Best 2TB drive?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by heads_up, Sep 10, 2010.

1. heads_up

heads_up Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 5770 1GB
    Hey all,

So my external 1tb is full and I want to replace it with a reliable 2tb SATA internal drive.
    What can you guys recommend?

Ps had a quick look at the Seagate ST320005N4A1AS-RK any thoughts?

2. ShadowMyth

ShadowMyth Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GByte GTX 980 G1 Windforc
  3. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    You wont know which is the most reliable until a few years time.
    I have the Samsung HD203WI 2TB drive and its been fine, but that means nothing other than it hasnt died early :)

4. heads_up

heads_up Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 5770 1GB
    Problem is i've never been able to trust WD. I work in a retail store and like 50% of the external WD drives we sell come back within a few months.

But then again some of seagates i've owned crapped out too, can't decide >.<

5. Tat3

Tat3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Ti Super
    How about that Samsung which Mufflore recommended ?

I have 4 Samsung HDD's which are fine, one is about 3 years and rest younger.

6. abula

abula Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX4090 Strix
    If you gona use it in older OS like XP then go for HD203WI, but if you are using it on vista/7 then you should have no problem with the newer 4k clusters drives like WD20EARS or just out Samsung HD204UI. Im buying 4 soon but going in WHS so im probably going to go with HD203WI.

7. fischju

fischju Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Visiontek Radeon HD 4850
  8. ShadowMyth

ShadowMyth Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GByte GTX 980 G1 Windforc
    Well I've had bad experiences with Seagate drives, that's why I went with WD, lol. I've had a WD15EADS for a year with no problems at all so, that's why I went with the WD20EARS. It seems it's a leap of faith to buy any hard drive nowadays. I made a habit of backing the most important info up on DVD+R DL and will be getting a BLu-ray burner sooner than later.

9. Laykun

Laykun Guest

GPU:
    2 x EVGA GTX670 4GB
    Currently sitting ontop of 6 1.5TB WD, can't really complain as I have had no issue with them. To be honest I've had a pretty even amount of Samsung, WD and seagate drivers die on me. If you were to take my subjective view you'd just pick the cheapest and run with it.

10. Zer0K3wL

Zer0K3wL Banned

GPU:
    gtx 480 850/1700/2000 h2o
    i think i got 2 500 gb hdd's from WD more then 3 years old not sure.
    and 1 samsung 1 TB 1 or 2 years old.

tbh cant go wrong with either samsung or WD.

11. sdamaged99

sdamaged99 Guest

GPU:
    Asus TUF 6800XT
    I've got 8 of the Western Digital Caviar Greens in RAID5 and they are very good indeed. Quiet, reliable and get a decent transfer speed as well

12. hallryu

hallryu Don Altobello

GPU:
    2x HD7970
    All Samsung's here F1's and an F3, 1TB's mind. I like em, I like em a lot!

13. TDurden

TDurden Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 390 Nitro
    unless you like to gamble don't buy seagate
    over 30 percent of buyers give large seagate drives a score 1 of 5 on newegg
    they are not reliable

14. _Rnesto

_Rnesto Master Guru

GPU:
    8800GTS 320MB
    can any1 recommend a NAS drive for storing any large hdd?

15. Anubis

Anubis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 760 4GB
    Not a 2tb but still..

I have a Samsung hd154ui 1.5tb drive.. It's cheap, it's cool, not noisy and transfer speeds are good too.

16. abula

abula Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX4090 Strix
    Really depends on what you really looking for, a friend just bought an entry lvl NAS, D-Link DNS-321 $90 and its happy with it, just really slow NAS, if you want something from a better company then check Synology, Synology DS210j $199, but its very slow, in case you want something with bigger capacity and faster transfer then Synology DS411+ $639 (almost went with it), if you want something more like windows environment there are WHS, like ASUS TS Mini $286 or if you want with more drives Acer Aspire easyStore AH342 $429 (this is the one i ordered, coming next week :) ). You can build your own also.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2010
  17. heads_up

heads_up Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 5770 1GB
    After reading your posts and getting advice from friends, looks like WD is the way to go. Thank you all for your opinions and advice. Cheers

18. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    Not to defend Seagate but how reliable is that score?
    Most people happy with a product won't ever set a score, while most of the unhappy people will set a score.

19. TDurden

TDurden Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 390 Nitro
    it may be true, but if you compare the score to HDDs form different manufacturers (Samsung, WD, Hitachi) or even to earlier Seagate models (before 1TB) you will see a difference.
    Also other sources pretty much confirm large Seagate drives have more problems then industry's average.
    Also take notice at the types of problem. Some drives come DOA. That is inconvenient, but at least you don't loose data. But a lot of Seagate drives just seem to die for no reason without much of warning signs if any.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2010
  20. Vood007

Vood007 Master Guru

GPU:
    Too
    If you read the reviews about the WD20EARS its not better. Dead.. Clicking.. and so on. I had a WD20EARS that lasted one week while i never had a dead Seagate. Still my OWN experience do count more than those of others so i went back to Seagate. Anyway a working Backup solution is much more important than a HDDs brand name.