Best 780 GTX Ti for OC?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by bloowhalez, Sep 5, 2014.

1. bloowhalez

bloowhalez Active Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte R9 270
    The cheapest 780 gtx ti is the Asus directcu, at $580 on newegg. It seems to OC well.

The other ones I'm considering are the EVGA Classy and Kingpin. I've seen reviews where the classy oc'ed better than the Kingpin.

I'm trying to get the best 780 gtx ti I can, but if the Asus is 90% as effective I don't think I should price jump to over $700.

So what do?

Bonus question : There are used ones on Amazon. Some people say they only used them for 2 months or so, with no overclock. Should I buy one of those? Can I even return it?

2. bloowhalez

bloowhalez Active Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte R9 270
    for example this review :

http://www.hardwareluxx.com/index.p...a-geforce-gtx-780-ti-classified.html?start=18

shows the classy at 1.31volts and almost 1400mhz core and 1950 memory. Wow. I saw reviews of the Asus (on here, actually,) with a 1200mhz core and slower memory too.

I've seen other reviews that couldn't OC as well, because of temps. I've seen Asus 780 ti's that oc very well.

It seems there is a huge lottery with these. After dozens of reviews I have seen overclocks all over the board. Even the Kingpin seems inferior sometimes.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2014
  3. Darkest

Darkest Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    Nvidia's about to release a new range mate, unless you desperately need a new GPU I'd hang fire.

4. bloowhalez

bloowhalez Active Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte R9 270
    Yea, I'm not buying it until at least Sept 20th. I can wait.

Do you guys think the new 9xx series will be better than a 780 GTX TI? and cheaper?

5. Dorlor

Dorlor Banned

GPU:
    2x evga 780 ti sc acx
    Better is a quite lose term - it will be more power efficient, and run cooler as a result of that. Will it be faster? That remains to be seen, but 980 will likely just be slightly faster than a 780 ti.

And obviously it will be cheaper, as it will be a much smaller midrange chip, with a highend name.

6. clawhamer

clawhamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 780 Classified
    I think it will end up a little cheaper but not much better if at all, lower power ?

For the original question, were you overclocking to game or overclocking to overclock ?

7. ---TK---

---TK--- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    If its the rumored 2560? Cuda core count I expect around 20% improvement over a 780ti.

8. bloowhalez

bloowhalez Active Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte R9 270
    Yea I think a lot of this is going to have to do with the core count. The 780 GTx vs Ti in core count is quite a lot, and thats where the performance comes from.

I'm assuming we will get something in between the Ti and 780 in core count, around 2560 or so.

And there will be a 28xx core count chip, like the Ti, which will run cooler. It seems temperatures hurt the speed a lot with the Ti.

So I will wait and hope. Hopefully I can get 780 GTX Ti performance for $500.

How much do you think the high end chip will cost?

9. bloowhalez

bloowhalez Active Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte R9 270
    Also, I'm overclocking to game. I want the most futureproof card possible. Since I'm already spending almost $2000 on this system, I want the best 780 GTx Ti possible.

I'm going with a core i7 4690k @ 4.7ghz OC, on an Asus Maximus Vii Hero and a Noctua DH-15. Everything high end.

10. idrr

idrr Member

GPU:
    g.skill 32gb
    the evga dual classified is the best choice you can get
    or you can get the kingpin edition but it is must for oc geeks and collectors and for ln2 cooling
    so the best choise is the evga dual classified

advice: wait for next gen gtx 900