BC2 freeze not afterburner/punkbuster related?

Discussion in 'MSI AfterBurner Application Development Forum' started by onthemour, Apr 12, 2011.

1. onthemour

onthemour Active Member

GPU:
    780 acx
    Has anyone noticed its ok in dx10? I freeze and crash in dx11 but not in dx10 so if its punkbuster why does it discriminate between dx versions?

2. msi-afterburner

msi-afterburner Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI N275GTX Lightning
  3. king-dubs

king-dubs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TITAN X (Pascal) + X34
    I found the following workarounds:

When playing multiplayer of Punkbuster game (like BC2):
    PAUSE monitoring (Right-click in the monitoring section of Afterburner, click Pause)

or

Close Afterburner and make sure neither the main program nor any OSD programs are running.

Of these two workarounds I found, I prefer the first one. Not sure if it affects user-defined fan profiles since I haven't used those for a while (been using a modded BIOS with modded fan profile). But it's preferable over not being able to overclock the way you would like. Both methods work and do not cause BSODs / hard freezes.

And then after the MP session, resume monitoring in Afterburner (or relaunch Afterburner).

4. onthemour

onthemour Active Member

GPU:
    780 acx
    If punkbuster is scanning memory usage for programs and crashing the game then why does punkbuster stop scanning in dx10 mode?

I can play forever in dx10 with any app running ie afterburner, smartdoctor, trixx and punkbuster does not crash my game! The moment I play dx11 it crashes. Other people are reporting this also. The 69xx/afterburner/freeze issue does not seem to be a punkbuster issue anymore. The new suspect is EA

5. king-dubs

king-dubs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TITAN X (Pascal) + X34
    Does doing the workaround I specified solve your problem?

6. boogieman

boogieman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080X
    I just played about 6 minutes of BFBC2 with DX10 RTSS running showing FPS using Rivatuner. No kick. Umm. Maybe it has a different Stealth technique.

I also notice, or at least I don't know how, to add text in a console while in game. I was going to try PB_Sleep XXX but didn't need it.

7. onthemour

onthemour Active Member

GPU:
    780 acx
    I hope to get to the bottom of this. I have been talking to EA and now I got this

Scott: I have escalated your ticket to our highest support staff. to be reviewed. The Tier-3 support requires 48-72 business hours to respond to all tickets.

8. onthemour

onthemour Active Member

GPU:
    780 acx
    nope does not work

9. velocityx

velocityx Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 Ti FE - EK FCB
    I started using stealth mode in OSD server (just under app detection level) and my bc2 stopped freezing since.

which is weird because the guy in the quoted link says stealth mode wont help, but whatever really, I havent had a hard lockup since two days now.

10. Blitz6804

Blitz6804 Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 780 @ 1020/1502
    I had stealth mode on (always have had it on) and I would still lock. I rolled back to an earlier version of Punkbuster (now on version 2.158 instead of 2.263), and I no longer have a problem. And yes, you can still play online with that one.

11. onthemour

onthemour Active Member

GPU:
    780 acx
    how do you roll back?

12. Blitz6804

Blitz6804 Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 780 @ 1020/1502
    I deleted my \Battlefield Bad Company 2\pb folder, and had a friend with the older version send me a copy of his. Shoot me a PM, I can email you a copy of the 7z.

13. onthemour

onthemour Active Member

GPU:
    780 acx
    IT WORKS! Everyone use the old pb files

14. velocityx

velocityx Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 Ti FE - EK FCB
    what are the names of the files? because I have a couple there old and new

15. Blitz6804

Blitz6804 Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 780 @ 1020/1502
    From the DLL folder: wa001382.dll and wc002158.dll
    From the HTM folder: wa001382.htm and wc002158.htm
    From the root folder: pbag.dll, pbcl.db, pbcl.dll, and pbns.dat

Are the only files I have in my \Battlefield Bad Company 2\pb folder, and I am able to play online.

16. king-dubs

king-dubs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TITAN X (Pascal) + X34
    Punkbuster issue after all.

Time to hammer Evenbalance/EA with tickets.

17. Blitz6804

Blitz6804 Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 780 @ 1020/1502
    PB Support

Just letting everyone in on the discussion with PB:
    I will let you all know if anything changes. For now, anyone needing the old version of PB, please PM me your email address, and I will send it.

18. onthemour

onthemour Active Member

GPU:
    780 acx
    afterburner 2.0.0 works. It is not detected

19. Unwinder

Unwinder Moderator Staff Member

Wrong. It is not a question of "detecting" it. It is a question of having no direct hardware access driver loaded, so Punkbuser has no chances to scan dedicated GPU memory for "cheats" and this way crash the hardware.
    Afterburner 2.0.0 knows nothing about 69xxx family so it DOES NOT provide low-level support for it, which means that you don't have voltage control and fast low-level monitoring and application functionality is limited to native AMD driver possibilities.
    You may get the same effect in any newer version by simply removing/renaming RTCore.cfg file in Afterburner folder, but it will kill good part of application functionality as well.

20. Blitz6804

Blitz6804 Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 780 @ 1020/1502
    EA's Side of the Fence

I put a message in with EA about Punkbuster. I told them specifically that I have diagnosed the problem exactly: use an old version of PB, no crash; use a non-PB server, no crash. Their response? No joke:
    (1) Clear your temp folder; here is how...
    (2) Please close background tasks; here is how...
    (3) Update your drivers; here is how...
    (3) Clear your browser's cache, and unplug extra devices; here is how...

So of course, I responded:
    So it looks like both EA and EB are inept / incompetent.

UPDATE FROM EA:

My reply states that UAC is off, and compatibility mode made no difference. Their response is to give me an EADM copy of the game (which I refused to get, since I already had to download it once through Stardock) to see if that makes a difference.

EDIT#2: You are not going to believe this... I was just told to reduce my resolution from 1920x1080 to see if that will fix the problem. Because we all know that a four-gigahertz processor and dual HD 6970s will struggle at that resolution...

EA is seriously annoying me. First they refuse to acknowledge that there is a problem with Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit (two graphics cards get 40 FPS, one gets 60 FPS), and now this insanity.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2011