Battlefield V Raytracing Features are now enabled (benchmarks)

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Nov 14, 2018.

1. BangTail

BangTail Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC
    I thought I was going to have regrets when I ditched SLI, but it is the best move I've made vis a vis PC gaming in a long time.

pharma likes this.
  2. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 3090 Strix OC
    Well, if it is to have the benefit you speak of (so that they don't need to spend time of faking it, and can just use RT instead), then it needs to be a universal solution across all platforms, otherwise RT will just be a gimmicky addon for one or two platforms, as is the case now.

True you could, but even rendered at 1080p, it is massively demanding, especially if you make RT take care of everything from lighting to shadows (again, so no work is needed doing fake baked solutions).

I am not saying that 4k is expected by console users, i am saying that the xbox one x is praised for being able to do it more often than not, unlike the other consoles. And i think that people who made the jump and has gotten used to 4k will be less than happy with having to go back to 1080p... i know i would be !

Don't get me wrong, i think that raytracing as a technology is amazing, but as it stands right now, its usage in games ticks every box of a gimmick. A day where we can do a fully raytraced game, where it isn't just a small aspect of the game that is raytraced (and only doable by a few select hardware devices, on only one platform and only a few games), and do it at 4k and 60+ fps, is just maaaany years away. I don't know how much more demanding it would be to make a fully raytraced scene in a game (with raytracing taking care of literally everything), compared to just using raytraced reflections, but a fair guess would be more than 10 times more demanding... we are maaaany years away from having hardware powerful enough for that.

-Tj- likes this.
  3. SniperX

SniperX Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX2080S Trio
    Comments on BFV settings when using DXR, as per Nvidia :

We recommend disabling the following settings from Video-->Basic when DXR is enabled for the best overall experience:

Chromatic Aberration
    Film Grain
    Vignette
    Lens Distortion

The DXR Reflections Quality settings control how many rays are used in the scene, as well as what object surfaces receive those rays. Visual differences between the presets will scale according to the number of objects needing rays.

4. AlmondMan

AlmondMan Master Guru

GPU:
    5700 XT Red Devil
    It's funny how everything now a days seem to be only about getting as many FPS as possible and noone cares about graphics becoming nicer. The performance tanks, sure. But you can still play at 1080p with no problems. It's just too bad that the singleplayer part of this game is hilariously bad and should not be played. We can call it a techdemo. But hey, all those people buying 2080 Ti cards to play max FPS at 1080p can use this and get a fun time at native.

Aura89 likes this.

5. Bigbeard1986

Bigbeard1986 Member Guru

GPU:
    16gb
    The worst thing about is that the 2080ti costs $1,200. Why sell something that is not usable? The only thing that can save the 20 series is their DLSS. However, i am starting to believe that it too is a gimmick.

I did buy a 2080ti and maybe was foolish, but the card itself is still very powerful...but the price tag is bery wrong, since we are paying for something that is not used.

ScreamerRSA likes this.
  6. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2 x GeForce 1080 Ti
    It's funny how you think playing at 1080p on ultra-high-end hardware is acceptable in 2018. It isn't! Frankly, I haven't touched 1080p since getting a 1440p monitor last year and I would never drag myself down to such a low resolution ever again. And all for what? Better water reflections? If ray-tracing completely transformed the game with absolute visual fidelity and quality then I might see it as being worth it but that's not the case - instead, you lose 50% of your FPS for better water reflections, which would hardly be noticeable in actual gameplay (and that's just on low settings - medium-to-high is virtually unplayable).

Whatever the merits of the technology, ray-tracing is simply not worth it at this time on BFV (or probably any other game) and you're better off gaming with DXR off. Perhaps in a few generations this tech might prove its worth, but right now it's a definite no. As far as I'm concerned, ray-tracing on Turing is a tech demo, nothing more (hopefully we'll see far more powerful RT capabilities with 7nm).

7. SniperX

SniperX Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX2080S Trio
    Extract from the BFV "Known Issue List" :

DirectX

• Micro-Stuttering
    • If you’re running on Direct X 12 and seeing microstuttering in-game, go into the Video settings in-game and toggle Direct X 12 off. Ignore the pop-up, exit back to the options screen, then restart your game.
    • Microstuttering can also be down to a driver issue, whether it’s a driver conflict or the latest driver for your graphics card not working well with Battlefield V. If you’ve already tried a clean reinstall of your graphics drivers, you may just need to wait for a new driver to fix it.

DXR
    • Direct X Raytracing - The BFV 11-14-2018 Update which introduces first release of DXR ray tracing shipped with a couple of known bugs. We recommend in this first release of DXR ray tracing that “DXR Raytraced Reflections Quality” be set to “Low” for the best experience. We will continue to work with Nvidia to further enhance your ray tracing experience.
    • “Medium” DXR quality preset setting not applied correctly
    • May cause performance and quality in the “Medium” preset to vary depending on which preset you selected last
    • DXR Performance degraded in maps which feature a lot of foliage
    • This particularly effects War Stories “Liberte” and “Tirailleur”
    • DXR is not automatically enabled for users who can use the tech
    • This is known. We've provided a brief guide on enabling which includes downloading latest BFV update, Windows update, and GPU drivers.

pharma and fantaskarsef like this.
  8. Koniakki

Koniakki Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC GTX 1080Ti FE
    /nvm

Last edited: Nov 15, 2018
  9. Camaxide

Camaxide Active Member

GPU:
    MSI 1080 Ti Gaming X SLI
    We knew from the very start that ray tracing would have an impact on FPS, and frankly I'm impressed that it does not cost more than it does.. it's ray tracing after all.
    Now.. the fun part is that the new RTX cards can do renders at 1080p and upscale it very well to say 4K, and then it can run without AA - and use DLSS instead.. now with all of this running you may actually have 4K-60HZ gaming running with superior AA(DLSS) and do so as good as you would run normal 4K-60HZ gaming. BFV just released its first version. and it's the first game in history to run ray tracing, so I hardly think it's failed in any way... I remember Doom 3 coming out with the new Dynamic lights.. it could only do 2-3 dynamic lights in one scene before completely cripling the best of hardware, and it was discussed if the feature was simply stupid and a 'gimmick' as it ruined the FPS for most - but how would we be without dynamic lights in many of todays games? This is the beginning of something new and great - and if it had been running perfectly with all whistles on at 4K 120FPS today - then they would not have waited until now to release it... It is out now because this is the day we can barely run this on todays technology.. and these cards will make it possible to push that envelope further, so that we soon enough will do effortless raytracing. :)

10. Koniakki

Koniakki Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC GTX 1080Ti FE

11. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Duke GTX1080Ti
    Koniakki likes this.
  12. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080Ti @h2o
    Probably not even that... I guess it will be ready for BF 2143 :cool::D

13. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6900xt / RTX3090
    Early days for a brand new tech , hopefully within the next 3 years we should have affordable video cards on all price range that can do RTX properly , we are not there yet.

-Tj- likes this.
  14. Fox2232

Fox2232 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    There is minimum raytracing throughput required to have reasonable IQ and fps at same time. That means you need some, not so small transistor investment.
    My guess is that we need ~6B transistors invested just into RT to get good enough results. That's extra cost for GPU which needs to remain competitive on rasterization side of things.

I am really not sure when we are to see mainstream priced GPUs with 18~20B transistors.

15. Robbo9999

Robbo9999 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX1070 @2050Mhz
    RTX 2070 has 11B transistors, GTX 1070 has 7B, so lets say transistor number increases by 1.5x every 2 yrs - so about 4 yrs from now and 2 GPU generations from now to hit about 20B+ transistors.

Fox2232 likes this.

16. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus TUF 3080 OC
    At 1080p... how many of us here use 1080p?

17. xg-ei8ht

xg-ei8ht Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1gb 6870 Sapphire
    Vega 64 is as fast if not faster in BFV then 2070 obviously no Ray Tracing.

But on a 2070, the Ray Tracing is way too slow.

Thing with this tech is. It's the first Installment. Not worth buying until a couple of generations and needs to mature.

But some may still want it for other single player games etc.

18. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti

Ha ha...exactly. This cycle is repeated anew.

19. Fox2232

Fox2232 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Only issue is that 2070 is not exactly at mainstream price. In 4 years, we are likely going to be still at 7nm as AMD stated that it is here to stay for longer. (And that's probably why they invested early into 7nm.)

So, question is: Will GPU w/ 20B transistors on 7nm cost around same as mainstream today (inflation included). I kind of think we may need 5nm or MCM to get cost under control.
    But even if it is not priced in way that we could call it mainstream, it would be much more affordable and make more sense.
    = = = =
    Side note, I knew that performance would tank this way from math provided by developers of new Metro. And I was like:
    "Let's bring topic of 720p benchmarking. Maybe even troll with running 720p CPU benchmarks on games with raytracing."

Robbo9999 likes this.
  20. georaldc

georaldc Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6970
    Am I reading those graphs wrong, or is Medium DXR performing better on the 2080 than on the 2080 Ti?