SLI
    the step up program is for USA Canada, and Europe, it says on there stepup FAQ on the evga website.

20. adabiviak

adabiviak Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 980Ti
    This might be better served as a poll. I vote for BFG. Lifetime warranty and good customer service is why I choose them. (Good product, of course)