Bay Area GeForce users w/ random Chrome TDRs after installing 352.86+ driver...

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by ManuelG, Jun 6, 2015.

1. ManuelG

ManuelG NVIDIA Rep

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 2080 FE
    Hello. My name is Manuel and I work for NVIDIA. You can find me often on the GeForce forums under the username ManuelG.

We need help from users who live near our corporate office in Santa Clara and are experiencing a particular bug that we are having a very hard time getting a good repro. The particular bug description is as follows:
    After installing driver 352.86 or newer, some users noticed they randomly get a message from Windows stating "Display driver stopped responding and has recovered" while using Google Chrome. If the user reverts back to driver 350.12 or an older driver, then the issue goes away.
    We have tried to match the configurations of users systems posted on forums and reported to our support team but unfortunately we have not been able to trigger a TDR fast enough to root cause the problem so we are reaching out to customers hoping someone might be willing to help us reproduce this problems. Preferably someone local to us (Bay Area/Sacramento Area). Some ways you can help us include:
    -Share your Google Chrome plug ins/extentions installed in your browser -How many tabs do you usually have open when you see a TDR? -If a TDR occurs more frequently when you are on certain websites, please list which sites. -Do you live in Sacramento/Bay Area? If so would you be willing to visit our corporate office and show us a repro, let our driver team run diag tools to capture additional info or test BETA driver? Would you be willing to let an NVIDIA representative visit your home and collect display driver information from your system that reproduces this issue? Would you be willing to loan us your PC or just your graphics card? -If you do not live near Santa Clara but live in USA, would you be willing to loan us your graphics card which is showing this issue? -Any other information you can share the help us reproduce this info including list of apps running in the background, system configuration, etc.?

If you would like to help NVIDIA, please contact me at driverfeedback@nvidia.com. If you are local to us please also include your phone number where you can be reached. Thank you for your time.

2. harkinsteven

harkinsteven Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    ManuelG, If it helps I only seem to get the crash if MSI afterburner is running. If I close it I don't see the crashing.

3. ---TK---

---TK--- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    It happened to me using firefox, I also posted msi afterburner was running too in another thread. This is the post with more info.
    Other side of the country, NJ.
    Specs in profile.
    Firefox with hardware acceleration off.
    Aeoro is enabled.
    MSI Afterburner running in the background.
    Last 3 drivers exhibit this behavior. 350.12 and earlier work fine.
    No driver cleaners installed or used ever.
    If you need further info ask.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2015
  4. CrazyGenio

CrazyGenio Master Guru

GPU:
    Msi rtx 2080ti trio
    i'm using firefox now, lol, no problems here for now, is there any logcat or crashreport inside chrome files?

5. khanmein

khanmein Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 SC
    don't close the thread again. any website or w/o the tab the google chrome will freeze & don't ask me to disable h/w acceleration cos i bought so expensive + over-rated card that u blamed marketing side.

stop blaming my rig or chrome cos if chrome got issue y 347.88 driver no issue at all?? please kindly answer me.

tell the truth, can u fix it or not? just yes or no got so hard to answer? ask for forgiveness & we'll forgive u.

don't tell me that u don't have issue. if don't have issue don't release a driver again. stop update the driver or u step down & resign asap.

thanks.

6. schoolofmonkey

schoolofmonkey Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3090 XC3
    Not in the area or country for that matter but hope the info helps.
    I was getting constant TDR's with 353.12 and 353.06 in Witcher 3, I couldn't even get into the game would TDR after the loading screen.
    I wasn't experiencing TDR's anywhere else, Firefox, Chrome etc.

I ran Batman Arkham Origins, none of the PhysX options were available (couldn't set the PhysX option to High) and the PhysX objects wouldn't move or were black.

What fixed the TDR's and PhysX issues for me is uninstalling the included version of PhysX and reinstalling the PhysX package from the Nvidia web site.

Witcher 3 loaded straight away and has been running fine ever since without any crashing.
    Batman AO is all good too.

Think I brought a similar problem to your attention last year with the GTX980's launch drivers, this ended up being fixed until these 2 latest versions.

Hope that helps a little, wish I was closer as I can easily replicated the problem with a fresh driver install.

7. anxious_f0x

anxious_f0x Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 3090 FE
    Posted this in the driver thread but you may have missed it.

Hope that somehow helps in reproducing this problem, shame I'm not closer as I can consistently get this to happen.

8. BananaRepublik

BananaRepublik Member Guru

GPU:
    Galax RTX 2080ti
    I typed out a long response to this and then decided it actually just isn't worth it. Extremely tempting though.

9. Prophet

Prophet Master Guru

GPU:
    Msi 680 Gtx Twin Frozr
    Great idea.

10. dreamss

dreamss Banned

GPU:
    770gtx x2
    Wish i could help but this new drvers are not compatible with w10

11. 0blivious

0blivious Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5700XT / GTX1070
    I hope you guys (at Nvidia) get this sorted soon. I like the idea of reaching out to tech forum members for locals. I would bring my rig by if I still lived in the Bay Area.

I was getting pretty frequent CTDs while using Chrome with driver 352.86. This was followed by the latest 353.xx driver which doesn't seem to crash when browsing but now gives me an occasional CTD while playing The Witcher 3.

This is using the specs to the left (MSi GTX 970/Win 8.1 x64)

I've gone back to driver 350.xx.

What's odd is my girlfriend runs a PC with a GTX760 and she's used all these drivers with nary an issue. (i7 2600K/Win 8.1 x64) She's still using the latest WHQL release now.

12. Doom112

Doom112 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980 TF V
    Even games are crashing on latest drivers .

13. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    I have just fitted a new EVGA GTX 980 Ti SC, which boosts from the factory overclock to 1,291-1,304 MHz during gaming and I experienced TDRs within minutes of playing Project CARS and Far Cry 4 using the v353.06 drivers. However, I played The Witcher 3 for an hour and left Watch_Dogs running in-game for four hours with no issues. This with all games completely maxed out at 1920x1200 by the way. Temps, using a custom Afterburner v4.1.1 fan profile, never rose above 71 degrees C either.

I only ever experienced one TDR error with my previous GTX 980 SC however and that was when I attempted to overclock it further. It was 100% stable otherwise for the 9 months that I owned it on the factory overclock.

Now I may have had Chrome v43.0 running during those games that crashed but it was definitely not running when I tested Watch_Dogs. I have Hardware Acceleration on by the way as it never caused any issues with my last card, granted I do not usually leave browsers open while gaming and, rarely, if ever, Alt-Tab back and forth to games.

14. pharma

pharma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix GTX 1080
    I get the "Display driver stopped responding" error using Internet Explorer or opening Outlook 2013. Sometimes the error may be triggered by manually changing monitor resolution or changing zoom level in IE but have not encountered the error when playing a game.

Suggestion ... instead of looking for someone in your geographic area you should do a remote session with someone where you can view their desktop.

15. wunkley

wunkley Master Guru

GPU:
    780Ti SLI
    @ ManuelG - Nice gesture, but you're not really listening to the feedback that's out there already sir!

For what it's worth, I regularly get the 'display driver stopped responding' crash with all 353.xx drivers, but it has nothing to do with chrome for me.

I've not had issues like this in 10 years+ of using Nvidia cards.

9 times out of 10 when it happens for me I am just on the desktop and either:

1. Opening the NV control panel

2. Clicking on my computer

3. Moving a window from one monitor to another

Again, for all of these times, chrome is not even open. The problem goes far far deeper than just a chrome issue, and you need to listen to our end user feedback.

16. Spenty

Spenty Active Member

GPU:
    Titan X @ 1500/8000
    Fix asap or go AMD new card!

17. bishi

bishi Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 SLI
    ManuelG - it happens to me currently with my 780GTX cards (SLI). I'm actually just upgrading to 980 Ti SLI so I'd be happy to sell these to you for testing :)

For me it may have happened with earlier drivers but it is worse with 353.06 and TERRIBLE with the 353.12

5960X
    Rampage V Extreme
    16GB RAM
    Reference 780 GTX SLI
    Win 8.1

18. ManuelG

ManuelG NVIDIA Rep

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 2080 FE
    Which version of MSI Afterburner? What OS are you running?

19. bishi

bishi Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 SLI
    I also run MSI Afterburner, I haven't tested stability with it disabled. The latest version, v4.1.1.7625

20. yosef019

yosef019 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 ti
    MSI 4.1.0 have like black screen in crome or desktop then like 5 driver crashes windows need to close
    350.12 drivers lastest stable 64bit crome