BenQ EW2775ZH VA Full HD monitor

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Apr 7, 2016.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    BenQ is set to release another Full HD display, VA based with a 27 inch 1920x1080 FHD resolution. The screen promises a strong 3000:1 Native Contrast Ratio....

BenQ EW2775ZH VA Full HD monitor

2. hapkiman

hapkiman Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080Ti Gaming X
    A 1920 x 1080 monitor @ 60Hz?

Hey BenQ, 2010 called and wants their monitor back.

:sleep2:

3. signex

signex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Ti
    Pretty sure it can OC easily to 75hz or higher, i got mine at 79hz@BenQ GW2760HE

It has an amazing response time too, in my experience when you OC a monitor you can notice input lag sometimes but not the issue for me.

4. Irenicus

Irenicus Master Guru

GPU:
    1070Ti OC
    While I thought it funny to see this article (thinking it's not very newsworthy), you realise the majority of people still use 60hz monitors? We're not all rich you know ;) Here in Australia at least, things are very expensive, technology being no exception

5. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

Also this monitor is aimed at a different market. I would much rather have one of these monitors than those cheap Korean monitors that people get with a higher resolution. I've had comments from a couple of people who have them about my monitor, and after using my monitor for a hour or two they actually prefer mine... which is basically an older version of the monitor in this article.

The other thing to consider is that this is aimed at the mainstream market. Anything higher than 1920x1080 still is NOT mainstream. It needs to be cost effective but also be of high quality and high quality picture, and for that, they've achieved. For a TYPICAL home user, not a more enthusiast orientated market like you see on this website, this monitor and the other related monitors from BenQ are ideal.

People really need to get over the attitude of 'anything less than 1440P or whatever is crap'. It's attitudes like this that will just drive more people to playing consoles. You don't hear a typical console users whining about the low resolution or frame rates of their games. Guess what? They only had to pay for the console, most already have their 'monitor'. 1920x1080 PC gaming is superior to console gaming, but what puts people off is the extra price of the hardware required. Going around insisting on 1440P+ 120 Hz monitors, and then the appropriate hardware to drive this (without dropping the quality settings like some idiots do and think it's the schizz), isn't going to encourage people to shift to PC gaming.

A couple of things about refresh rates and monitors. I would rather have a good VA panel at 60 Hz than a TN panel at 120/144 Hz. I would also prefer a good VA panel versus a cheap IPS Korean 'panel lottery' monitor that maybe can do 100 Hz, but possibly has backlight bleed, non-black blacks, colour uniformity issues, slow response times, or unintended blurring on fast motion scenes when displaying at the 120 Hz etc. Not to mention eye strain after 6 hours of gaming on those monitors because of the PWM backlight.

BenQ monitors like this are aimed at providing the best monitor for a great price, and overall I think they've achieved this with the best value for money monitors that don't compromise on quality. The last point is important because most of those 'better' monitors do make compromises elsewhere, and if they don't make these compromises they cost as much as some people spend on their whole rig.

In other words, to get good quality, non-compromise gaming at above 1080P with a higher than 60 Hz refresh, you have to spend considerably more on not only the monitor, but supporting hardware. For the typical person, these extra costs aren't justifiable. If people say it is necessary and all the crud like hapkiman was spinning, people will just think 'why the F would I want to spend so much money on a PC when I can get a console for a fraction of the price'. This is especially true when you consider that the same people insisting on higher than 1080P at 120+Hz are the same people who whinge that all games are console ports.

One the mainstream video cards can happily do 1440P or higher, and monitor technology because more cost effective, we will probably start to see high quality, value for money monitors for around the same price or not too much more than these monitors. These monitors will likely cost around US$210, give or take. Even if it is US$240, I still see it as a good buy.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 8, 2016
  6. UltraWifiDvdCD

UltraWifiDvdCD Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080 SLI/ 8 GB
    All I hear is you trying to justify your peasantry and the peasantry of others. 1080p is for mouth-breathers who don't know any bettter.

7. SHOCKTRUPPEN

SHOCKTRUPPEN Banned

GPU:
    GTX 980 Strix
    You obviously breath through your ass because you are talking out of it.:puke2:

8. SHOCKTRUPPEN

SHOCKTRUPPEN Banned

GPU:
    GTX 980 Strix
    xcellent point!

Here here!!! Also throw in Freesync, G-sync, the kitchen sink and it really gets off putting for monitor buyers.

9. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

Not everyone can justify spending money on three Nvidia Titans, a 1600 W power supply, and all the supporting hardware, just so they can play console ports at 1440P instead of 1080P. I wouldn't be surprised if you're running TN panels with that system :3eyes:.

In any case, besides the fact you are trolling, there's also the question of whether your system is real or whether you are BS'ing. I very highly suspect it's the latter. So, what kind of system are you really running? And if you are running that BS sounding system, WTF do you have three Titans? You may consider my system a peasant system, but I just call what you've done stupid :infinity:.

Back to everyone else, most people still by 1080P, so why would BenQ and other manufacturers focus on 1440P and higher monitors? When such time that the market focus shifts, especially with the new GPU's coming out (looks like those three Titans will soon be the dog's breakfast ;)), then manufacturers will adapt to these changes. Some may not if they have bad management, as does happen in some companies anywhere in the world, but in this case there is no excuse as the market is pretty simple. When this happens the price of 1440P monitors, or wherever the focus shifts, will substantially come down in price.

For the ~US$200-$300 market segment this is a great monitor. Seems people are thinking everyone should by a Bugatti Veyron, when a Audi S8 will do :).

10. RavenMaster

RavenMaster Maha Guru

GPU:
    1x RTX 3080 FE
    Even so, u can get a 1080p 120hz monitor quite cheap nowadays.

11. rm082e

rm082e Master Guru

GPU:
    3080 - QHD@165hz
    I had a BenQ FHD 27" VA a couple of years ago and moved to one of their 27" QHD IPS panels as an upgrade. I gave the VA monitor to my wife for her PC.

While the higher resolution is certainly worth it overall, I was really disappointed by the black levels on the IPS. Walking around in the crypts in Dark Souls 2 was a lot harder to see what was going on. It's like a mini rainbow in my face and I felt like I had to squint to cut through it.

My hope is that I can find a 32" 4K VA panel in a few years when it's time to upgrade again. I would take a 60hz VA panel over a 144hz IPS any day of the week.

12. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    the majority of people still use 1080p and 60hz, only people that care about 120hz and 1440p+ mosty enthusiast which are minority, sorta like the SLI people.

I would buy another 1080p monitor just not 27" if my current one died

Last edited: Apr 9, 2016
  13. Stormyandcold

Stormyandcold Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3080ti Founders
    UltraWifiDvdCD you seem to live in cuckoo land tbh.

14. Raider0001

Raider0001 Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 7900 XTX Nitro+
    I just bought 1080p 75Hz Freesync 27" 1ms TN, and now i will never go back to 60Hz no variable sync rubbish. The advantage of it is so awesome, freesync range gives u ability to literally increase details in games with no drop in smoothness, from now on I can just enable AA for free, does not matter if frame rate drops -10FPS if it is still in the range of the monitor. There are multiple other factors that makes it awesome too but the topic is about AMVA+ with combination of 1080p - is that any kind of a PRO ? Who needs super ultra color accuracy with low resolution ? It surely is not for gamers...

every single one of the LCDs I have ever had never OCed at all, all of them drooped frames badly after +1,+2 Hz more

Last edited: Feb 21, 2017
  15. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    Hey hapkiman, 2017 called and wants this monitor for office.

16. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

I think the very second you have to reduce in game settings to maintain the frame rates you want with 1440P and better than 60 fps, you're defeating the purpose. The future of PC gaming aren't systems that costs thousands of dollars, its the mainstream computers that is in the reach of a considerable number more PC gamers, and this is where monitor manufacturers are targetting their sales. No point making a fancy 1440P 144 Hz VA panel (for example) curved HDR with Freesync 2, that would be awesone, but hardly anyone can justify affording... well, apart from those who have/had 3xTitans, but then they'd be moaning that they didn't have G-Stync.

It will be interesting when Freesync 2 monitors (along with HDR compatible Gsync monitors) do become available whether they will go more for 1440P now that there are decent CPU's at great prices (Ryzen) and Vega series on the way. It may give the market the push to make the price of 1440P monitors more competitive. By then the non-1440P whingers will start to focus on whinging that the monitors aren't curved.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 22, 2017
  17. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    Just don't stretch the e-pen*s too much, I hear it's difficult to reattach. Attitudes like these are cancer and the main reason that PC gaming is still a niche.

Exactly this. And the original post made sense. I am also an advocate of the "proper" 1080p60 monitor. TN panels are simply horrible. The only true upgrade (for my usage) to a properly calibrated 1080p60 monitor with good electronics (who knew that good DELL monitors have actually less input lag than the usual 1ms crap in a ton of "gaming" monitors), is something OLED/AMOLED HDR at 1440p with a Freesync/Gsync range of 25-75. Not huge enough to be completely jarring (how can people play with FPS fluctuating between 30-144 I will never understand), new display tech with perfect contrast and a small bump in resolution.

That will never happen due to NVIDIA duchebaggery, so it will most likely have to be a Freesync monitor.

18. Raider0001

Raider0001 Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 7900 XTX Nitro+
    TNs are still good enough for gamers, I really do not care that the colors on the sides (when 1 color background is used) switch a bit, u cant see that in games, mine is using 8bpc, its bright, its saturated (well i boosted saturation 10 years ago) its fast and silky smooth and did not cost me my liver. I did have IPSs and VAs and TNs (TNs that were stolen from a TV - horrible) but this one ? iiyama g-master is very good indeed I love it and I consider this upgrade a better one than replacing any single graphic card from the last 10 years I have been replacing (ok maybe not 10 years exactly, it was Elsa Erazor X that got my attention so much).

Last edited: Feb 23, 2017
  19. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Tell it to 240Hz. And then you should consider your words from human perspective and behave yourself. And btw. Many 1080p screens cost more than 4k/1440p screens.
    - - - -
    As for the monitor. It is bit expensive for what it does. Acer has 144Hz VA +
    Freesync screen which costs only 50% more. That one looks cheap in comparison to this.
    (Which makes me happy, because years back when I got my screen, it did cost more, had only 120Hz, apparently no Freesync, TN panel, and BenQ's bad color representation.)

At time there were like 8~10 screens with similar parameters, today there are hundreds of great gaming screens.
    - - - -
    This screen would probably be OK if it came with default 75/85Hz. And I am sure there will be many people who will be happy with it, as TN technology should slowly fade away.

20. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    I certainly like having gone from 1920x1200 to 2560x1440 and 16:9 isn't too much of a change from 16:10 though as a bonus now avoid that annoying black-bar stuff most games tend to do aspect correction via for 16:10 and others though on the other hand there's a pretty noticeable performance impact especially in newer games and VRAM usage went up by a fair bit too.

Going to 120hz would be nice but there's no way I'm going to be able to run any relatively modern game at 120 FPS without dropping down a ton of other settings so for now 60 Hz is OK even if higher is better. :D
    (Hitting 60 FPS is difficult as is though, even 30 can be a problem in the newest games unless you drop a number of graphical settings before dropping the actual display resolution.)

SLI and Crossfire certainly have a market but it'd be awesome if they weren't so bound by GPU driver profiles and "hacks" for full scaling and then there's display artifacts and other problems though hopefully this will improve over time.

Well the tech has only been around for a bit over 10 years now so heh well early-multi GPU was a bit of a interesting implementation too I guess compared to now what with multiple cables and slave/master GPU configs so there's been some improvements but D3D12 and Vulkan doesn't seem to have limited the need for display driver dependent profiles and other GPU tweaks and there's only a handful of games using D3D12 and even fewer using Vulkan as of now but that too might improve with time. :D

Heard VA panels have some really nice black levels and colors though it's not a full replacement for current IPS and it's different versions nor has OLED and what else fully replaced the existing LCD lighting or how it's called and aside form price there's other drawbacks too but I guess time will once again slowly see this improve.

2560x1440 and above at more than 60 FPS will always be a problem though, I don't see that changing let alone the prices of GPU's needed for these resolutions while maintaining a somewhat playable performance though the 1080 is a pretty nice little powerhouse so there's at least a chance.
    (Far as performance is concerned at least, less so with pricing I suspect so it'll be interesting to see what Nvidia announces for that 1080Ti GPU and then AMD with their 500 VEGA or whatever it'll be named, AMD Furious? :p Eh I guess Fury 2 or Fury Pro does work too.)

EDIT: Oh and yeah native 10-bit+ display panels too for HDR and what not, technically I guess 12-bit or even 16 is recommended for that effect and 10-bit native panels are expensive as is already.
    (This current one I'm using is a 8+2 or FRC dithering or how it was called, not really comparable to the real deal though the previous one was a 6+2 so that's a improvement at least.)