1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Battlefield V Raytracing Features are now enabled (benchmarks)

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Nov 14, 2018.

1. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Maha Guru

GPU:
    1080 Gaming X SLI
    You must be new to sli... 1. Use dx11. 2. Use the sli profile from the previous game using the same engine... in this case meaning star wars battlefront 2.

BangTail likes this.
  2. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080Ti
    The tech is used for more than just reflections - Tomb Raider is using it for Shadows, Metro for AO, in a generation or two there will be games will be utilizing it for all lighting systems. Why would engine devs want to spend thousands of man hours creating hackery "fake" lighting effects for multiple edge cases, that don't even provide accurate simulations, when they can have one system that handles everything? You can also accelerate sound, collision detection and a bunch of other stuff they already do with raytracing in current games. The hardware will improve to accelerate it better and the denoising will improve to decrease the number of rays necessary - game devs will learn to use it better across a wider function of cases with better optimization.

The scaling on BF5 with RT on proves there is more left in the tank on these cards to handle increased LODs/details now. The frametime is held back by RT only which acts as a completely separate process on the chip. Further the main thing holding back increased lod/asset details is just artists. Look at Epic's Paragon - character models there were insane - performance was fine. 99% of games don't even hit that level of detail. Nothing holding it back but people just spending the time doing it.

In a generation or two consoles will be streaming games from the cloud - Microsoft/Sony/Nvidia even Google have all actively stated that's the direction they are going. So the performance argument about consoles won't even be relevant. Also the Xbox One X is like 6tflops already, a RTX2070 is like 7.5 and console users love 30fps.

Your comparison to PhysX is stupid. GPU PhysX wasn't adopted into Vulkan/DX, PhysX only worked on one vendor's GPUs, PhysX wasn't alleviating massive amounts of work in the development process. PhysX just aided in performance and/or added more of the same onto the screen. The best comparison to RT is the one I already made - tessellation was implemented by both Khronos, Microsoft - came with a massive performance penalty but the long term benefits and usecases for it led to an increased adoption by game developers and focus on GPU architectures to accelerate it and make it ubiquitous in gaming in both PC and consoles.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2018
    Aura89, pharma and fantaskarsef like this.
  3. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Maha Guru

GPU:
    1080 Gaming X SLI
    https://forums.guru3d.com/threads/b...enabled-benchmarks.423914/page-6#post-5607457

Streaming games from the cloud wont be a universal solution until everyone who could possibly wish to game has a sufficient internet connection, which far from everyone has. In denmark for instance you still have alot of people on less than 20 mbps connections, cause their only option is old phone cables.

Console users might not be against 30 fps, but they are against low resolution, hence why the xbox one x is praised for often using native 4k. That aint happening with raytracing, unless the fps target is changed to 10...

BangTail likes this.
  4. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080Ti
    It doesn't have to be a universal solution - the XB1X isn't a universal solution it's an option. Internet connections are getting faster - compression is getting better.

You don't need to run the RT sim at 4K, you can run it at 1080p and scale it to match 4K raster. The AI scaling is getting better by the minute - last year the tech was a pipedream that everyone said would take decades now it's doable in real time at 60fps. Honestly even 4K just two years ago everyone on Guru3D was siting here going "not possible on consoles, PC superior leloleoleoe" and now you're sitting here saying it's expected lol.

I've been on this forum since 2004 and it's hilarious how myopic people have been over years on new technology.

nhanphan1990, pharma and fantaskarsef like this.

5. DavTight

DavTight New Member

GPU:
    Sli 2080Ti
    I use sli from a tri sli of 480GTX and every generation after so I am less new than you i presume... Here the issue is I need DX12 to get raytracing. In DX11 I get 90PFS in Ultra 4K so there is no need of SLI...

6. BangTail

BangTail Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC
    BFV does not support SLI in DX12 and probably wont if previous BFs are anything to go by.

It doesn't even officially support it in DX11 although you can use the Battlefront 2 profile as @Dragam1337 said.

Dragam1337 likes this.
  7. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080Ti
    Took DICE 6 years to ship a BF with working Mantle/DX12 period. DX12 Multi-GPU will be ready by 2142.

8. BangTail

BangTail Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC
    I thought I was going to have regrets when I ditched SLI, but it is the best move I've made vis a vis PC gaming in a long time.

pharma likes this.
  9. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Maha Guru

GPU:
    1080 Gaming X SLI
    Well, if it is to have the benefit you speak of (so that they don't need to spend time of faking it, and can just use RT instead), then it needs to be a universal solution across all platforms, otherwise RT will just be a gimmicky addon for one or two platforms, as is the case now.

True you could, but even rendered at 1080p, it is massively demanding, especially if you make RT take care of everything from lighting to shadows (again, so no work is needed doing fake baked solutions).

I am not saying that 4k is expected by console users, i am saying that the xbox one x is praised for being able to do it more often than not, unlike the other consoles. And i think that people who made the jump and has gotten used to 4k will be less than happy with having to go back to 1080p... i know i would be !

Don't get me wrong, i think that raytracing as a technology is amazing, but as it stands right now, its usage in games ticks every box of a gimmick. A day where we can do a fully raytraced game, where it isn't just a small aspect of the game that is raytraced (and only doable by a few select hardware devices, on only one platform and only a few games), and do it at 4k and 60+ fps, is just maaaany years away. I don't know how much more demanding it would be to make a fully raytraced scene in a game (with raytracing taking care of literally everything), compared to just using raytraced reflections, but a fair guess would be more than 10 times more demanding... we are maaaany years away from having hardware powerful enough for that.

-Tj- likes this.
  10. SniperX

SniperX Active Member

GPU:
    MSI RTX2080 Duke OC
    Comments on BFV settings when using DXR, as per Nvidia :

We recommend disabling the following settings from Video-->Basic when DXR is enabled for the best overall experience:

Chromatic Aberration
    Film Grain
    Vignette
    Lens Distortion

The DXR Reflections Quality settings control how many rays are used in the scene, as well as what object surfaces receive those rays. Visual differences between the presets will scale according to the number of objects needing rays.

11. AlmondMan

AlmondMan Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 480 Nitro+
    It's funny how everything now a days seem to be only about getting as many FPS as possible and noone cares about graphics becoming nicer. The performance tanks, sure. But you can still play at 1080p with no problems. It's just too bad that the singleplayer part of this game is hilariously bad and should not be played. We can call it a techdemo. But hey, all those people buying 2080 Ti cards to play max FPS at 1080p can use this and get a fun time at native.

Aura89 likes this.
  12. Bigbeard1986

Bigbeard1986 Member Guru

GPU:
    16gb
    The worst thing about is that the 2080ti costs $1,200. Why sell something that is not usable? The only thing that can save the 20 series is their DLSS. However, i am starting to believe that it too is a gimmick.

I did buy a 2080ti and maybe was foolish, but the card itself is still very powerful...but the price tag is bery wrong, since we are paying for something that is not used.

ScreamerRSA likes this.
  13. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2 x GeForce 1080 Ti
    It's funny how you think playing at 1080p on ultra-high-end hardware is acceptable in 2018. It isn't! Frankly, I haven't touched 1080p since getting a 1440p monitor last year and I would never drag myself down to such a low resolution ever again. And all for what? Better water reflections? If ray-tracing completely transformed the game with absolute visual fidelity and quality then I might see it as being worth it but that's not the case - instead, you lose 50% of your FPS for better water reflections, which would hardly be noticeable in actual gameplay (and that's just on low settings - medium-to-high is virtually unplayable).

Whatever the merits of the technology, ray-tracing is simply not worth it at this time on BFV (or probably any other game) and you're better off gaming with DXR off. Perhaps in a few generations this tech might prove its worth, but right now it's a definite no. As far as I'm concerned, ray-tracing on Turing is a tech demo, nothing more (hopefully we'll see far more powerful RT capabilities with 7nm).

14. SniperX

SniperX Active Member

GPU:
    MSI RTX2080 Duke OC
    Extract from the BFV "Known Issue List" :

DirectX

• Micro-Stuttering
    • If you’re running on Direct X 12 and seeing microstuttering in-game, go into the Video settings in-game and toggle Direct X 12 off. Ignore the pop-up, exit back to the options screen, then restart your game.
    • Microstuttering can also be down to a driver issue, whether it’s a driver conflict or the latest driver for your graphics card not working well with Battlefield V. If you’ve already tried a clean reinstall of your graphics drivers, you may just need to wait for a new driver to fix it.

DXR
    • Direct X Raytracing - The BFV 11-14-2018 Update which introduces first release of DXR ray tracing shipped with a couple of known bugs. We recommend in this first release of DXR ray tracing that “DXR Raytraced Reflections Quality” be set to “Low” for the best experience. We will continue to work with Nvidia to further enhance your ray tracing experience.
    • “Medium” DXR quality preset setting not applied correctly
    • May cause performance and quality in the “Medium” preset to vary depending on which preset you selected last
    • DXR Performance degraded in maps which feature a lot of foliage
    • This particularly effects War Stories “Liberte” and “Tirailleur”
    • DXR is not automatically enabled for users who can use the tech
    • This is known. We've provided a brief guide on enabling which includes downloading latest BFV update, Windows update, and GPU drivers.

pharma and fantaskarsef like this.
  15. Koniakki

Koniakki Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC GTX 1080Ti FE
    /nvm

16. Camaxide

Camaxide Member

GPU:
    MSI 1080 Ti Gaming X SLI
    We knew from the very start that ray tracing would have an impact on FPS, and frankly I'm impressed that it does not cost more than it does.. it's ray tracing after all.
    Now.. the fun part is that the new RTX cards can do renders at 1080p and upscale it very well to say 4K, and then it can run without AA - and use DLSS instead.. now with all of this running you may actually have 4K-60HZ gaming running with superior AA(DLSS) and do so as good as you would run normal 4K-60HZ gaming. BFV just released its first version. and it's the first game in history to run ray tracing, so I hardly think it's failed in any way... I remember Doom 3 coming out with the new Dynamic lights.. it could only do 2-3 dynamic lights in one scene before completely cripling the best of hardware, and it was discussed if the feature was simply stupid and a 'gimmick' as it ruined the FPS for most - but how would we be without dynamic lights in many of todays games? This is the beginning of something new and great - and if it had been running perfectly with all whistles on at 4K 120FPS today - then they would not have waited until now to release it... It is out now because this is the day we can barely run this on todays technology.. and these cards will make it possible to push that envelope further, so that we soon enough will do effortless raytracing. :)

17. Koniakki

Koniakki Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC GTX 1080Ti FE
  18. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus ROG Strix GTX1070
    Koniakki likes this.
  19. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti @h2o
    Probably not even that... I guess it will be ready for BF 2143 :cool::D

20. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti - RX 580
    Early days for a brand new tech , hopefully within the next 3 years we should have affordable video cards on all price range that can do RTX properly , we are not there yet.

-Tj- likes this.