Beloved 4AGE Toyota ill...

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by mythor20, Aug 19, 2011.

1. scoter man1

scoter man1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070ti
    Ah, I see. I guess my issue occurs during that month of january where its -10°F or less with the windchill every day. So it probably is somethin else... :nerd:

2. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    Hah, youd think so. My car had a clogged one and it would do a most peculiar thing - It would run shoddy on some random starts, smooth out after a few minutes, then stall. Then never have a problem until another day.

3. mythor20

mythor20 Active Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte 7950GX2
    Hi folks,

Thank you to the kind people that have posted further comments/advice!

Just an update for now...

I purchased 2 bottles of Wynn's Fuel Injector Cleaner and promptly poured the contents into my almost full (50 liter) petrol tank, this is double the recommended dose but I did this to clean off all unwanted deposits due to the very short trips between work and home (appr.1,7Km's)

I drove about 250Km's today to a location away from the city, not even knowing if the car would get me there and back haha. This is the longest trip my baby has done in years!

But it gave no issues at all, this does not signify the end of the trouble, I will only know when I go to work on Monday or any experiences I might have tomorrow during the day.

I was impressed when I did stop halfway for a quick bite, I ate in the car for about 15 minutes if that. The engine started thereafter with no symptoms and also felt so much smoother revving (in my mind maybe), so far so good...

I will keep you posted but I do have a good feeling about this.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2011
  4. Gazebo

Gazebo Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 4070
    Post some pictures of your baby (car I mean..)

5. DerSchniffles

DerSchniffles Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3080Ti
    Seafoam the crap out of it. That stuff has helped me out with a few different cars that had problems like what you are describing. Put a whole can in your gas tank (when its empty, and then fill up) put half a can in your oil crankcase about 100-200 miles before your next oil change and then run some through your brake booster line. All of that will give your car a good overall clean.

6. morbias

morbias Don TazeMeBro

GPU:
    -
    Seafoam might not be a good idea on a car with 215000 miles on the clock, clearing all the crap out could cause it to start burning oil.

7. Athlonite

Athlonite Maha Guru

GPU:
    Pulse RX5700 8GB
    there's 5 things that'll help
    1: Clean the injectors
    2: Clean the Air filter
    3: Change your oil regularly (don't use cheap ****ty noname oil)
    4: Clean and gap you Spark plugs or replace them with platinum tipped ones (they last longer)
    5: Every now and then go for a long drive (helps burn of carbon deposits)

And yes I own a rolla one of the last made in NZ before the factory here closed it's doors it's a limited edition Toyota Corolla Challenger (92) designed for the 92 Americas cup challenge

Last edited: Aug 21, 2011
  8. Jkhan

Jkhan Guest

Can you post pics of your car's engine. That will give us much clearer picture of what the actual problem really is. Also, do you have something similar to this ?

[​IMG]

9. mythor20

mythor20 Active Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte 7950GX2
    Hi all,

I will post pics soon, I must say that the problem is about 60% better since I drove for about 260Km's but needs a much longer drive to clean out everything, is there a cheaper way rather than driving for 600Km's?

I know the spark plugs must be replaced, I have them but I do not have a torque wrench, I many years ago snapped a plug clean off the cylinder head trying to remove it, it was tight as hell, I had tightened it too much putting it in , in the last service. Before i get a clever remark telling me how easy it is, my plugs are deep within the head as it is a DOHC engine. Everytime I go to a spares shop they do not have a torque wrench or an affordable one available!

Due to this I take my car to a mechanic I trust but he is so far away. My brakes need replacing, this I can do but only the front brake pads. The rear has drums! I tried to replace the shoes many years ago and did so but could not get the springs on properly to tighten them up accordingly.

Until next time...

Last edited: Aug 27, 2011
  10. morbias

morbias Don TazeMeBro

GPU:
    -
    It's easier to assemble the springs and shoes off the car first, then put them on together. If you do that then all you have to worry about are the hold down springs which are a piece of cake.

11. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    Well other than fuel injected engines have a butterfly valve on the intake throttle body.
    ha ha Peace man.

12. mythor20

mythor20 Active Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte 7950GX2
    Hi all, sorry to have been so quiet lately.

My misfiring problems became much worse, even starting in the mornings and during normal driving I had issues. Eventually it could not be driven easily.

It was all due to my original HT leads (spark plug leads) still being on the car, the car is now 22 years old! I have checked the workshop manual and I could not find any suggestions to have them replaced ever...

I purchased the originals (almost) from Toyota for about $90, R773 in my currency thereabouts. Quit a bit of money but money well spent as my engine now idles perfectly as new and runs flawlessly (after doing about 360 000Kms!!)

I have not posted a pic because I am embarrassed how dirty my vehicle is, it was washed with washing powder by cockroaches somewhere, sometime. I now have a big job on my hands to remove all old traces of dirt stains and to polish the car.

I will post a pic of my baby once she is in showroom shine condition!

13. Bilderberg

Bilderberg Guest

GPU:
    XFX HD6870 @ 1ghz
    Yup, wires will do that. One of the few times a "tune up" will fix a drivability problem. To bad I missed this thread.

14. Athlonite

Athlonite Maha Guru

GPU:
    Pulse RX5700 8GB
    glad to hear it was just a simple fix

15. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    No offense or anything but I don't think anyone here wants to see pictures of a 22 year old Toyota.

16. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    ROFL...omg I almost spilt coffee on my keyboard :giggle2:

Last edited: Nov 16, 2011
  17. mythor20

mythor20 Active Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte 7950GX2
    Such a pity you didn't!

18. mythor20

mythor20 Active Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte 7950GX2
    pillmonster, as you can clearly see I was asked for a photo otherwise I would have not have thought of posting one here, I don't know why I waste my time trying to defend myself though. Quite a waste of my time as you are just a smart-ass.

19. malky

malky Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2080
    I'd like to see pictures as well, I think we share the same passion for our vehicles, do you name your cars too?

20. Athlonite

Athlonite Maha Guru

GPU:
    Pulse RX5700 8GB
    Yeah I own one of the last ones built in NZ before Toyota shut down the factory so Post a pic for us to see

mines a limited ed Challenger bought out for the 92 Americas cup