BeQuiet StraightPower 700w PSU

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Nov 14, 2006.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    BeQuiet StraightPower 700w PSUIt's not QueerPower or BentPower it's StraightPowerGuru3D published a review on the BeQuiet StraightPower 700w PSU. BeQuiet is the name given to Listan's range of power...

More...

2. Copey

Copey Ancient Guru

GPU:
    960 2GB
    sound like very nice psu's , noticed wildstyle reviewed this did you not?? where can you get these from in the u.k??

3. WildStyle

WildStyle Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970
    Yes I did and read the last page. :)

4. Copey

Copey Ancient Guru

GPU:
    960 2GB
    ive read the last page but cant see where you can buy from???

unless im being dumb becuase it last and i'm nakerd

5. WildStyle

WildStyle Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970
    First paragraph.

6. Copey

Copey Ancient Guru

GPU:
    960 2GB
  7. WildStyle

WildStyle Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970
    Added that and also another webshop into the conclusion. Cheers.

8. PhilipE

PhilipE Member

GPU:
    XFX 7950GX2 Xtreme Edition
    I have had this psu for a about 3 weeks now, I think its rather good tbh ^^. Just one question, will this psu could run a R600 Crossfire setup?

9. kwak

kwak Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce 560 ti
    i doubt it will be able to do that philip. from everything i heard, its going to draw at least as much as g80, and that needs a 750 at least, preferably better.
    but that is just speculation, you will have to wait for the launch to be sure.

10. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    I got mine yesterday, and have to say WOW about 3 things.

1. Temperature!!! The thing ran for hours yesterday and today, some gaming, some browsing etc and it's been exhausting cold air only!!! It runs incredibly cool, a lot cooler than my old Enermax noisetaker!

2. Noise. What noise? it is very quiet.

3. Looks. Simply stunning! The sleeved cables are very well done too.

The performance I guess is very good, but it's never going to be stretched in my rig. Future upgrades might be coming soon tho.

11. Morpheous416

Morpheous416 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660 Super
    For those of you looking to run Crossfire R600's or SLI G80's....don't waste your time on anything less then a top notch 1Kw.

12. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    Why? You can run a G80 SLI setup on a range of 750W PSUs... And I bet that even a 700W PSU would suffice...

13. Morpheous416

GPU:
    GTX 1660 Super

Why? Simple. You really shouldn't build a system with a "sufficient" power supply. Give yourself the power where it's needed.

If the G80 core (just one) manages to consume 350w of power when running full bore, then you add another one...you can assume you're using 700w's of power right?

What are the other components in the system going to use?

You still have your fans, motherboard, CPU, memory, hard drives, PCI peripherals, CD/DVD drives ...etc to take into consideration.

Also keep in mind that no power supply will never max out it's full rated capacity.

A well respected 1Kw PSU isn't really that much more in price these days...it's just my opinion you'd be better off having the power and not need it,....then not having it and do.

14. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    That's stretching it way too far. G80 by far does not use 350 Watts. In fact .. two in SLI at a high peak "maybe" do 350 Watts. So although a KiloWatt PSU is damn fine and recommended .. a 700 Watts like the BeSilent version is plenty for current and near future high-end configurations.

15. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    Thanks Hilbert.

16. Morpheous416

GPU:
    GTX 1660 Super
    I've taken into consideration, the quality of the information set here by you Hilbert and combine that with the multitude of those that come here that (unlike your test machines) tend to have more in them when they go to SLI...or worse :p Quad SLI!!

The test machine you noted used around 363 total correct? SLI used up near 512...but, you only tested the total wattage output using one raptor drive, one DVD rom drive. Most of the fanatics are going to have RAID configs, X-FI PCI sound cards...most likely dual burners which are going to pull more power.

I figure if you're going for broke on these cards....why pass on the op to buy into 1Kw? I just believe that you should have it if you need it.

And yeah...I agree with you on the article...the power consumption of PC's is getting to the point of being ridiculous. Specially seeing as the power's being consumed playing games more then it is leaving the machines running to help crunch numbers for cancer research or S.E.T.I.