Bay Area GeForce users w/ random Chrome TDRs after installing 352.86+ driver...

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by ManuelG, Jun 6, 2015.

1. ^ This, don't take anything personally, I appreciate and respect the hard time any dev puts into software as it's no easy task. MSI Afterburner is a great tool. In my initial post I wrote NV will need to debug and flesh out whatever conflicts in their drivers have with other software that utilizes them. It's not a personal attack, let's get that much straight. And if I came off as too forward I apologize, I'm just posting, not killing kittens for Christ sake.

2. Bradders684

Bradders684 Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980 Ti GAMING
    Witcher 3 crashes for me when Afterburner is running but Chrome is alright. I havent tested GPU tweak or anything though.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2015
  3. PixelBurst

PixelBurst Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte G1 Nvidia 970
    Sigh...

MSI Afterburner is not the issue. Fact. Tested across two systems, fresh install Windows, no Afterburner installed and the TDR's persist. Blaming Afterburner is as stupid as expanding the TDR time.

4. pharma

pharma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix GTX 1080
    UnWinder, please you are not helping. People have noted the error when either AfterBurner or PrecisionX is running in the background, so everyone knows the problem is not specific to either. All we are trying to do is find "common" denominators to help Nvidia find a solution.

5. PirateNeilsouth

PirateNeilsouth Ancient Guru

GPU:
    980 OC
    FACT - Tested, it is now 12.30am and still no driver has stopped responding with the MSI Afterburner polling rate set to 5000/6000. That's over 5 hours of computer usage so far with many windows open and game playing

6. Unwinder

Unwinder Ancient Guru Staff Member

I always say everything I want under my own name. And in fact deeply hate cowards posting nonsense from fake accounts. And what you did right now is called lie.

7. EdKiefer

EdKiefer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 3060ti
    Those that are raising polling rates from default of 1sec to 6 sec .
    Be careful your temps are going to go up especially when fan needs to ramp up during first heavy load .

Monitor temps good cause it going to lag behind what you had before .

PS you need to use another monitor with high polling to see it good .

8. PirateNeilsouth

GPU:
    980 OC
    6 seconds isn't a large amount in the grand scheme of things, besides I use a fan profile any way.

9. Unwinder

Unwinder Ancient Guru Staff Member

Common denominator is NVAPI usage, which is stated a few posts above. All the tools mentioned in this thread (MSI AB, GPUZ, ASUS GPU Tweak, EVGA PX) and claimed to be responsible for crashes in different places in fact use the same NVAPI to display graphics card state in realtime. Polling rate settings in monitoring tools do not affect anything but the frequency of periodic NVAPI calls inside the tools.
    If it is not helping you, it doesn't mean that it is telling nothing to people related to driver development.

10. EdKiefer

EdKiefer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 3060ti
    what do you think the fan profile works off ?

I am not saying your GPU will over heat but you need to be aware it might run hotter especially depending on OC and fan profile .
    many don't even start till X temp and GPU change temps very fast .

Edit: Ok, I take some of what I said back, just tested with and without fan profile and varying polling up to 10sec didn't make much change on temps on my 970 .

I wasn't sure how AB stock 5sec fan profile would react with a HW polling much higher .

11. PirateNeilsouth

GPU:
    980 OC
    Mine is set to a fixed profile, it's not dynamic based on temps.... However thank you for the advisory ( Not being sarcastic )

12. BananaRepublik

BananaRepublik Member Guru

GPU:
    Galax RTX 2080ti
    I've tested it with and without Afterburner, and get crashes either way. Sometimes I can play the Witcher 3 for over 2 hours without a crash (Afterburner running), other times it'll last 5 minutes. It doesn't matter what's running. I've disabled everything I can. I've reloaded Windows even. Still get TDR's.

I really can't remember the last time I had any such issues with a driver, which actually speaks volumes about the quality of the drivers up to this point.

The problem seems completely random. There's nothing I can do to force it to crash. It's a driver issue and seems to be completely unrelated to whatever is running at the time.

I'm crashing in other games too, not just Witcher (Dying Light), but I've never had a Chrome crash, and that's with HW Acceleration on. I've lowered my clocks. I've installed 347.88 as a base. I've run DDU and ONLY installed the driver and PhysX. I've closed all the running apps I can. Nothing has worked.

13. Franz

Franz Active Member

GPU:
    GTX970 Windforce OC
    i get many crashes and restore driver in warframe. the game uses physx. back to 347,25 and its better but get crahes in void also. And because i play assassin's creed unity. There is a bug in all helix-missions not showing correct. not repaired since 347.25. last driver 353.12 very very unstabel and get computer systemfreezes. had to reset.
    I noticed, that the unstable crashes and freezes are only in warframe and i set in physx from auto (what commented as to be best) to physx set to my GPU. I noticed only one crash of the game in 24 hours. Thats much better now.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2015
  14. PixelBurst

PixelBurst Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte G1 Nvidia 970
    Whoopdy do, I've had the driver not crash for over 12 hours in it's unstable form with and without MSI Afterburner. And no, nothing to do with him, I just respect that this tool is not to blame.

15. JJayzX

JJayzX Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI Trio 4090 W/C
    Unwinder always gets wound up if anyone says anything remotely "negative" about his software. The dude needs to chill and just work through it. The only reason we hear so much about afterburner is cause its popular, plenty of us love the software. The only problem is now that the software is exposing a flaw with the drivers and since this software is popular, there is a lot about it. So everyone just chill and focus on the issue.

16. CrazyGenio

CrazyGenio Master Guru

GPU:
    rtx 3090
    i'm using OC GURU II and my chrome still crashes with hw on.

17. FDisk

FDisk Guest

GPU:
    ASUS STRIX GTX970 OC 4GB
    Tell me about it. I once asked if he could add a no skin ui to afterburner. I think if he was standing in front of me at that moment with a knife I would be all holes.

Still want a no skin ui though..../runs away hides under the table.

18. Soundcreepy

Soundcreepy Member Guru

GPU:
    PNY 780 Enthusiast 3gb
    It seems upping the polling rate in Afterburner fixed both Chrome crashes and game crashes. Using Afterburner 4.1.1 with a polling rate of 6000 and driver 353.06 has so far stopped the random crashes and recovery in chrome and the games tested are Far Cry 4, Unity, and Witcher 3. Normally driver would crash/recover after around 1/2 hour to an hour of activity. Only been changed for ~a day so far, but looks promising.

19. Grendel_66

Grendel_66 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G
    FWIIW, I don't have any problems (no driver crash w/in the last year or so.) Profile specs are current, driver is 353.12, 3.5k monitor via DP, running AB (4.1.1) for fan override & monitoring at 1000ms intervals. Using Chrome & IE regularly. Also got a 2nd machine (6yrs old, C2Q) w/ a 660 and the same OS/driver/software setup. No problems there either.

20. crisrodrigues

crisrodrigues Guest

GPU:
    3x GTX 980 SLI
    Tried increasing the pooling rate to 6000 but chrome still crashed here =(