Be aware of Western Digital Ultra Star Line Sleep timer

Discussion in 'SSD and HDD storage' started by NAMEk, Jun 4, 2019.

1. NAMEk

NAMEk Master Guru

GPU:
    Gainward/GTX560/2GB
    I use windows 7. I use raid 5. In every single place power saving is turned off. Windows and driver settings alike, unless there are settings I'm not aware off. You assume I'm inexperienced person, I work with computers for a very very long time. And I could create script to write and delete some random file every 5mins, it would work as a workaround. Problem is these drives shouldn't have idle timer in a first place.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2019
  2. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Clearly people who know more about mechanical drives than you decided otherwise.

3. NAMEk

NAMEk Master Guru

GPU:
    Gainward/GTX560/2GB
    Oh? You should walk away from this topic, as I try to do good for a community informing about the issue and you only write useless posts, without backing up your words.

4. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Try Fear mongering and virtue signalling.

5. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 390/GTX1070M
    I think the point he is trying to make is that if you know he's wrong about something, please explain it to him. I get the feeling that he's truly interested in learning if given the opportunity. Instead of just telling him he's wrong without explanation, which would infuriate anyone.

6. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2070 XC Ultra
    He did give him an explanation. Astyanax thinks he's wrong because a company made this decision. It's bad reasoning. This is the second time I've seen him jump down someone's throat, the first time a moderator was involved and he was given the benefit of the doubt. I'm not doing that this time.

7. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    its a 10 minute timer, worrying about it is pedantic and stupid.

Make an issue over it if its 8 seconds, not 600.

Op isn't a mechanical drive designer, he has no valid reasoning for making an issue out of the drives idle spin time (which all drives have) when competitors are using 30 second idle timers.

If he had an interest in learning he'd partake in self study and exercise his capacity to google search.

All drives have an IDLE head park timer, 10 minutes is extremely generous compared to other vendors.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2019
  8. SweenJM

SweenJM Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 590 nitro
    I have 12 - 8TB Western Digital DC HC320 (ultrastar pattern, Manufacture date 18 March 2019) running in NVR 24/7 for nearly 2 months now....no trouble with these drives whatsoever. I am not aware of any modern drives that do not have idle timers.

9. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    @NAMEk

If your goal was to attract attention you have succeeded.
    Don`t worry about responses in your thread.

PS If your rig is on Win7 have you installed Intel RST drivers (or AMD ones)? I have impression that OEM drivers are better for Win7.

10. NAMEk

NAMEk Master Guru

GPU:
    Gainward/GTX560/2GB
    Well my thread was purely informative, to make people aware of the timer, I have no idea why would anyone defend the corporate. My old drives didn't have the timer, they were on raid 0, which I considered too risky and they started to make weird noise, so I instantly bought the best, or as I thought, mechanical drives on the market.
    Yes I use Intel RST, because I'm on RAID 5.