Benchmarks and CPU-Z Screenshots AMD Ryzen Threadripper 2990X with 32-core Surface

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jun 19, 2018.

1. BigMaMaInHouse

BigMaMaInHouse Guest

GPU:
    Zotac 1080Ti AMP Ex
    Why would it cannibalize EPYC sales? it's not like AMD is charging 10K for the top 32 core CPU, the final price will be close+ there could be many option that only supported on EPYC CPU's, plus EPYC advantage is from going 7nm in few month so 32 core TR2 should not cannibalize EPYC.
    https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16819113470

P.S: Let's assume AMD will make that option- whats the performance advantage on ~3.4Ghz all core CPU with ~3000+Mhz memory? and how Intel gonna be forced to react?

2. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    Why wouldn't it cannibalize Epyc sales if they added 8-channel memory? Here's the biggest differences between the product lineups:
    * TR is cheaper
    * TR has 64 PCIe lanes, which is plenty, even in many server environments
    * TR can clock higher
    * TR has cheaper motherboards
    * TR will eventually get the 7nm treatment
    * Both platforms offer features like ECC and full RAID support (unlike i9 vs Xeon)

So, what makes Epyc better in a way that is relevant to everyone seeking these high-core CPUs? The amount of memory channels. All of the other benefits of Epyc are either too niche (such as the additional PCIe lanes) or too expensive (such as the multi-socket support). That being said, the 2990X has 4 memory channels either because the socket electrically cannot handle more, or, because it'll affect Epyc sales.

airbud7 likes this.
  3. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    I'm a little confused by this difference...are you implying that Epyc will not get new processors when 7nm processors are released?

4. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    No, I'm saying that despite Epyc getting the 7nm treatment first, TR will eventually get it too.

5. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Ah

Well i will say i did a little research while looking up 7nm and EPYC, and during that research i found out that EPYC is skipping 12nm and Zen+....which is interesting, because EPYC and Threadripper are the same aside from quad channel memory and various other things, so.....it's not like they couldn't have product for EPYC, they are simply keeping it all for threadripper...interesting...

This isn't necessarily in regards to what you have been saying here, just something i found...interesting?

6. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    Yeah I remember hearing about this. I think it's a smart idea. Zen+ and 12nm probably weren't worth spending the time and money for Epyc. It wouldn't surprise me if the 32 core TRs were originally supposed to be Epycs but AMD was like "nah not worth it".
    Meanwhile Zen 2 on 7nm might be a necessity for those whopping 64c/128t models they intend to release. At this point, not only is that a major threat to Intel, but they're encroaching on the thread count for PPC too.

BTW I forgot to mention in your other reply to me about pricing - I think you might be right. I forgot how there was a much cheaper single-socket 32-core Epyc. So yeah, I think the 32-core TRs might be around $1500.

Aura89 likes this.