Battlefield V: GeForce RTX 2080 Ti Rotterdam Gameplay

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Aug 30, 2018.

1. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Noisiv posted it in the 2080Ti thread in the Nvidia section:

Key points from the video taken from a reddit thread:
    • Dice developed the game with Titan V with no dedicated RT Core to run specific Ray Tracing functions. They only received Turing 2 weeks before this demo. They are planning to improve the fidelity at launch as Turing can accelerate these functions better than the Tensor Cores in Titan V

• Ray tracing is running at 1:1 parity with Raster resolution. DF changed the resolution around and got the following: 1080p @ 60fps, 1440p @ 40-50 fps, and 4K @ 20fps

• Dice is planning to allow greater control of RT settings including changing the amount of rays shot per pixel, scaling the RT resolution independent of rasterized resolution (e.g. Game at 4K, RT at 1080p or lower), or using intelligent upscaling of lower resolution RT using AI denoising/checkerboarding.

• Expecting 30% RT performance improvement with one type of optimization (merging separate instances in various objects).

• Demo is using RT Cores after the rasterization of G-Buffer. They are planning to run the RT Cores in parallel asynchronously.

• Dice is happy to have Real time RT in hardware instead of coming up with time-consuming non interactive or inaccurate raster techniques to cover various cases.
    In the video he also mentions that they aren't using the Tensor cores at all for denoising/scaling, but doing their own algorithm. I don't know what that's running on but doing that portion the Tensor cores should theoretically free up performance as the Tensors are completely separate from the FP cores.

airbud7 and fantaskarsef like this.
  2. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
    Well, they picked the perfect freaking game to introduce ray tracing lmao. Like, let's take the most controversial upcoming game and... make it even more controversial, by adding some highly demanding new tech that is powered by an even more controversial gpu. No really, 1500 euros for alleged 60 fps (I bet it's lower) at 1080p in 2018, really??!!

wow, just wow, seriously...

I watched several videos of that map with ray tracing on and HONESTLY it looks crap to me, like everything is super duper shiny and bright, coupled with that horrible FOV it would literally make me puke. o_O

CrazyBaldhead and -Tj- like this.
  3. jesteves

jesteves Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1080 Gaming X @ 2100
    BF V has been delayed to 20 November...

4. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080Ti @h2o
    You mean the game or only coop?

5. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
    fantaskarsef likes this.
  6. SniperX

SniperX Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX2080S Trio
    OMF people are negative. "Will my monitor display ray tracing?" Holy s..., yes it will, if it can display millions of colors between black and white then yes, you will see those pixels :confused: "I don't want graphics realism to advance, it must stay the same...I want more frames for less money", blah blah. While you're at it, why don't you ridicule Microsoft for implementing DXR in the first place? AMD for sure has hardware in the works to leverage DXR. Raytracing will replace rasterization eventually for tracking 3D objects and determining the color of each pixel in a scene. Thank you Microsoft and Nvidia for taking this leap, even while no one has faith...

schmidtbag and Noisiv like this.
  7. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX980Ti OC
    Well said

8. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Is a togglable graphics option that's going to be in the game for the next decade, usable by both vendor's GPU's, really that controversial?

The implementation is brand new, it's been in the game for less than a few months - built on older hardware where they couldn't iterate as quickly and they already have several improvements in the pipeline designed to significantly increase performance and improve the quality. What exactly is the issue here other then once again people fighting against progress?

9. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    2080Ti @h2o
    hehe thanks for sharing.

Yeah... they screwed up... like under any circumstances they would delay a launch because of gamer feedback... they must really think people are as stupid as potatoes to believe that. They just f'ed it up somewhere in development probably. It already says more than enough that they aren't even closely offering every SP mode at launch...

Last edited: Aug 30, 2018
  10. The Laughing Ma

The Laughing Ma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 2070 Super
    The big question is will this make my game better? Remember this is a first person multiplayer shooting fest where 90% of your time is spent looking down the barrel of a gun while hauling ass. In what circumstances am I really going to be spending time looking at puddles to see if it is reflecting the light source from that building correctly or staring at a car door to see if the fire effect is being reflected correctly (of more cocern in that instance would be the early 1900s car sitting in the middle of a warzone with a Meguirs style polish finish on it's body work but that's another matter) what I am asking is when as I said 90% of my time is running around and shooting people is the slightly off texture, inaccurate reflection in that pool of water that I spent 0.7s looking at as I sprinted by going to suddenly rip me away from the gameplay.... NO, no it isn't!

Now I am not sure what level of involvement EA has with this how much man power and man hours they have to invest to work with Nvidia on implementing this kind of tech in their game but here's the thing I don't care about how accurate and life like puddle reflections are EA I care about does were I shoot result in a hit, hit boxes have always been a janky mess in BF games, will the servers be riddled with cheats, again something that BF games have always had an issue with, will my game be stable (some have some haven't) and will I have to eventually dig my way through eight tons of lootbox rubbish once the main player base has bought in and you have decided that you need more money?

11. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super

6 months ago If someone had told us we were about to get ingame Ray-Tracing with Deep Learning anti-aliasing, we'd called him mad o_O

Everyone and their dog complained "oh it's just Kepler on steroids; ohh it just overclocked Maxwell; meh more of the same, we need shiny new"
    and now when we get shiny new, physically accurate rendering which makes dozens of problems and artifacts a thing of the past, they;re like: NO! WE WANT MORE OF THE SAME OLD

But nvm, complaining is fine. Resistance to change is to be expected. If RTX/DXR are good, they're going to rule. If not, they will die. Simple as that.

schmidtbag and fantaskarsef like this.
  12. anxious_f0x

anxious_f0x Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 3090 FE
    People on these forums amaze me sometimes, constantly complaining that all we get is console ports and that developers don’t push our pc’s hardware, then new tech comes along that does push the hardware and still people complain that the resolution isn’t high enough, or the frame rate isn’t high enough.

You’ve got to start somewhere with new ways of rendering, I see is as the start of a revolution in how games are created, not a backwards step.

13. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080 Dual OC
    No objection to progress, just that since RT is a feature Nvidia is highly touting, one would think they would encourage wider adoption of it with far more friendly pricing. Especially since its a feature that many with higher res monitors are likely to turn off. But whats $1199 for a good cause, eh (Nv's pockets).

Solfaur likes this.
  14. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    They could easily make the ray tracing run at half the resolution and it should improve the performance a lot. I'm surprised how well it runs even at this stage. It's only going to get better and better once they know how to optimise it better. With proper optimisations it will likely run quite well even at 1440p.

In the future this is going to help a lot since doing reflections with rasterisation is just pure hack. Dynamic light and shadows too. It needs awfully lot of work from artists and tech artists to get it look right. Pre-baking the lights may look nice at first glance (like Mirror's Edge for example) but that approach just would not work once you add dynamic lights, day and night cycles or dynamic environments.

This is a rather impressive first step but the next get ray tracing capable card built with 7nm should make this practical in all situations.

15. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    TU102 is a 750mm2+ die.
    And yet how come we dont hear those voices who used to complain about cheap&easy to produce 300ish mm2, or so called mid-range Gx104. I don't hear them using the same mm2 metric and defending this horrible price of 1300 euro because super-high-end, because sh1tload of features and because it's expensive/hard to produce.

Yes.
    It's mind boggling that both shadows and reflections are done at full resolution. Like wtf... cut them in 1/3 and they'll still be great, and more importantly - accurate.

airbud7, fantaskarsef and Anarion like this.

16. tensai28

tensai28 Maha Guru

GPU:
    2080ti MSI X TRIO
    What are we complaining about? Ray tracing is a new tech. We still don't know how it will do at 4k(unless I missed something?) without raytracing. There is an option to disable it right? I'd say keep raytracing disabled for 4k for at least a generation or two.

17. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080 Dual OC
    Yes, its more costly to produce... yet in the end they are laughing their way to the bank with the 63% margins they made from their last quarter.

p.s. I presume they want us to buy these to go with our shiny new RTX cards...:rolleyes:
    [​IMG]

18. PolishRenegade

PolishRenegade Member

GPU:
    RTX 2070
    That's what grinds my gears. Reading these posts about "gamers" complaining that they can't get top-of-the-line tech for cheap. Ray tracing, deep-learning AA and an upgrade of possibly 30%+ FPS for traditional computing and that's not good enough? That's about the difference between a GTX580 and 680... 680 and 780, and the 780 and 980... what happens every ~2 years.

NVIDIA keeps pushing the tech forward and until there is competition from AMD, they are still the best money can buy. If those complaining can't afford the 2070+, they probably couldn't afford a 1080 either, so why do they care? Just skip a generation or wait for prices for the 1000 series to drop (already happening).

19. Fox2232

Fox2232 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    On other hand, they thought that nV is cheating with their numbers too. Can you actually run that raytracer w/o AI cleaning involved?

because nVidia's statement about Gigarays/s is based on subjective result image. I wonder what would be result if you actually made benchmark which just counts ray checks performed.

Take it this way:
    1 Gigarays/s
    1920x1080 = 2,0736 M pixels on screen
    60fps on same screen = 124,416M pixels on 1080p screen per second for 60fps gaming if 1 ray per pixel is done.

Raytracing unit capable to do 1 Gigarays/s can perform 8 rays per pixel on 1080p screen and still deliver 60fps.

With 8 rays per pixel, you do not even need denoiser. Now take into account what kind of raytracing performance nVidia advertises And fact that in those games, raytracing is applied only on some pixels. Like reflective surfaces, places where shadows are expected, ...

Last edited: Aug 30, 2018
  20. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    2080Ti @h2o
    hehe yeah I know what you mean :D
    Only that I wouldn't even have the space for that thing tbh, that's why for me they're a fail, and I'm more interested in Samsung's normal TVs that get Freesync. At least I can get them in a size I can put into my living room without having to move my furniture...