Bayonetta out today on Steam

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by WhiteLightning, Apr 11, 2017.

1. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus TUF 3080 OC
    That's just an assumption, no one at Platinum/Sega has ever confirmed that AFIAK. And even if it is, so what? It can be changed, no it doesn't require re-doing animations or any of the other incredibly stupid false information ignorant kids assume and spread around. Why do you think it was effortless for them to set the PS3 version to sync with (a goal of) 30 fps while the 360 version ran up to 60 fps (was that one even synced?)?

Often syncing with a pre-set frame rate is just a setting they can toggle on or off with no consequence and it's only done to prevent very obvious lag on a console (so the game just slows down rather that horribly stutter, which is arguably just as bad). I would bet this is the case nearly all the time.

There is absolutely no excuse for a game to be frame locked, just as there's no excuse for it to be resolution locked. I've seen the same stupid excuses used (by fans) for 1080p caps used by companies like Bandai/Namco, it's all BS.
    It's a game that requires fast twitch response, FPS is just as important in this game as in a shooter, especially if you want to play it as it was intended (without taking a single hit) to get the highest ratings.
    Odd, it doesn't do that for me. I heard some reports that 2x MSAA works and the others don't. It doesn't work for me at all, all of the AA settings do literally nothing.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2017
  2. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    I did a comparison at 2560x1440 of the different levels of MSAA during a quiet moment in the game (of which there aren't too many!) and it seems only 2xMSAA works. Combined with down sampling from 4K it is all that's needed really. The image quality is super-crisp on my display at 4K @ 2560x1440 using DSR.

3. Calmmo

Calmmo Ancient Guru

GPU:
    if by assumption you mean fact, then yes, the game runs in fast forward

4. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus TUF 3080 OC
    I just checked again and I'm getting the same result reported with 2xMSAA; the entire screen's lighting gets screwed but it does appear to work. I have no idea if it was bugged and didn't the first time I tried it or if I was blind and somehow didn't see it. I tried forcing different types of AA through Inspector, CSAA crashes, I didn't try SSAA, and plain MSAA doesn't work (not even 2x). I figured a fullscreen filter like FXAA has to work, and it does.

I also ran into the picture-in-picture bug of the cutscenes if you use an odd resolution, so I'm kind of stuck with 1440p since downsampling from 4K is too much for my 970 due to more Japanese-developerness; it aims for either 30 or 60, when it detects my FPS is below 60 it just drops and holds at 30. Another thing I absolutely despise about Japanese games.

The FXAA makes a big difference when stuck at 1440p, so at least that works. I'm thinking about trying SMAA but Inspector doesn't seem to have an option for it so I'd have to inject it. I haven't tried it in years, it was slightly superior to FXAA but I assume FXAA has improved over the years? Also, it used to take a chunk more resources than FXAA did.

Anyway, does anyone know if there's any way to check my scores for each stage in the game? I could have sworn the PS3 version had a section to just look at your own scores. The only thing I see in this port is the leaderboard which doesn't work, the game just eternally locks up if I try to load anything from it.
    How do you know this? And that's pretty much ignoring most of what I said and my entire point.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2017

5. Godeau

Godeau Member

GPU:
    Palit Jetstream 980TI
    I'll probably wait for a sale on this one.
    Already gotten it on xbox360 and Bayonetta 2 on the Wii U

6. Darkest

Darkest Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HD7950
    The game sold more than 100,000 copies in its first week on Steam.

http://steamspy.com/app/460790

Not bad for such an old game, I suspect it's selling more than expected. Good news for the future I think, hopefully we'll see more releases thanks to this.

7. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    Not only that plus Sega posted on the Steam forums for the game that a patch is on the way.

8. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6800 "Vanilla"
    http://steamcommunity.com/app/460790/discussions/0/1291816569114253072/

9. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    It's a 9.1 MB too. Great that they actually released a patch but it's been a shockingly long time coming. Still, better late than never, eh?