Beige Box Makeover

Discussion in 'Die-hard Overclocking & Case Modifications' started by Technochicken, Aug 6, 2009.

1. Technochicken

Technochicken Active Member

GPU:
    9800 GTX+, 8500gt
    Finally I've been able to get some more work done. I redid the hard drive bays, because I was unhappy with them, and clear-coated the front panel.

I made the hard drive cage out of an extra cage from a Power Mac G4 MDD I just got. They fit in just under the optical drive, os now there is plenty of space next to the motherboard for better airflow, or a massive GPU- if I can ever afford one.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    This area needs to be repainted:
    [​IMG]

Now for the front panel:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The polyurethane brought out the color of the darker wood. In the first two pics, I have not coated the CD cover, that's why it is so dull.

2. bp9801

bp9801 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    BFG 8800 GTX
    Its coming along real nice though. I like the new hard drive cage for it, makes it much easier to use that instead of the old one. Though now you'll need something else if you increase the storage size. :p Will you be doing something to tell the power and reset buttons apart, like an engraving or something or just have them how they are? Also, will you be adding some support structure for the power supply to sit on? I can't remember if you said so, but I just think it doesn't look that strong up top for one to sit.. or much to sit on.

It looks really good though, I'm definitely liking it and will be placing an order real soon. :p

3. Technochicken

GPU:
    9800 GTX+, 8500gt
    Yes, I like the hard drive cage much better. All I have to do to remove the entire cage is take out 2 screws, then it just slides out. I already have 820 gigs of internal + another 500 external, so I think I'm fine storage wise :p

I'm not really sure about the PSU, but It will probably need some more support. As of now, I'm not actually sure what hardware I'm going to put in there. I might actually throw in my old Pentium D system once I upgrade my video card, because all I would need then is a hard drive and some ram.

I don't think I'm going to do anything to differentiate between the buttons. I don't think it will be to hard to remember which is which.

4. masterchiefx2

masterchiefx2 Banned

GPU:
    GTX 280 Sli
    looking good, very unique.

5. Technochicken

GPU:
    9800 GTX+, 8500gt
    I've finally had some time and warm weather to work on this, so I've done a few coats of paint on the outside:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. Mike Z

Mike Z Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 670
    That's cool, man.

7. bp9801

bp9801 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    BFG 8800 GTX
    Yeah, thats looking really good so far. Will you do another layer of paint with some green for the leaves or just leave it at the brown? Either way, its pretty damn good looking.

8. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Impressive..

Btw I have that exact same system in my garage.......

9. Technochicken

GPU:
    9800 GTX+, 8500gt
    At this point I probably will not have another warm day to work on it for a couple months, so I have plenty of time to figure out the paint. It looks fine like it is, but it's a bit boring in my opinion. If I had an airbrush I would definitely do more, but for now this is it for painting.

10. Technochicken

GPU:
    9800 GTX+, 8500gt
    I've actually made some progress! This is for bp9801, as he's been wondering about color since the very beginning :)

Lots of choices for colors:
    [​IMG]

Ready to go:
    [​IMG]

Panel mostly done:
    [​IMG]

bottom corner:
    [​IMG]

I also did some of the top:
    [​IMG]

Together:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thanks for looking! I hope to have more soon.

11. HBrown140

HBrown140 Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX-285 2GB in SLi
    That is TRULY some great work.Can't wait to see the complete project. Keep it up.

12. Alec**

Alec** Maha Guru

GPU:
    Saphire 5850 1GB H²0
    Interesting use of materials and design in this project Technochicken ... looking forward to seeing the end result!