Bay Area GeForce users w/ random Chrome TDRs after installing 352.86+ driver...

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by ManuelG, Jun 6, 2015.

1. NeoandGeo

NeoandGeo Master Guru

GPU:
    Geforce GTX 970 @1420
    What version of the game are you currently running? With versions 1.9-1.10 the game will eventually crash to the desktop with any Gameworks settings turned on. This can happen 5 minutes in or 3 hours in. It's a known issue with the games code and has this problem on all configurations.

2. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    I believe the TDR issues I experienced with the GTX 780 and GTX 980 SC were a result of my manually overclocking the GPU and/or VRAM too high. I only had one TDR in the nine months I owned a GTX 980 SC and that was because I overclocked it. It was 100% stable on the factory settings (though, I apologise if I have forgotten other instances of TDRs). I recall my GTX 780 being mostly problem free as well. Do not recall too many TDRs with that either (I think Sniper Elite V2 suffered from some issues when using ultra shadows but that was a driver bug that was eventually fixed).

So far my GTX 980 Ti SC experience has been mostly enjoyable and positive but it only takes one or two TDRs to "spoil the party" as it were because you are then always conscious that they could happen again at some point. IMO, TDR errors should not be happening at all on such expensive hardware.

3. NeoandGeo

NeoandGeo Master Guru

GPU:
    Geforce GTX 970 @1420
    Waiting for a TDR is only one notch below the madness of waiting for your game to drop to 58fps then back up to 60, which was the life of a 680 owner early on. Utter BS.

4. Geicher

Geicher Member

GPU:
    4x4GB DDR4

This is exactly the same problem I have with my EVGA GTX 980 Superclocked!

I have this card since it got released and during that time I had 2 RMA's but unfortunately TDR's keep happening from time to time.

Just like you it's not happening after XY minutes after playing (Well after 352.86 it does) it just happens randomly every few days in different games.

One night you can play 10 hours without any problems and the next day you see a TDR after 20 minutes of playing some random game.

As a lot of you guys suspect, I think there is something wrong with one (or more) voltage/clock settings which could cause instability in very specific scenarios.

I didn't try it myself (don't have Dual BIOS) but probably you could fix this mess by disabling GPU Boost and run the card at a stable frequency combined with the proper voltage.

5. Helpful

Helpful Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 980 Ti
    After grueling weekend with my new GTX 980 Ti, I find that , with so many crashes, it needs a new BIOS to opperate properly. The EVGA Precision KBoost can keep it rock steady...no crashing computer or CTDs.
    This is really important to me, as I saved up for 2 years to buy this card , only to find it fundamentally defective , but easily remedied. A new driver will never fully fix it any more than it did for the GTX970 cards. It is the throttling that crashes it. Please get the word out..please! It is the only way to get Nvidia to respond quickly.

6. Predator BG

Predator BG Member

GPU:
    GTX980Ti ZT-90501-10P/6GB
    I have ZOTAC GeForce GTX 980 Ti ZT-90501-10P. I returned:350.12 good driver:):):)
    Nvidia INF driver modding nv_dispi.:)
    WTF:To be able to post links or images your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Please remove links from your message, then you will be able to submit your post.
    HAH
    I'm now

7. Shelledfade

Shelledfade Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980
    gameworks isn't causing the crashing. I'm getting tdr crashes on 353.30 in valley benchmark at stock clocks now. Ridiculous.

This is an abomination of a driver. Rolled back to 347.88 and no problems with stock clocks or OC.

I don't know what the hell is wrong with these newer drivers but I've tried literally everything at this point and nothing works.

8. Predator BG

Predator BG Member

GPU:
    I could not give you a link to my post (#214)above on top.:bang:
    350.12 driver
    proof: link FIRE STRIKE 1.1
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 23, 2015
  9. Kishkumen32

Kishkumen32 New Member

GPU:
    GTX 980 Ti SC 6GB
    Does anybody have a 980 ti that is not the superclocked variant? I wonder if EVGA took the lazy way out and slapped the same bios on the 980 ti and 980 ti SC. It would be nice to confirm that theory with somebody who has a stock 980 ti, with out a factory overclock.

It is obvious that the voltage table for the SC variants needs to be adjusted, as the current table that uses the stock values is the root cause of the TDR's people are experiencing.

There may have been game specific tweaks in the latest driver that brought this issue to more people, but fundamentally, the driver can't fix this. The manufacturers are going to have to fix this in the BIOS for the cards.

I wish ManualG was still here, maybe Nvidia can pressure the manufacturers to update the bios...

10. EdKiefer

EdKiefer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 970 Gaming 4G
    One thing for sure, most all 3rd party OC cards are using reference voltage table but with boost table bumped up 50-100mhz more .
    So what this does is above CLK 35 for same voltage the clock is 50-100+ more .
    This doesn't affect idle voltage but would affect the spike to boost clocks .

You can see this easy by looking at ref vers OC bios .

I am not saying this is the cause but if driver tends to boost fast with maybe drop in voltage, these OC bios are not helping the situation .

11. Geicher

Geicher Member

GPU:
    4x4GB DDR4
    For further research i compared the reference BIOS to the BIOS of my EVGA GTX 980 Superclocked ACX 2.0 and found out something very interesting

As you can see in the screenshots below EVGA obviously changed the Boost Table to achieve higher clocks but, as it seems to me, they didn't adapt the voltage table to the now shifted Boost Table.

Thus the card boosts higher than the reference card (because of the changed clock and table) but applies the same voltage (at least voltage range) to the different clock states.

I hope you understood what I tried to explain, please feel free to correct me if you think this theory is not correct.

Here are some screenshots where I compared the SC BIOS with the Reference BIOS:

http ://i.imgur.com/dqiMgga.png?1
    http ://i.imgur.com/AIk5IcO.png?1

Can't post links as I don't have 5 posts :/

12. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX980Ti OC
    That's not really a problem, that voltage is stable to certain freq.

Mine uses 1.162v @ 1087mhz boost and its still stable 1.162v @ 1150mhz, I now hard flashed this new boost in bios.

Your problem is usually the part in between, lower full3d voltage swings at lower full3d boost clocks. That is purely driver issue and how it controls that voltage and adjusts it by gpu load.

e.g. 1024mv @ 1050mhz boost, then sudden jump to 1181mv @ 1280mhz..

13. EdKiefer

EdKiefer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 970 Gaming 4G
    what he is saying is what I mentioned , they shifted the boost clocks with everthing boost clock higher than 35 .
    So no this doesn't affect your full top 3d voltage, but it will affect transit , changing boost from mid to high . basically were the P0x states are, except the 08 idle one .

This is nothing new , but because they can clock Maxwell a lot higher than kepler the table is shifted more .

14. OrdinaryOregano

OrdinaryOregano Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1080 Gaming X
    I was using 350.12 until 2 days ago because of the crashing issue, then I DDU cleaned and installed this new one for Batman.

So far, no issues in 2 days. Granted the only title I've tested it so far is Batman but there's been no display driver crashes in either that nor in regular usage. Really strange. And yes I'm using MSI AB w/RTSS and all the works.

15. scaramonga

scaramonga Member Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 GTX 3090 W/C
    It's the GBloatFest Experience, I tell ya :)

16. NeoandGeo

NeoandGeo Master Guru

GPU:
    Geforce GTX 970 @1420
    I actually got my first TDR after clean installing 353.30 on Windows 10 to see if it cleared up the problems I was having in B:AK. Also experienced my first crash in TW3 after recovering from the TDR. This was without MSI Afterburner running with a +93/+300 OC and max voltage slider increase.

Seems in my case both crashes came from my card not having enough voltage to maintain stability. Maybe you guys getting constant TDR's can try bumping voltage? Stock voltage may not be enough to properly power your card.

17. schwat

schwat Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980
    Hey Predator, any chance you could post the strings needed to modify the nv_dispi.inf file or a link to the file itself? I'm going to be getting a 980 ti through step up here soon & I'm pretty damn worried about it actually based on my experience with any driver newer than 350.12 with my 980.

Any help on how to get 350.12 or 347.88 to work with the 980 ti on windows 8.1 would be very greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

18. Predator BG

Predator BG Member

GPU:
    link: nv_dispi:)

19. ManuelG

ManuelG NVIDIA Rep

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 2080 FE
    Correct. Thanks to everyone for their help. We will be releasing a hotfix driver soon which we hope addresses the desktop TDR issues that users reported with drivers newer than 350.12.

20. stigbeater

stigbeater Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 1070 msi gaming X
    hi manuelG thats great news:banana: can you give us a clue to what the issue was. many thanks