Bay Area GeForce users w/ random Chrome TDRs after installing 352.86+ driver...

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by ManuelG, Jun 6, 2015.

1. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    I have had no TDRs since doing a clean install of the v353.06 driver using DDU. I use Afterburner and RTSS's OSD on its default polling in 99.5% of my games, I have hardware acceleration enabled in Chrome and Firefox and have never experienced this issue while browsing. In my case, I suspect the issue was caused by an improper driver installation when upgrading from my GTX 980 to GTX 980 Ti. Time will tell though...

2. Nuja

Nuja Active Member

GPU:
    8800 GTS 512
    Seems like anything which use HA can cause the crash (but its a driver issue), I was using chrome with HA ON and it crash, I disabled it but was still getting crash, but it was using skype on the other monitor while playing which was making me crash, once exits skype i can play for hours and no crash yet.

Try the driver and nothing running in background that could use HA (video/webcam etc...).

3. CrazyGenio

CrazyGenio Master Guru

GPU:
    Msi rtx 2080ti trio
    yeah you are right, after a long hours of no TDR in chrome right now i was just seeing reindhart overwatch gameplay in youtube, after 3 minutes of that the screen freezed and then my computer restarted.

the only true fix is rolling back to 350.12, but the performance in the witcher and some games is lost :bang:

4. vandinz

vandinz Member

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 970
    I've found a similar thing with ZOTAC Firestorm, which is their version of Afterburner. Once I stop that running, I get no crashes (so far). Leave it running and I can guarentee Witcher 3 will crash and Chrome will go at some point.

EDIT - AMD 6300 CPU - 8 Gig RAM - Windows 8.1 - Fully up to date. Firestorm version 2.0.1 using custom fan curve. Nothing else running (I'm a bit anal about things running in the background).

Last edited: Jun 12, 2015

5. mtrai

mtrai Maha Guru

GPU:
    PowerColor RD Vega
    I am not an Nvidia user however I do use AMD R9 290x and Chrome and with the last 2 build both 10130 and 10135 we are having issues with Chrome and windows 10 as well. From TDR to using chrome with multi monitor issues. Just saying.

Not sure if this will help but what I have noticed I will get TDR or 1 monitor blanking while Chrome will spike the GPU usage. If I do not use Chrome I get neither issue. The monitor blanking only occurs if I am running a movie with VLC on the HDMI connection on my TV. I have turned on HA in both, in one or the other and off in both and it still occurs.

And as others have said I also do use MSI Afterburner.

6. PirateNeilsouth

PirateNeilsouth Ancient Guru

GPU:
    980 OC
    Tried the recommended polling rate fix? 6000-7000

7. mtrai

mtrai Maha Guru

GPU:
    PowerColor RD Vega

Gonna search for that in a bit...we have a new "leaked" driver that I am about to try out. But from what I am seeing this is more then just red or green team thing, but something to do with Chrome and Win 10, or just Chrome.

PS I am not big on the calling the red or green team, I am more concerned in resolving issues.

8. PirateNeilsouth

PirateNeilsouth Ancient Guru

GPU:
    980 OC
    Na people have had driver has stopped responding in games too, not just Chrome.

9. mtrai

mtrai Maha Guru

GPU:
    PowerColor RD Vega
    I am/was getting that as well. Anyhow just trying to help out, would be nice to determine especially if it cross GPU maker issue aka a Microsoft issue or not.

10. pharma

pharma Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix GTX 1080
    Update: I am still getting the "driver stopped responding" error but does not occur as ofte. Hopefully Nvidia will find the cause as it is related to something which changed in the last 3 drivers released. Switching to 347.88 and no erros/problems.

11. ---TK---

---TK--- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    Where the heck is ManuelG?, he should be providing some kind of update regarding the last 3 drivers causing display driver stopped errors and browser crashes for manypeople. I did not even try the drivers in benches or games due to the crashes on desktop. Low and behold 350.12 is working dandy, though it is starting to get long in the tooth game support wise for recent titles.

12. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX980 SLI
    I can't even go back to 350.x, alt-tab causes everything to stutter like mad for about a minute (NVIDIA Surround)

And enabling / disabling surround hangs the whole machine for about 30+ seconds

Those bugs are fixed in the 353.x drivers, but they crash my whole machine

Only completely stable drivers for me are 347.88, but like you say, they are old now

13. vandinz

vandinz Member

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 970
    @Manuel - Do you have any software we can run to 'catch' the problem when it happens? I'm willing to try to help but I'm in the UK so no chance of me getting anywhere near you. I've just had two TDR's withing 10 mins browsing with Chrome. I did have ZOTAC Firestorm running though as it's hot here and need to use the custom curve. Shut it off now so hoping I won't get another.

:)

14. ---TK---

---TK--- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    I have a feeling nvidia still cannot replicate the problem.

15. EdKiefer

EdKiefer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 970 Gaming 4G
    You would think they could with amount of people having issue .
    I think the more troubling is it takes many hrs to happen .

There debugging record would be a lot of noise for them to go through till they find crash , unless they can enable save last X timeframe , I don't know .

Someone posted that ManuelG posted on twitter that they are trying a fix, I don't know how true, as I don't use twitter .

16. FDisk

FDisk Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS STRIX GTX970 OC 4GB
    This?
    https://mobile.twitter.com/ManuelGuzman/status/608687147650961410

17. Scalarscience

Scalarscience Member Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX580 Classifie
    I was also having TDR crashes that weren't restricted to FF & Chrome (Illustrator CC 2014, Photoshop, once with Maya & Shadermap pro running...)

And sadly there's some changes in UT4 & UE4.7 that are fixed in current drivers but not in older drivers (since UT4 & UE4.7 are new builds as of last week) so my dev & gameplay efforts there are hampered as well!

18. EdKiefer

EdKiefer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 970 Gaming 4G
  19. nvanao

nvanao Banned

GPU:
    GTX 780 Ti Classy
    @Scalarscience: please read my post

20. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20

LOL seems this guy knew something very early on.