Battlefield V Raytracing Features are now enabled (benchmarks)

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Nov 14, 2018.

1. omagic

omagic Member

GPU:
    GIGABYTE GTX 1080
    well... no , that doesnt convince me a bit. As for now RTX is soo awesome that theres1(ONE!) playable game using it, it is killing the performance and GPU's providing it are way too expensive(i graduated math/inf like 10 years ago so im afraid im not too ypung :( :p )

2. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    This is a pretty ignorant comment in itself.

I'm among the crowd that really doesn't care about the "eye-candy" in games. Ray-tracing will never change that. If the story line for the game is horrible, ray-tracing will not fix it. If the gameplay mechanics are horrible, again, ray-tracing won't fix it. Ray-tracing is not a magical "fix-all" for piss poor story or crap game play mechanics. This is why game studios get away with releasing such crap games. Because too many "gamers" care more about visual effects than the actual game play and story line. Visual effects should enhance a game, not be the sole focal point you're making them out to be.

Fox2232 likes this.
  3. JoonyDoom

JoonyDoom Member

GPU:
    RTX 2080
    I was actually impressed that RTX ON almost works now on Battlefield 5. Was playable at 2k at *ok* frames and looked sweet, least till it crashed after about 10 minutes of play. I am amazed how bad DX12 it is so very choppy. Does not give me much hope for RTX as DX12 is just as bad and probably why RTX is crashing. DX 11 forever I guess.

4. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    Ray-tracing and DX12 are the future. They will both improve over time. However, for most gamers that actually focus on game play and story, neither will be "make or break" features. There are more of us that are interested in the actual game, than there are those that sit and stare at the scenery....

5. tensai28

tensai28 Maha Guru

GPU:
    2080ti MSI X TRIO
    Actually the problem is more of that this engine performs poorly with dx12 on nvidia cards. Take a look at other games on this engine; battlefront 2 and battlefield 1. Both of these are unplayable on dx12 for nvidia. Even the devs recommended dx11 for nvidia cards on battlefront 2. Games like mankind divided and shadow/ rise of the tomb raider however all work great with dx12. Seems odd that they would pick this game to be the first to demonstrate ray tracing when it clearly has issues with dx12. I still think ray tracing might be somewhat do-able with other games but really isn't going to be practical for another generation or two.

6. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    I'm sorry that you don't understand how new technology is always slowly adopted.

Nothing ignorant about it, it's plain and simple sad that people don't understand technology, but come to a forum like this and make posts that seem like they do, and then all of the sudden, poof, something like ray tracing comes out that will revolutionize game development and game quality, and out come the people who have zero clue or care to understand what it means but talk badly about it because of their uneducated "opinions".

It's plain and simple, sad.

BangTail and pharma like this.
  7. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    Speaking of uneducated opinions....

You make it sound like Ray Tracing, on it's own, is going to magically make game play and story better. It won't. All Ray Tracing will do, is make games more visually appealing to those that care to pay the price premium for it. If the story line for the game is poorly developed, adding Ray Tracing is not going to improve it. If game play mechanics suck, adding Ray Tracing is not going to improve it. Ray Tracing is purely visual. It will ultimately do nothing to improve game quality. A crap game will always be a crap game, regardless of how great the image quality is or how realistic the scenes look. If the story line and game play mechanics are both complete crap, the game will simply be pretty looking crap.

8. BlackZero

BlackZero Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX Vega
    I don't think some people quite understand why they play games anymore.

It's meant to be a form of entertainment, like watching a great movie or reading a classic book.

I grew up reading books or the odd movie when we were allowed, and only really played games in the arcade. My parents sure as hell weren't going to buy me a gaming console in the 80s, so it wasn't until I was in my teens that I could afford to buy one myself.

Point being, if you get the majority of your kicks from seeing 'realistic graphics', you'd have a lot more fun by simply going outside.

sykozis likes this.
  9. Yxskaft

Yxskaft Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX Titan Sli
    If the public opinion of raytracing is to change, the tech simply has to prove itself for gaming. As it is now, the majority of the public considers it too an expensive feature that doesn't improve the game over the traditional and cheaper rasterization techniques.
    Until the hardware for raytracing has advanced enough that it can be enabled with a minimal performance impact, or a revolutionary game comes out which shows game-changing aspects only possible with raytracing, its status as a novelty feature for the enthusiasts is unlikely to change.

I must also say, IRL I've never seen as strong water and snow reflections as in BFV using raytracing.

10. BlackZero

BlackZero Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX Vega
    Real life isn't historically accurate. :D

eGGroLLiO likes this.