Battlefield V Returns Towards World War II theme - no premium passes or DLCs

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, May 24, 2018.

1. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080Ti @h2o
    Oh, that trailer... the old maps... makes me sentimental. Still remember the fun I've had on those maps... *sigh*

We only saw a launch trailer. Compare BF3 launch trailer and BF5 launch trailer, and it spells a different story, I have to admit. But yes, the new one caters more to the "LENSFLARE! ACTION!" generation of gamers. Let's wait for a MP gameplay trailer to compare them I'd say.

2. Fox2232

Fox2232 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    People don’t like to be meddled with. We tell them what to do, what to think, don’t run, don’t walk. We’re in their homes and in their heads and we haven’t the right. We’re meddlesome.

-- River Tam - Serenity

Deleted member 109358 likes this.
  3. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 3090 Strix OC
    Now THAT's the kind of battlefield i wanted... just an updated version with improved graphics, 60 hz servers and no bugs. Battlefield 3 is by far the battlefield version i played the most, with battlefield vietnam coming in at 2nd.

Deleted member 109358 likes this.
  4. goat1

goat1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 770 2gb
    One game just like what I was talking about was IronStorm. Great game. It could be done better tho. Someone needs to revisit that concept and take it to the next level..

5. jaggerwild

jaggerwild Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2070 SUP
    I'm gonna sit back n wait for in game Video to make a decision. Any Ideal of cost yet?

6. slick3

slick3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2070 +85/1200
    Battlefield 3 was great, but BFBC2 will always be the greatest.The pace of the game was just on point - it's wasn't just mindless run and gun. In BF1, just gotta hold W until you see someone, point and shoot. In BFBC2 it was way more than that.

No premium passes or DLC may just mean they won't release new maps. I don't see them not monetizing the game, it's very unlike EA and history is very much against them. They will get their crap together once we 'stop giving them chances' , otherwise we are the ones being played.

EA knows very well that if there was a game gamers wouldn't buy because of their previous frack-ups - BF V would be it, hence the no premium passes or DLCs. If us gamers are serious about what we claimed before, we would hop over this BF like we'd hope over a bunch of dirty socks.

7. __hollywood|meo

__hollywood|meo Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 970 @1.55ghz
    ive been following along with this thread with a combination of chagrin & amusement at some of the responses submitted here. im now compelled to comment.

DICE has made multiple twitter posts claiming to value & preserve historical accuracy with the battlefield series. yes, more than two. more than three. to people claiming that taking liberties with the events, context, & individuals contained therein falls under some sort of creative or artistic license of fanciful reimagining: take note. they are flatly saying one thing & doing another. why? to appeal to two broader demographics...one that needs ritalin & warm milk before bed, & another that doesnt play video games at all but loudly squawks about them by writing clickbait articles online.

my grandfather served on a destroyer in the pacific theater to conclude WWII. my great uncle was boots on the ground in germany. the actual events of WWII were fantastic enough by themselves to be fiction. there is no need & no worthwhile appeal in attempting to emulate the modern michael bay, nor is there any depth or color added in bastardizing history by pretending that anyone could manipulate a rifle quickly or accurately with a crude prosthesis, or that celtic warpaint-adorned black guys with katanas on their backs fought alongside the british army. im not even going to get into the parts where a single V1 bomb was used on small infantry (they were long-range bombs used en masse to bombard cities) or the squad gunner calling for ammo who receives a magazine for his already obviously full BOX FED LMG.

i dont want battlefield to be a dry simulation. its always been bombastic (probably in part to make up for the long runs back from spawn). the difference is, it hasnt always spit in the face of history...until BF1. seems like thats going to continue..?

Fox2232, lucidus, Solfaur and 2 others like this.
  8. NewTRUMP Order

NewTRUMP Order Master Guru

GPU:
    STRIX GTX 1080
    My point is talk talk talk but not show the actual game at the "reveal", not much revealed, is not a good sign. Big blow em up videos instead of showing your actual product worries me. In my 35 years of gaming expierence, has shown me this type of "reveal" is not a good sign. If it's so great why not show it first go around? That was my point. And don't feed me the pabulum reasoning of "they want to keep you on the hook" . As I said I will hold judgement until I see "ACTUAL" gameplay. Talk is cheap, show me the money! Then all of this banter will be meaningless!

Last edited: May 26, 2018
  9. Robbo9999

Robbo9999 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX1070 @2050Mhz
    Yeah, the trailer really confused me, for the first half of the trailer I was really questioning my mind whether or not this was WW2 or a modern fictional war - I mean I was pretty damn certain I'd heard BF5 was gonna be based on WW2, but when I was watching the trailer I was questioning whether I'd actually heard that! It just looks silly & wrong. And the first person shooting part of the trailer where he has the MG (from 1:20 in the trailer), the shooting mechanics didn't even looked skill based, he was just spraying and rotating, it looked skilless to me, along with completely pointless 'ass sliding'. Praps the brighter colours will grow on me if I ever play the game, but it better not be as silly as this trailer.

(I'm enjoying BF1 at the moment, haven't played any of the others).

Last edited: May 26, 2018
    Dragam1337 and Solfaur like this.
  10. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
    Same, I literally thought that this was a steam-punk crazy alternate history kind of theme until the very end. And you know what? I would have been completely fine with everything shown if this was the case. When I realized they were actually going for WW2 theme I was blown away in a bad way.

I'm a bit of WW1+2(especially 2) history nut, and the funny thing is that what got me originally into it was the early 2000s WW2 shooters, not documentaries or books (though I did watch and read those afterwards). So after BF1, which I liked quite a lot, all I hoped from DICE was that they could do the same thing in a WW2 setting. All the famous battles in the glorious Frostbite engine and gun sound effects DICE are famous for... what can I say, I'm a simple man. I know many would see it as a BF1 reskin, but I would have really, really liked that.

All I can say is that I still cling on the hope that this trailer was crap and that the actual game will be better. But IF the trailer was an accurate representation of what the game will be like than I'll probably pass, for the first time since BFBC2 (which was by far my favorite).

Robbo9999 likes this.

11. DesGaizu

DesGaizu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AORUS 3060TI
    The trailer did a bad job of showing off the game tbh someone in marketing clearly said "hey make sure you get as much skins and cuztomizion stuff in the trailer" as they are popular right now (fortnite ect)

The new game mechanics like proper recoil on guns, building defences sandbags ect less magic ammo (team play is a big focus) ect look awesome and they better do a better job of showing that off a ea play.

and about all the alternative history stuff of course it is alternative history by the fact the german side can win :p

Solfaur likes this.
  12. Robbo9999

Robbo9999 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX1070 @2050Mhz
    I'd imagine that now they've shown the official trailer for the game, they're somewhat locked in to the general feel of the game shown there. For instance, I think they'll have to keep the vibrant colours of the trailer, as that's a major difference to BF1 and probably the first thing you notice from the trailer - hopefully though they'll take a lot of the silliness out of it, bring it more into line with what we want (a bit more authenticity & respect to the WW2 theme & less of the gimicky bombast of that trailer), while probably having to keep the vibrant colour theme going on.

Solfaur likes this.
  13. Andrew LB

Andrew LB Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080@2,025
    Looks like I can finally achieve my gaming dream of being an afro-tranny-midget-nazi!

On a serious note, i was really looking forward to Battlefield V being a WW2 game with modern graphics but this is definitely something completely different. They definitely lost me as a customer. #notmybattlefield

Dragam1337 and Solfaur like this.
  14. warlord

warlord Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Null
    From my perspective: BFBC2 > BF3 > BF4 > BF1 > BFV

I don't want to go further back, due to dated graphics and gameplay.

Dragam1337 likes this.
  15. DesGaizu

DesGaizu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AORUS 3060TI
    pfft BF2 still the best battlefield, map design was sublime.

fantaskarsef and KissSh0t like this.

16. Vibe

Vibe Master Guru

GPU:
    1080 gtx
    I wonder what the percentage is of all released games that get negative bashed all the time. It must be 99% easily. Do you guys just not really love much or enjoy life? Do you even hate your refrigerator too? Even top rated games like Uncharted 4, etc, people just love to bash them in any way they can. The ones that do say they enjoy it, always have more critical remarks about nitpick stuff while not mentioning what was so great that they enjoyed. Gamers these days are a sad bunch.

17. Monchis

Monchis Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 950
    ^ People like their battlefield games crude and realistic. Trailer is a total failure and it better doesn´t reflect the actual game.

Solfaur likes this.
  18. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080Ti @h2o
    Also, it showed that the skilled medic kills you first, to revive you if you're too low... today it's just "use the syringe!"
    Although I've read now that reviving can be done by anybody again, but requires somebody else to cover you, or it's just another target (which makes sense to pull squaddies out of lines of fire again).

19. AlmondMan

AlmondMan Master Guru

GPU:
    5700 XT Red Devil
    Yeah, cause friendly fire stuff like the medic killing people makes sense in a gameplay perspective.

BF5 will have squadmates able to revive other squadmates, in a longer process than the medics will be able to. It'll be possible to drag around wounded players to get them to cover.

20. RavenMaster

RavenMaster Maha Guru

GPU:
    1x RTX 3080 FE
    Incoming loot boxes